Field Trips

I grew up in central NJ. This is what I remember…

Elementary
- One we stayed fairly local and went to some of the historic buildings and cemeteries in our town. I know we visited the canon ball house.
- We went to the little museum and nature center in the adjacent mountain area.
- we went to some science museum. I thought it was in Newark but I can’t find anything on it.
- I might be confusing this with preschool or Girl Scouts but we went to the Turtle Back Zoo at some point as well as a local one called the Terry Lou Zoo.
- 5th grade was definitely historic Tarrytown

Middle School
- Something upended the traditional 6th grade trip down the shore. The only field trip I remember was to the county government offices
- Spanish trip to a traditional Spanish restaurant

High school
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- the movies to see Hamlet
- the big 4-day band/choir trip each year- twice in Ocean City, MD, once in Virginia Beach, VA, and once in Williamsburg, VA.
- there were also a lot of local things to perform at local schools
- annual German club trip to this restaurant in the Atlantic Highlands
- while it was only for kids that made it, we got to go to Atlantic City for All State each year
- there were several big annual school trips that I never did and others that fell apart

I remember going to a museum, some outdoor nature place, in elementary school. Nothing in middle school. And the only high school field trip was with my psychology class to Napa State hospital.

School Trips were the bomb! In sixth grade (I think) we got to go to Radio City Music Hall too see the Rockettes and watch a movie-Smokey and the Bandit. I remember we laughed our butts off at the movie and the teachers were horrified because they didn't realize that Jackie Gleason would be cursing so much.

In elementary school our favorite all-time place to go on a trip was to Linvilla Orchards to pick out a pumpkin and take the hay ride. Everyone loved going there. Another cool trip was when we got to go to Lancaster to Amish Country.

I grew up in Philly, so most of our trips were to Philly historical places or museums. I love the Philadelphia Museum of Art to this day and try to get there a couple of times a year.

I grew up in a rural area, so field trips took a lot of effort. I do remember our class going to my 5th grade teacher's farm for a cookout and hunting for civil war relics (minie balls) after studying the Civil War. Yes, some kids found them and someone actually found a button. I think 6th grade was the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. In 7th grade, we went to the Shiloh Battleground and in 8th, the state capitol. We were actually watching the legislative session when it passed the bill to raise the drinking age to 21. I don't remember one single field trip in high school.

Now, with my own kids and as a teacher.... countless field trips. :)

When I was in school, there were none of the extravagant, overnight, out of state field trips that you see these days. Field trips had to be taken during school hours, except in very special circumstances. Fortunately I grew up in the Boston area so there were lots of opportunities: Boston Museum of Science, Freedom Trail, Swan Boats, USS Constitution, the Aquarium, historic things/places/museums in Salem, stuff like that. We also did a 7th grade trip to Nantasket Beach (I think.. or Whalom Park?) and in 9th grade the entire grade went to a Red Sox game (busses drove past Bunker Hill Monument so we could claim it was "educational!)

Can't remember any during grades 1-5, except one to Baton rouge to see the Capital building, and I think the planetarium, and a park
6th grade- Audubon zoo - New Orleans,
only one in grades 7-9, to the World's Fair in New Orleans for a day
the only trips made in high school were related to marching band festivals, all in state. We did go all the way to Lake Charles once, and Natchitoches once. Those were 'big' trips for us.
At some point, maybe 6th grade, we did a swamp tour, Alligator Annie!
There may have been some other local ones, but nothing big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter