• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feet Pain In the Parks

Dreams0308

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone, this is a weird question - but I thought any advice might be considered a "strategy"....

I just got back from a short trip to WDW over the weekend. We went to EPCOT Saturday and Sunday and Magic Kingdom Monday.

It was SOO hot there - I knew it was going to be hot but not THAT HOT and HUMID..... for me it was almost unbearable. That's kind of a whole other issue...but

I'm 24 and I have flat feet. I wore my tennis shoes to the parks - ones that I have had for a while (a good brand) and walk in at my lunch break at work. After the first day, I had TONS of blisters on my feet and they were starting to ache. I knew I would be sore from walking in the parks all day....but the blisters were really the worst. The next day, my feet started to get incredibly sore after a few hours and that ontop of the painful blisters made it really hard to me to walk at a normal pace, so I felt like I was a slow poke (for my standards). By the end of the night - my feet were in really bad shape. Monday when we went to the Magic Kingdom, I was literally miserable. My feet hurt SOOO bad I was basically limping around all day - and we stayed for the MNSSHP that night. I know I sound like a baby but my feet have never hurt this bad in all the times I have been going to WDW. I have never had so many issues. I'm at work now, and my feet are still in pain from this trip. With that and the heat - it made it really hard to enjoy my day at the Magic Kingdom (and my first MNSSHP) and I was really disappointed leaving and MAD at myself for not somehow knowing how to combat these issues.

Does anyone have any advice as to how they see the parks and handle the heat/walking and foot issues? I'm not like horribly out of shape - and I walk a few miles every day at work during lunch - so it's not like I've never walked before. I'm just so upset that I feel like the last day I really couldn't enjoy the MK because I was so focused on the pain and the heat. :( I want to know how to fix this for the next time I go..... :( Any Advice?

Couple quick thoughts. My dh gets blisters, so he buys double layer socks at the running store. Your feet hurting makes me think you need new shoes. Sometimes my arches hurt when it 's time for new shoes. Sorry you had so much pain!!!

I find that really good socks - like runners sweat licking socks - makes a big difference. They aren't cheap, but neither is your trip, kwim?

I also carry blister band aids and mole skin with me to the park in case of immediate need to prevent them from getting worse.

as a preventative, drug stores sell "blister block" that you can smooth on your feet before you put on your socks...seems to help us

I find that really good socks - like runners sweat licking socks - makes a big difference. They aren't cheap, but neither is your trip, kwim?

I also carry blister band aids and mole skin with me to the park in case of immediate need to prevent them from getting worse.

My hubby had this problem last trip - I think he had new shoes, though - bad idea. Possible helps:

Good, non-cotton, moisture-wicking socks. Cotton gets sweaty wet, loses it's shape and rubs

When you feel the start of "hot spots", hopefully before blisters form, apply moleskin to help pad and protect. If you've already got a blister, apply moleskin AROUND, not directly ON it

Alternate between a couple pairs of shoes that hopefully rub/touch your feet at different spots and give you a break.

Sorry you had so much pain!,

Lots of people use the mole skin and say it works wonders. I don't ever have blister problems but my feet hurt pretty bad after day 2 in the park. A few things I have tried over the years are
1. soaking them in the tub at the end of the day and applying Bio Freeze right before bed 2. Switching up shoes so the same pressure points aren't hitting me in the wrong spots
3. Taking an ibuprofen when all else fails

I have really bad plantar fashiatis (spelling) it is when the muscles tighten and then you get this excruciating heel pain. It is really bad. I have to keep stopping and stretching my foot arch to try and relieve the pain. But that is off point.

However for blisters and such (and for my other issue) I would carry in my bag a second pair of comfortable shoes. So for example I wore my sneakers and then had in my bag a pair of Keens that are kind of like crocs. So I would switch out my shoes every couple of hours so that if my foot was starting to feel irritated I could switch and then it would relieve that area and no blister would form.

It was well worth it to carry the second pair of shoes because I never experienced any blisters for the entire time we were there. The foot pain do to the other thing I had to live with unless someone has advice there!. :wizard:

I can vouch for the Smartwool brand of moisture-wicking socks. They have some lightweight versions for running.

Also, get a stick of BodyGlide anti-chafe and apply it to problem areas beforehand.

This used to be me. Exactly. Until I found Keen shoes. I wear Keen St. Barts (the name of the style) shoes and never, ever, ever have blisters or sore feet anymore. Not even when the shoes are brand new out of the box. No blisters, ever. No one has flatter, worse feet than me (ok well maybe someone does, but not very many people!). I was born with clubbed feet and they are terrible. Keen shoes have saved my life. I can walk forever in them.

So I suggest finding some shoes with really good arch support and a deep heel cup that work for you. You may have to try several brands and styles until you find the ones that are just right for your feet, but they do exist. Once I found Keen St Barts I bought many, many pairs. They quit making that style (for now), so I stocked up, and you can still find a few pair on Ebay. But they usually come back again after a couple years. I also have Keen Venice and those are good too but not as good (for me) as the St. Barts.

You might try Orthaheel too - they have great orthotic foot beds and they're not all ugly (like Birkenstocks, etc.).

I could never wear closed shoes with socks in the hot parks all day - first, they make my legs look SOOOO ugly (they cut off your legs at the ankles) and second I would be boiling hot!! They also tend to be heavy and make my legs more tired. The Keen shoes are extremely light, airy and open.

P.S. I just noticed you live in Cranberry Township.... that's where my sister lives!! Small world. :)

Since these weren't new shoes, I'm assuming the blisters were due to having extra sweaty feet due to the heat. I use an antiperspirant called Certain Dri (available at Target...it just to be prescription only but is now available OTC) on my hands and feet starting a week prior to a Disney trip and then use it nightly while at Disney to cut back on the sweating. Moisture-wicking socks would help, too, as would the friction block someone else mentioned (available near the bandaids in most stores). I also take two pairs of shoes and switch them out if my feet start aching. One pair is a walking sandal, the other is my running shoes.

To combat any blisters that do form, I use Liquid Bandages, which just offers a layer of protection.

Maybe you could try alternating between two sets of athletic shoes each day. My feet used to get really sore at WDW, and I've found that wearing a different pair of shoes each day really helps (that's actually a tip that I found here on the Dis ;)). In addition to wearing different shoes each day, I usually take it a step further and change to a different pair at some point during the day, too. We usually go back to our hotel and change in the late afternoon before dinner, and I change into a comfy pair of sandals, which helps me even more when I'm trying to prevent pain.

For blisters, my hubby found these neat little things called Dr. Scholl's Blister Treatment. They're like bandaids, but they're more durable and provide more coverage than a standard bandaid, plus, I think they have some kind of medication in them. I've found them to be very effective.

Back when I could still walk all day, I would wear moisture-wicking socks and change them halfway through the day. I also used Body Glide on my heel, arch, and the sides of my feet, and a menthol foot powder around my toes. I'd put these on in the morning and then reapply them during the socks change. No blisters!

Soaks, lotions, and alternating pairs of shoes are all also good ideas.

Can I ask a dumb question?

Where do you find Body Glide in a brick and mortar store? I've looked, and have only found it on Amazon.

Oh, OP, bless your heart, that's awful. The heat and humidity makes it so much worse, of course. Make sure you hydrate with lots and lots of water, before, during, after.

One thing that really helped my feet was losing some weight off my butt. :lmao: Turns out the feet bones are connected to the butt bones. Even ten pounds made a difference. ;) But that's probably not your deal, so...

Lots of good advice; please do be sure you are not hanging on to your shoes too long. We all tend to do this in our family because good, comfortable shoes tend to be pricey.

Good socks. I prefer ones with some foot arch support. I like my Under Armor brand.

Orthotics; look into them for your flat feet.

Ice your feet (it's uncomfortable but will help so much with the swelling). I come from a family of jocks--we believe in ice! :worship: I take a small lightweight foot pan with us, believe it or not, fill it with ice and water and take the plunge. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. And we never travel without topical pain gel.

Good luck!

I tend to have the same problem, I have very flat feet. I try to wear comfortable shoes that I've already broken-in. But it seems you've done the same. Maybe you need a new pair of shoes, perhaps they're worn and have lost their support? :confused3

With that in mind, I think a good pair of socks can help too. I would look for a new, comfortable pair of shoes maybe a few months before your trip. That way they can be broken-in, and maybe even better at supporting your feet.
Good luck!

This used to be me. Exactly. Until I found Keen shoes. I wear Keen St. Barts (the name of the style) shoes and never, ever, ever have blisters or sore feet anymore. Not even when the shoes are brand new out of the box. No blisters, ever. No one has flatter, worse feet than me (ok well maybe someone does, but not very many people!). I was born with clubbed feet and they are terrible. Keen shoes have saved my life. I can walk forever in them.

So I suggest finding some shoes with really good arch support and a deep heel cup that work for you. You may have to try several brands and styles until you find the ones that are just right for your feet, but they do exist. Once I found Keen St Barts I bought many, many pairs. They quit making that style (for now), so I stocked up, and you can still find a few pair on Ebay. But they usually come back again after a couple years. I also have Keen Venice and those are good too but not as good (for me) as the St. Barts.

You might try Orthaheel too - they have great orthotic foot beds and they're not all ugly (like Birkenstocks, etc.).

I could never wear closed shoes with socks in the hot parks all day - first, they make my legs look SOOOO ugly (they cut off your legs at the ankles) and second I would be boiling hot!! They also tend to be heavy and make my legs more tired. The Keen shoes are extremely light, airy and open.

P.S. I just noticed you live in Cranberry Township.... that's where my sister lives!! Small world. :)

thanks for al the info!! I will try and look for those shoes online. Also, I hate how the tennis shoes make my legs look as well....biggest pet peeve ever but I never knew what else to wear in the parks and decided no one would care what my legs look like...But if I can find those which seem to be more stylish - that would be AMAZING!

Also - what a small world!!! Thats cool - I am not originally from here, but I live here now.

I use blister block, and I alternate shoes every day. I bring 3 pairs and never wear the same pair 2 days in a row. I take ibuprofen at night to help with the soreness, and sometimes even soak my feet in a bathtub of cold water. I'm never pain-free, but it is at least tolerable.

Oh, OP, bless your heart, that's awful. The heat and humidity makes it so much worse, of course. Make sure you hydrate with lots and lots of water, before, during, after.

One thing that really helped my feet was losing some weight off my butt. :lmao: Turns out the feet bones are connected to the butt bones. Even ten pounds made a difference. ;) But that's probably not your deal, so...

Lots of good advice; please do be sure you are not hanging on to your shoes too long. We all tend to do this in our family because good, comfortable shoes tend to be pricey.

Good socks. I prefer ones with some foot arch support. I like my Under Armor brand.

Orthotics; look into them for your flat feet.

Ice your feet (it's uncomfortable but will help so much with the swelling). I come from a family of jocks--we believe in ice! :worship: I take a small lightweight foot pan with us, believe it or not, fill it with ice and water and take the plunge. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. And we never travel without topical pain gel.

Good luck!

Ice is a good idea! Thanks for the info! Yea I'm thinking I need to look into new shoes and better socks too

I have been to Disney several times, and I have only gotten blisters and sore feet once. It was so painful and really put a damper on my vacation. I had worn flip flops for one evening and that was the result. The next time I went, I made sure to always wear moleskin. I precut it into appropriate sized pieces before I left, so all I had to do in the morning was put it on and go. I also started wearing sketchers go walk shoes. I think they are awesome and I have never had a problem wearing them. I am thinking about getting the blister block and trying it this year. I am so nervous I will get them again...but I am sure that between the moleskin, blister block, and comfy shoes, I should be good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter