Finding the Silver Lining in All of This

Love love love this thread!! As another commenter has said, I can’t believe people refuse to acknowledge the positives... when we are discussing THEME PARK OPERATIONS! Maybe we should all be thankful to be having THESE conversations, rather than be worrying about much more serious and live-threatening matters during a global pandemic!

I agree there are many silver linings to be found, and I commend you for staying positive, OP. Long live the silver linings train! Please stand clear of the doors!

Loving this thread! We had a 9-day visit booked starting May 24 that we rescheduled to July 19. We’ve gone to WDW 6 times over the last 10 years and are new DVC owners. This was to be our first big trip as a family (my husband and I plus our 12 yo son and 16 yo daughter). We’ve hemmed and hawed over canceling in July, but we’ve decided to go for it. Here’s what we’re excited about!
  • I recently watched old home movies from Magic Kingdom in the 80s. The crowd back then look like what we may see in July - can’t remember the last time I’ve had room to stretch out on Main St USA.
  • We’re not big parade or firework people - we usually use those times to ride marquee rides.
  • We’re doing a split stay - 4 days at AKL Kidani in a Savannah view 1br. I’ve never stayed at AKL and really looking forward to slower mornings and evenings there. Also hoping our anniversary dinner for 2 at Jiko can still happen!
  • Second half of the week we’re at our home resort in a 1br at Boardwalk. I think strolling along the Boardwalk in the mornings and evenings will be loverly.
  • Masks! I know that they’re not fun to wear, but I also believe the reports that says areas of the world with mask enforcement have almost eliminated Covid. Where I live, 75% of people are going maskless. I think I’ll feel safer at WDW than I do in my local grocery store.
  • Unexpected Disney Magic. I just have a hunch that those of us in the early days back will be treated to special customer experiences. Even if it’s just extra gratitude from the cast members. I look forward to supporting them!
One of my favorite things from last summer when we stayed at Beach Club was getting up early each morning and just me and my middle daughter, 7 at the time, walking all the way around the entire the boardwalk and spending time together. We stopped at the Boardwalk cafe for a sweet treat for breakfast. I loved doing that with her just as much as being in any Disney Park. By the end of the trip my husband and two other kids started joining us each morning. I can’t wait to do that again when they reopen!

For us there's a small streak of silver. We buy APs to attend F&W and time the trips so that we get 2 trips from each AP. This Oct will be the 2nd F&W on our current AP which expires Oct 28. We're renting a villa in Davenport Fla, 20 mins from WDW Feb to March 2021 and hope to be joined by our youngest daughter and her 3 and I'm sure they would have Disney on their minds.This would have forced us to either buy regular tix, hoppers or otherwise, or screw up our AP schedule. With the closing, it appears that Disney will tack on enough days to cover most or maybe all of our Feb trip, solving our ticket problem. I wouldn't wish anyone to even get the sniffles to make this happen let alone the disaster we're living through so I won't call this a Silver Lining, rather a Positive Consequence of this mess. Of course, I imagine F&W may still be up in the air.

Bill From PA

Silver linings....
-Still enjoy the anticipation of our trip in July, no matter how limited the experiences, because a day at Disney is better than a day at work.
-Planning and talking with other posters on this board about Disney trips.
-Celebrating some life changing challenges this year at what better place than Disney
-Looking forward to the leisurely stroll from Bay Lake to Magic Kingdom.
-Dole whips and Mickey pretzels and for my husband and sons the infamous popcorn
-Just looking forward to being in the Disney bubble, no matter what the changes may be

Also, remembering that all these changes are difficult on everyone and just making an effort to be kind to everyone, especially CMs, I want to brighten their days also and be kind. 😁

We canceled a May graduation trip for our daughter. Rescheduled to October. We've decided to stick it out and just make the best of a bad situation.
  • Shorter park hours means we will skip mid-day breaks and just stay until we've had enough. Actual park time won't go down that much, it'll just be reallotted from nighttime to afternoons.
  • Parades? The only parade I'm aware of anymore is Festival Fantasy parade which we never see any way because we are always on mid-day break when it takes place.
  • No Fireworks/Shows will be a drag, but we've seen them all many times so missing them will not absolutely crush our spirits.
  • If certain attractions are closed... well there's attractions closed every year when we go.
  • Regarding wearing masks and whatever other protocols we have to follow, we're just going to try to hang in there. Hopefully with guests spread out a bit there will be opportunities to periodically get relief from the mask when there isn't anyone in close proximity.
  • My fingers are crossed that as restrictions loosen up in general society over the next few months Disney will start be adding back some things :goodvibes
  • We've been through a few trips before that were total washouts due to tropical storms/hurricanes and quite honestly pulling together as a family made those trips fondly memorable :grouphug:

Last edited:

Its too bad I can't cross the border from Canada. This is the Disney I wish would stay. Seeing it like every other theme park makes me very happy. Love the fact pre planning is out the window.

Here's a silver lining for us- this year was going to be the last year with the double stroller, but with shorter park hours, less crowds, and less stuff to carry around w/out meet and greets- we've decided to ditch it for this trip.
We were finally done with the double stroller a couple years ago. I still haven't forgotten how wonderful that felt! Enjoy your trip!

I know a lot of people are upset and disappointed with their plans and trips being ruined. These last few months have really been stressful probably for all of us!
I am an essential worker and have been working full-time outside the home, while trying to homeschool my three young children after extremely long work days. I am exhausted and soooo need a vacation.

I was originally supposed to go to NYC in April and also Hawaii in July for 3 weeks, but both had to be cancelled. I was very sad to lose these trips, and to lose a lot of money too!

I am now trying to make Disney work for us in July before school should hopefully start again in August.

I do know my situation is different than others, and since I know this isn’t a once in a lifetime trip we are really hoping to still make the best of it. We are passholders and we typically visit a couple times a year for 2 weeks at a time. We live in CA, and last week I booked resort reservations for July.

With all these changes to fastpasses, park hopping, magic hours, dining, mask requirements, lack of fireworks, attractions etc... it gets really tough.
However, I am determined to make the best of it.

For those of us still trying to go and praying we can actually get park reservations I thought we can think of some things that we actually can look forward to. Here is my list:

1. All my dining reservations are being cancelled, but maybe this means I will eat somewhere new that I never before considered, and find new favorites!
2. The parks are closing earlier than I would like, but maybe I will actually get a more restful type of vacation than usual.
3. I have to wear a mask in the horrible Florida heat, but wow I found the cutest Disney masks on Etsy today for me and family. That will be me in the shimmery Ariel mermaid tail mask!
4. If resort pools open I have to probably wear a mask on the deck while my kids swim, but maybe this will make me actually get in the water this time, and have fun with my kids swimming. They would love that!
4. I will be at Disney in Florida, in the miserable heat, but at least I won’t be at work!
5. All of my fastpasses are being cancelled, but maybe I can relax more instead of stressing about getting everyone to the attractions on time and checking my watch constantly.
6. With options being limited at Disney maybe I can explore more of the Orlando area and other attractions like I always wanted to, but never could squeeze in.

Anyone have others to add?
I too will make the best out of the situation I like the way you think. 🙂

We were finally done with the double stroller a couple years ago. I still haven't forgotten how wonderful that felt! Enjoy your trip!
But like.. where do you put all your stuff 😉.

for real tho.We’ve never been to Disneyworld,just disneyland and never stayed on site at disneyland. Is it true at Disney world they will send all your crap to your hotel after you buy if?

I already told DH "without the stroller cupholder, where will I put my Starbucks?!?" But hey, without the dining plan, maybe I won't order it as much...or at least not the large size that takes me forever to drink. And guess that's another silver lining- less calories.

for real tho.We’ve never been to Disneyworld,just disneyland and never stayed on site at disneyland. Is it true at Disney world they will send all your crap to your hotel after you buy if?
Haha, I remember wondering that too at first because those large strollers can hold everything!
You adjust somehow, and for us it’s so much better! No more searching for your stroller when a CM has moved it, and at the resorts you can take the stairs if you want!! My kids all have a fanny pack or mini backpack and are responsible for carrying their own stuff. For drinks we use those cute Disney water bottle holders that the kids can hook to a belt loop or wear around their neck. I bring my refillable mug with me into the parks and hook it to my crossbody bag when not using it. It has worked well!
Yes, you can have your purchases sent to your resort! It all works out, promise!

They will send your purchases to your resort but sometimes it took me 2 days after until I can get the goods, I guess it depended on the time of the day I bought them. But you can also request the purchases to be sent to the front of the park, where you can collect them when you exit the park as long as you don't make the purchase too late in the day. Another option that I like is to ship them to your home address. It comes with extra shipping costs but it's the most convenient especially when you buy something big and bulky.

$20k?!?! Please list how you spend $20k at Disney. That has to be an amazing trip
Well for one thing we stay 10 days. Ad the fact that at 12 and 20 the girls are foodies and want the deluxe dining plan. Then you add the fact that I pay for 2 rooms and right now the girls are torn between Wilderness Lodge and The Poly, it all adds up.

Well for one thing we stay 10 days. Ad the fact that at 12 and 20 the girls are foodies and want the deluxe dining plan. Then you add the fact that I pay for 2 rooms and right now the girls are torn between Wilderness Lodge and The Poly, it all adds up.

Your girls are lucky to have you! Sounds like an amazing way to do family vacation.

If, big IF, international borders open, I may have a whole row of seats to myself on the aeroplane!
Me too. I had that last year coming home on VA. In the bubble PE was full, but, economy had six people in it. I'd paid for an exit seat, but my row was full, every other row behind me was empty, so I took the back row all to myself and my cabin crew guy was amaaaazing, he made me feel like a queen. One of my best flights ever and I would happily see that happen again.
I do nothing the rest of the time. If all the families with kids stay at home, happy days.

I know that people spend lots of money on a Disney vacation, and I totally understand how some people may not want to accept less than the total experience. If that were me, I would certainly cancel my plans and wait. However, some people like the OP truly need a getaway, and it is totally their choice to go wherever they want to when they are able to go. I am in that boat. Most of us, at least at times, have had a less than pleasant experience during these last couple of months due to circumstances surrounding Covid. The OP asked specifically for encouragement. I don't feel it is right to go all negative when someone needs encouragement. We are all aware of the negatives if we read these boards. I am trying hard not to become completely cynical, but it seems to me people can't wait to express as much negativity as possible on every thread! And I hate to say it, it is usually the same posters! I have learned the names of some disboarders, and truly think, well, that's so and so, they are always negative! I can tick of two dozen reasons not to go to an Orlando theme park right now, but I am so sick of gloom and doom I really need to see the bright side. I am sure there is one. Those of you may choose to disagree, but honestly, my thought is if you can't find a bright side, how do you keep going? So happy to read the positive posts on here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter