film tip

T

TSI_Fan

Since I work in photo developing, I thought I would give a few quick pointers here from my experience and a few warnings of photo mishaps and what to do. Thought this would be the best place for a thread like this. :)

#1. If your roll of film jams inside your camera, DO NOT open the camera and yank your film out. We have seen people turn in rolls of film where it jammed, they opened the back, yanked the film out, and wrapped the exposed portion of the film around the canister. If this ever happens to you, take your camera to a camera shop or to a photo developing place (again, my stores (Eckerds) have these) and we can put your camera into a black box, open it up, and extract the film and wind it back into the cartridge without causing light damage to the film.

#2. Disposable cameras don't work well in BRIGHT outdoors.

#3. Higher film speed = more grainy film and pictures. When used to take pics in sunny outdoor pictures, this grain becomes evident. Use 400 and 800 speed inside or later in the evening. 100 for bright outdoors, 200 for normal sunny days or well-lit rooms.

#4. airport x-rays can and possibly will damage your film. buy a lead-lined film bag (available at camera stores or photo developing stores) to protect your film / disposable cameras and keep it in your carry on to show security when they question it.

That's it for now. If any of you have film or picture taking questions, reply and I will do my best to answer you. :)

Thanks for the tips, TSI Fan. I'm very much a "novice" photogrpaher and appreciate any help I can get! (I am the kind of person who ends up with photos from Christmas and Easter on the same roll! I am trying to take many more pictures and I figure my upcoming vacation in Disney World is a perfect place to start!)

Regarding the film speed tip, which is the best film speed to use if you plan to use the same type for both days and nights...
Or is that just not a good idea at all?!

Thanks again for posting the information!

Caitlin

How expensive are the lead-lined bags for the film?

What film speed is best when taking a variety of pictures....some being inside, some being outside, it may be sunny....it may be cloudy......etc. Obviously, I don't want to have 3 different cameras each with a different film speed.

I have the same question as displanner regarding taking a variety of pictures (inside, outside, etc.). I am a novice with one camera and obviously can not keep changing film every time our location changes. I have heard several people mention the 400 speed film. Do you notice that the pictures are a lot more grainy with this as opposed to the 100 or 200 speed film? Thanks so much for your advice!

Thanks so much for sharing! These are valuable ideas for many camera novices like me. :)

MomofTMK, I don't think you'll notice any problems with 400 speed film as your only speed. Many of us use that all the time without problems. You may notice problems if you blow up your pictures to 8 X 10s, but you shouldn't have grainy pictures if you use 400 speed film in a good camara and develop normal 4 X 6s.

I take an average of 12 roles of film per trip - average of 1.2 trips per year. My recommendations:

Those "in the know" recommend that you travel with 100 or 200 in your SLR and 400 or 800 in your point and shoot. I know some people cannot be bothered carrying 2 cameras, but it is the only true solution to the problem of trying to shoot bright, sunny Florida outdoor shots and indoor shots. If I have to choose one camera/film, I shoot 200. The 400 has always been disappointingly grainy and is way to sensitive to Florida sunshine from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. If you are working with throwaway cameras, get some of each and always carry one of each with you, using the 400 for low light (indoor, sundown) and 100 or 200 outdoors.

I bought my from LLBean - they have different sizes - prices will run around $20 - a small price to pay to insure that the expense of processing the film is not wasted and precious memories are not lost forever.

Prior to lead lined bags, I have had trouble with airport xrays - not so much one pass through, but more than one pass (in case I had film that made 2 trips...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter