Fingerprint scan doesn't work for me

My MIL had a lot of problems when we were there last time. A CM asked her if she was a diabetic, and she is. The CM asked if that finger is one she uses with the lancet.... it was. She was told that the lancet us can affect the way that the finger reads.

Not saying this is the problem people are having; however, I have issues with my thumb scanning. Instead of using my thumb on anything that says to, I just use my right index finger. It works much better for me. For 2 years they had to manually bill my training sessions at the gym, because my thumb wouldn't scan right. Finally, someone let me redo it with my index finger. Works every time like a charm. I know this won't work for everyone though but thought I would throw it out there for others that have bad thumbs:(

I was fine at Disney, but my fingerprint didn't work once at Universal which was really annoying since I needed to get an attendant every time I had to open a locker after riding an attraction where you couldn't carry a purse.

Ironically, my niece had problems at WDW with her finger but not Universal. But since you only need to scan when you enter the parks at WDW, it wasn't as big a deal.

Everyone can opt out and just use a photo ID instead if scanning your finger.

But Disney is not actually scanning *fingerprints*.

MG
Yes, and no. Yes they "scan" your fingerprint, but they then use certain points on your print to compute a non-unique number that they then save. This number reasonably identifies you versus most other people and cannot be used to reconstruct your fingerprint.

Yes, and no. Yes they "scan" your fingerprint, but they then use certain points on your print to compute a non-unique number that they then save. This number reasonably identifies you versus most other people and cannot be used to reconstruct your fingerprint.
The way I always understood it was that it was NOT your fingerprint that is scanned, but some biometric three-point measurement of your actual finger. At least that is how it's published.

MG

The way I always understood it was that it was NOT your fingerprint that is scanned, but some biometric three-point measurement of your actual finger. At least that is how it's published.

MG
That's my understanding too, but I believe the three reference points are taken from your fingerprint... which they have to scan in order to determine. But the key point, which we both are making, is that Disney doesn't store your fingerprint in their database.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/my-magic-plus-privacy/

...you simply place your finger on a reader. The system, which utilizes the technology of biometrics, takes an image of your finger, converts the image into a unique numerical value and immediately discards the image. The numerical value is recalled when you use Ticket Tag with the same ticket to re-enter or visit another Park. Ticket Tag does not store fingerprints.

A picture of your finger. What's showing up when they take a picture of your finger? Yep, your fingerprints. They are measuring something with your fingerprints; fingers aren't that unique LOL.

Are all guests required to use Ticket Tag?

If you don't want to use Ticket Tag, you can simply carry and show a photo ID that matches the name identified with your ticket.

Not saying this is the problem people are having; however, I have issues with my thumb scanning. Instead of using my thumb on anything that says to, I just use my right index finger.

Don't they ask you to do your index finger anyway? I can't imagine the contortions I'd have to do to do my thumb! Just the wrong height I suppose.

I have to scan my finger at work a ton because it is used to get meds out of the machine for my patients. I have found it is easiest to use index finger and just hold it in the scanner with light pressure until the Mickey turns green (how I wish that was what happened at work too - that would make me happier to see a green Mickey ). Any very recent hand sanitizer use will cause it to fail. I assume other things like sunscreen might too if applied just before using scanner. I wear the band on left wrist and put my finger on scanner as I am holding my band to the Mickey head. That seems a tad bit faster than putting finger on after the band is read. Though it is probably an insignificant second lol

I have that problem also - not only at Disney but also at Universal and even using the fingerprint login on my laptop (thank goodness there is also a password login). Someone suggested stroking the finger across your forehead to pin up some natural oils, but even that doesn't work.

Most everyone uses so much hand sanitizer at Disney it drys our you fingertips.

You can try a few ideas, I don't know if they will help at Disney but they help where I have been before. We sometimes tell people to rub your finger behind your ear, it replenishes the oils in your skin. Also try exhaling on you fingertip, don't blow gently but full exhale like making the "ha" sound, it can help with the moisture in your breath.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/my-magic-plus-privacy/

A picture of your finger. What's showing up when they take a picture of your finger? Yep, your fingerprints. They are measuring something with your fingerprints; fingers aren't that unique LOL.

Don't they ask you to do your index finger anyway? I can't imagine the contortions I'd have to do to do my thumb! Just the wrong height I suppose.
Well, I won't comment on whether or not Disney is being upfront about what they do, but they publish that they measure your finger at certain points. They even admit it's not 100% unique as are fingerprints.

MG

Last edited:
I just opt out of it and say from the get go. I have arthritis and it's painful for me to place my finger in that position. They take a photo. When we get to the gate I just say 'I am photo ID only' and they call over a cast member with an ipad. Check my photo and in we go. Never had an issue. I would just insist if I was you. They have never asked me to do it or taken my photo again. We go for 2 weeks.

Teller, my Mom has the very same issue almost every time she tries to enter the park. We have annual passes and its a hassle every time. She scans her finger and it doesn't work. They have her do it again, still no go. They ask her if she is using the same finger and to try a different one. After having her try 2-3 times, they raise their arm to call over a Supervisor. Supervisor asks if she's certain she is using the same finger. She says yes. Then supervisor has her reset her fingerprint. At this point they also take her picture or look for her picture in the system. This whole process takes 3-4 minutes which is forever if you are in line behind her. She now tell the first cast member to call a supervisor because her finger prints can't be read. She also tells them there is a photo of her on file. It doesn't matter. They ignore her and go through all the steps every time. It is so frustrating for her!!!!

I always enter the park in front of her and meet her in the first gift shop (there is one in every park). At least, that keeps my blood pressure down.

This was me on our last trip. Frustrating as anything, and IMO, very poor customer service to expect anyone to deal with that more than even once. They should be offering compensation, or at least sincere apologies, to any guest that is having to deal with the ridiculous finger printing thing. (You know, because Disney is going bankrupt due to people trying to scam them on park entry).

I don't remember, but probably. I thought at Universal they suggest using your thumb for the lockers. My gym wanted me to use my thumb, which ended up with them having to enter everything manually, because it would never recognize my thumb. Index is physically and memory-wise easier.

Ever since Disney implemented the fingerprint/magic band scan it's been nothing but trouble for me. My fingertips are scarred, and each year I have trouble 99% of the time with it reading my print. A cast member will take my photo with their Ipad and assure me it'll work for the rest of the trip, but when I go to another park I go through the process yet again.

Is there another option for me? I feel bad for people behind me in line.

Please take a moment to email guest.services@disneyworld.com and let disney know your negative experiences. They can't fix what they don't realize isn't working smoothly.

My husband has the same issue. He has very calloused and scarred hands and they never ever work when he uses the scanner. Every time they have to call the supervisor and we show ID and they usually take a photo as well. It's a pain but we are usually taken aside so it's not too much of a hold up.

This is exactly what happens to my Mom. She tells the first CM that the finger scan doesn't work and that her photo is on file. They act like they don't even hear her and tell her to try the finger scan 2-3 times. They then call over the supervisor with the iPad who spends another minute or so trying to get it to work. I bet she has 60 finger prints and 40 photos on record.

I think it's the fact that they don't listen to her that makes her the most upset. I tell her that I suspect they are trained to have the guest try the scan three times before they are permitted to signal a supervisor.

This has been our experience as well. We tell them every time that it never works, but they always insist that he tries it a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter