Finally! My Very First Solo Trip - Pictures have been added!!!

eyor44

DIS Veteran
I have wanted to go on a solo trip to Disney World for about 10 years now. I was in Florida for a business trip and was going to end the trip by flying out of Orlando. I thought why not spend a couple of days there before I head home. DH was having none of it. First, we had just been there the year before. Second, why would I possibly want to be there alone? What would I do? He thought it would be a total waste. He just didn’t understand. :sad2:

I have tried periodically through the years to arrange a solo trip, even semi solo by joining my DB for a few days while he attended a conference. Nothing ever worked out. :confused3

I finally thought I had a solo trip arranged for this past January. I signed up for the ½ Marathon and was going to meet up with some Dis friends, but the bulk of the trip would just be me by myself, doing what I wanted to do. :goodvibes Then a friend decided she was going with me. Signed up before she TOLD me she was going with me. (sigh) Oh well, there goes that trip. :sad2:

After January, I decided that was it and next year, I’m going solo. :thumbsup2 I was telling another friend all about the trip and she was like “I wish we could go together, just once.” I wish we could also, but her DH would never let her go anywhere and leave their DD home for him to care for, not for over night, definitely not for 4-5 days. Guess what? :headache: He thought it was a great idea for her to go with me next year. :eek: She has been working really hard at losing weight and getting in shape and he thought the ½ would be a great next goal for her. I’m excited that he said yes, but ……….there goes my solo trip. I told my DH that maybe I just need to give up, that maybe I’m just not meant to go alone. (deep sigh)

Fast forward to yesterday. A co-worker emailed me an announcement of some training she thought I would be interested in. I was.:thumbsup2 But, every time I ask for training that involves travel I get turned down.:sad2: Budgets! :mad: I deal with them at home and at work. But it would be very valuable training and the training itself was free. :goodvibes The only cost involved would be travel related. So, I worked up a proposal and presented it to my supervisor. He approved it (he always does) but it had to go up the chain. Next level approved it. Okay, figured that, but what about the final level. That is where it always gets stopped. :scared: But, we were taking a different approach this time. Just asking for approval to go, not any funding. ::yes:: Low and behold not only was it approved, but the training officer said he would fund it.:thumbsup2 I’m going to training!:banana:

I have my approval, I have my registration completed and I am finally getting some desperately (well, not desperately, but you get the gist) needed training. :cool1:

Where you ask? :rolleyes1 Oh, yeah……well….ummmm it just happens to be in Florida……..Orlando, Florida.:woohoo:

That’s right! I’m going to Disney by myself. :banana: Yes, I will be working each day but come 4:00pm each afternoon, I free until the next morning. :cool1: And with the great discounts that Disney is offering right now, it is much more cost effective for me to stay at Disney than at a hotel close to the training site. ;) After all, we are all under budget constraints, so I feel it is my duty to do this trip as cost saving as possible. It’s going to be hard, but I am willing to make the sacrifice. :thumbsup2

Good for you!!! :thumbsup2

I hope you have a wonderful trip.... you must be a very independent person, I would freak if I had to go to Disney by myself. :lmao:

Look forward to reading more. popcorn::

Thanks, but Disney is wonderful. :cloud9: and if you have to be some place by yourself, then Disney is the place to be. For one thing, I feel very safe there. OH, I know there are bad people everywhere, but at Disney, with all of the security, (seen and unseen) I feel very safe.

Tomorrow's job. Creating the travel documents. Always fun with our tempermental travel system.

I have been busy this morning. Travel documents have been submitted, reservations made and approvals are being collected as I type. :goodvibesTwo months away, but I like to have all of my arrangements made EARLY.:thumbsup2

I am so excited for you!! I've been wanting to do a solo trip for at least three years now and when friends/family learn about my plans, they seem to think I NEED company and ask if they can accompany me. This has happened four times in the last three years.....so now I'm pretty much convinced I'll never get there on my own. :sad2: But I'm thrilled for you!! I am really looking forward to reading more about your solo trip. :cool1:

Thanks Dj!

It is very weird how all of this happened. I am still having a very hard time believing it to be true. I had worked up my package and my supervisor was standing at my desk going on about how he needs another trip, needs out of here for a week, needs to be able to relax in the evenings, blah, blah, blah. After a few minutes, he could suddenly tell that he was getting absolutely no sympathy from me. He just went to Cocoa Beach in January for a week and is going to Virginia for a week in April. Hello! Who stays here and keeps everything running and never gets a break unless I take vacation?!?!. So, I very calmly ask him to his office as I had a proposal to submit. After that, he couldn't very well tell me no. Well, he could have, but then he would have to live with me and he quickly decided that two months of having a happy me over two months of having a not happy me was worth it. They like to keep me happy as they like me to show up for work. And the trip is douable and they CAN live without for a week.:thumbsup2 Plus, if all the guys found out he told me no over something so simple then he would have to deal with all of them giving him a really hard time also. :rotfl: I :love: my guys!

One thing you might try is not to tell anyone about your plans until it is too late for anyone to join you. :rolleyes1 That is what I am doing this time. Not telling any of my friends here about it. I will say no, but I just want to avoid having to do it.

I have a dilemma. Where to stay. I have a desire to eventually stay at every resort at least once. Since I have promised to do this trip as cheap as possible, I am going with a Value. The only one I haven't stayed at is AS Music. Logical choice, right? But for some reason, I am really leaning towards POP. I really liked POP the time we stayed there. I will have a car, so the buses won't be an issue, and I won't be around for meal times, so the food court won't be an issue. I'm just really thinking POP for some reason. I plan to make my resort reservation this coming Monday, so I have a few days to think about it. Where to stay, where to stay........such a problem, right? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have a preliminary schedule, which is subject (read: most likely) to change. :goodvibes

Monday
Arrive to MCO at 10:00am, pick up rental car.
Drive to Disney and check in at (insert resort name here)
If my room is ready, I will drop bags and then get lunch at the resort food court.
Drive to training center for early registration (avoid the madhouse the next morning)
After registration, go to Hollywood Studios. (late EMH)
CS dinner at DHS.

Tuesday
Arrive to training site around 8:15am, first class at 9:00am
(wow! What a late morning for me. I am normally at work for 6:00ish.)
Training to end at 4:00pm
Back to resort to change.
Bus to Magic Kingdom.
CS dinner at MK.
Head to bus when fireworks begin. (I am light sensitive and all the flashing of the fireworks bother me.)

Wednesday
My training doesn’t begin until 1:00, so I will either work in my room, go to the expo near my training site or ……. Naw, I need to work. This is a working trip after all. (I have to keep reminding myself of this:lmao:)
Arrive to training site at 12:30pm.
Training to end at 4:00pm.
Bus to Epcot.
CS dinner at Epcot.
Head to bus when Illuminations begin.

Thursday
Early morning!
Arrive at training site for 7:45.
Training ends at 4:00pm.:woohoo:
:banana:I’m done, no more training, full Disney mode now!:banana:
Bus to Magic Kingdom.
CS Dinner at MK, open until 10:00pm

Friday
Going to go to the Expo part of the conference and then head over to Epcot for the evening and late EMH.

Saturday
Check out of resort:sad1:
If I got to do TSM at DHS on Monday, then I will do rope drop at MK on Saturday.
Then maybe hop to Epcot.
If not, I will do rope drop at DHS to ensure a ride (or two) on TSM.
Then hop to either MK or Epcot until aobut 4:00pm when it will be time to head to the airport for my flight home. :sad1::sad1::sad1:

Not that I am excited or anything about this trip. :rolleyes1 I have just had a slow morning and able to think of a few things I would like to do. :thumbsup2

I think if you're really thinking POP would be a happier place for you to stay then just forego AS Music for now. There's always another time to try AS Music, right? ;)

You sound a little like me because I've had the goal of eating in all the countries at Epcot but haven't succeeded with that goal yet because France has called my name three times too often. Their French onion soup is absolutely topnotch!

I've only stayed at one value resort and that was Sports. I'm just not a big fan of staying at a value resort again because we found the room so small and cramped but there were four of us. Two of us were very tiny, however. (DS5 and DS8) Thank goodness we were just there for sleeping and really didn't care about meals or the pool that trip. I realize there will only be one of you so the room will be comfy and cozy and just the right size. :yay:

(I have to confess :rolleyes1 that we've been staying off property since we started renting homes in Kissimmee for our last few trips. Once I got used to the extra space and my own bedroom when DH wasn't along, having our own pool, having kitchen facilities for easy breakfasts, a washer and dryer, mmhaving the car parked right outside the door, etc. etc. I found it hard to think of going back to one room in a hotel even if it was a Disney resort. Call me a traitor!! :guilty:)

What are your favorites at each park? Like what are your top three attractions at each one?

Yes Dj, I am leaning towards POP, but I am really going to look at maps this weekend and decide by Monday morning. I am fine with a Value as it is just me and I am just happy to be there. Staying off site?!? :scared1: I hope Mickey doesn't find out. I just hope I don't have to flip a coin on Monday morning!

Top three attractions at each Park. That's easy.

Magic Kingdom
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder Mountain
Carousel of Progress

Epcot
Test Track
Living with the Land
Space Ship Earth

Hollywood Studios
Muppets in 3D - I heard will be closed :sad1:
Tower of Terror
One Man's Dream

Animal Kingdom
Dinosaur
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Primeval Whirl - which has been broke the last three times I have tried to ride it. :mad:

So, DH calls me this afternoon and this was our conversation.
DH: When is your trip?
Me: First week of May.
DH: What day will you be home?
Me: Saturday. (thinking, hello, Sunday is Mother's Day)
DH: Okay, I'll be flying out on Sunday then.
Me: Flying? Sunday? Where?
DH: Oh, I forgot to tell you. I am going to a conference and I could fly Monday morning, but if you will be home on Saturday, then I'll fly on Sunday.

So much for my coming home for Mother's Day. :sad2:

I finally figured it out this evening. DH home all week with the kids equals what will be a very messy house. He wants to get out of town before I can find everything that they are sure to do while I am gone. Chicken......:sad2:

Yeah, we tag team parenting a lot, but never like this before. Should be interesting.

I am still trying to decide where to stay and going back and forth between POP and Music. Then my friend Amy pointed me to a review she wrote on Music last summer.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215899
She brought up some very valid points and has always spoken highly of Music.

I have always wanted to stay at Music, it just appeals to me, but for some reason I kept thinking POP. I am going to look at the maps again, one thing I want is to be able to park near my building and I think that would be more douable at Music. I don't want a preferred room and don't care to be near the pools. I am a walker so distance doesn't bother me. I am closer to my decision and will hopefully make up my mind tomorrow. Decisions, decisions........

After a lot of research, reading reviews, reviewing maps, studying resort layouts, I have finally made my decision on a resort. :cool1:

and the resort of choice for this very special, all alone me time is..........

drum roll please.............

:banana:All Star Music Resort!:banana:

I had pretty much decided on this resort but the clincher was this morning when I went on line to check prices again. POP only had preferred rooms left and my last night (the night I am paying for) would be double of the one at Music. Plus there is no way I can take the chance of being on the building side of the pool. Pool stays open until 12:00am and I will need to be asleep before then. I remember how busy it was the time we stayed there. I felt really sorry for those on the pool side who were trying to sleep.

I feel really good about this decision and am going to request to be in one of either the Rock Inn or Broadway Hotel buildings.

Those locations seem to be just what will suit me. :goodvibes

Finally followed you over from my PTR. What a fortunate set of events to allow you to spend time at Disney solo! I agree with you, if I had to go anywhere by myself, Disney would be very high on that list!

congrats on your resort choice. I have heard nice things about Music

Too funny about your DH leaving on Sunday :lmao: Tag team parenting at its best!

Hey Katie, thanks for stopping by.

Note to self: DO NOT tell anyone else about this trip. I mentioned it to one of the guys in another department and he was like, "oh, take our secretary with you. She could use a trip." I was like "uh, uh, uh......no" and thought of a good reason she couldn't go. Worked, but whoa, that was close.

I did tell my DB and he is jeolous. His company won't allow him to stay anywhere's more than 15 minutes away from where his meetings are. :sad2: Poor thing.

But, I am not telling anyone else. I am being totally selfish this time and going by myself. :snooty: I'll tell the kids and Gram the week before I leave.

I do have an aunt (DH's aunt really, but I claim her) who winters in FL about 45 minutes North of Disney. I am thinking that may go see her one evening. I really like her and spending the evening with her would be worth the drive. Not too many people I can say that about, or would be willing to give up an evening at Disney for.:goodvibes

popcorn:: I've now been to Disney so many times solo that it's weird when someone wants to join me on a trip. They throw my entire schedule out of whack. :rolleyes: It's going to be fun. No one telling you where to go, what to do.

I've never stayed at Music - although I'd originally booked there for the January marathon. It didn't take long before I called back and changed it to POFQ. I stayed at the Movies once in 2002 and liked it.

Hey Dolce, thanks for stopping by. We stayed at the Movies this past November and thought the resort was very nice. The room.....could have used a bit more overall cleaning. Dust behind the dressers, under the beds, etc. But that was our only issue.

I have read the thread on Music and the overall reports are that it is a great resort. I am really excited it about it. I thought about changing and my supervisor even told me I could since I could get an AP rate under per diem, but I think I am going to stay where I am. One more resort checked off my list. :thumbsup2

You just don't know how excited I am to be going by myself. Some people think I am nuts, but I have an agenda and just can't wait. :banana:

I have been thinking of things that I want to do on this trip, favorites, must dos, things I have never done before. Of course, I plan to stop on a park bench and just watch the crowds occasionally. I love to do that. Since the Magic Kingdom is my favorite park, I'll begin with that one.

Magic Kingdom
Must dos:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mickey’s PhilharMagic
Big Thunder Mountain RR
Haunted Mansion
Space Mountain
Carousel of Progress
People Mover
Buzz Lightyear
It’s a Small World
Mad Hatter Tea Party
Mickey’s House – Pic w/Mickey
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor

Would like to do:
Jungle Cruise
Swiss Family Tree house
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyer Island
Liberty Belle Riverboat
Pics w/Pooh & Tigger

If I run out of things to do:
Hall of Presidents
Walt Disney Railroad
Magic Carpets
Snow White
Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Stitch

Do you think they will let me on Goofy’s Barnstormer without a child?:upsidedow

Now for Epcot:

Must Dos:
Spaceship Earth
Test Track:car:
Living w/the Land
Maelstrom
Wander through all of the different countries pavilions
I am not going to be buying much this week, but to commemorate my trip I am going to make it by Innoventions to take part in the special meet ‘n greet that is held for the Disney Visa holders.
The free pic will be one of my souvenirs.

Would like to do:
Journey into Imagination w/Figment
Imagination! Pavilion
American Adventure

Not a very big list. :confused3 I am going to think on Epcot some more. I do realize that to really see the countries, one should take their time, but :idea: I'll just have to go over this map some more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter