• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

film safety

pgjam

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone:
I hope this is the right board for this post. We are going to WDW & just taking carry-on luggage. Will my exposed film be safe going thru the security machines or will I end up w/exposed film? If I finish the roll of film would it be safer to carry it in my pocket & drop it in the basket before I walk thru?
Thanks
Going in 8 days!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I always keep my film in my carry on and have never had a problem with it. The problem is usually the photo of a person whose head I've chopped off, but that's another story!!

I may be mistaken, but I think the latest I heard was that you shouldn't put your film in your CHECKED luggage. Apparently the new scanners for the checked luggage are quite powerful, and there is a real chance that your film would be ruined.

We've never had a problem with carry-on ourselves, but if you are concerned maybe the best thing would be to plan on putting it in the basket just in case. You could always ask the personel at security what they recommend as well.

Have a great trip!

I also saw the news report back in January when they were saying that film should not be in luggage anymore because of the new screening machines. I have been wondering about the carryon too. I always have put it in there in the past, but now that the new machines are up, is it still safe to not ruin my film? I don't mind putting it in the basket, but I carry ALOT of film and it would be much simpler to leave it in the carryon if someone can confirm that it is safe.

And what about video tape?

The new rules are that you should not put film in your checked bags. You can read about it here on Kodak's site. I'm sure there are other places you can find references also.

Additionally, I ask them to handcheck my photo bag that I carry on. It takes only a little bit more time, and I am sure the film doesn't see <i>any</i> xray scanner.

Thanks for the link.

I always thought it was safer to put the film in the checked bags. Thanks for clearing that up!

I like the handcheck of photo bags best. Good advice.

This is good information to know. I will definitely carry them on after this--good advise!

We always take along the mail-order envelopes and mail in our film for development right from WDW as soon as it's complete. Sometimes, we have developed photos waiting for us when we arrive home!:D :D

Having just come back from the World, I just went through Orlando security. They have huge signs posted stating that film in carry-on bags will not be harmed by the x-ray machines they use at the security check point.

Film in carry-on bags can be destroyed by the x-ray machines if it is high-speed. I think it's 800-speed and higher that can be damaged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter