Fingerprints!!!

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
My wife has almost no discernible fingerprints. For example she can't use Touch ID on an iPhone. How will she get through the main gates at WDW? Any other places she'll need to use fingerprints?

My wife has almost no discernible fingerprints. For example she can't use Touch ID on an iPhone. How will she get through the main gates at WDW? Any other places she'll need to use fingerprints?

If (IF) she has problems with the finger-scanners (the scanners do not use actual fingerprints) then she can use a photo ID.
Try the scanner first and see if it works (the system very well might work.)

The entrances to all of the Theme Parks and Water Parks use the scanners.

Last edited:
Since it's a biometric scan (rather than a fingerprint scan) she should be fine.

As robo said, if the scan doesn't work, she'll need to show ID to the CM every time, so she should be extra sure that she has it with her.

My son has this issue. Every day we would go into the parks the scanner wouldn't work, they would reset, and the next day, same problem. Since he was too young for an ID, they would just ask him his full name and he would answer and they would let him in lol. Adults, they just ask for an ID.

As others have said, it's not a true fingerprint, but a biometric scan. What will happen is that the first time the ticket is used the scanner captures data about the finger in question. Then on subsequent visits, the scanner is looking to match the data taken the first time. As long as it matches, then it's all set. So, if it scans a finger that doesn't have much of a discernible fingerprint on the first day, that's what it'll be looking for and it would reject any scan that was different (it's really more complex than that, but that's the idea).

That doesn't guarantee that it'll work, but it very well could based on what we know about the system. If you have problems, the CMs will be more than happy to accommodate.

While I realize it's a biometric scan, my mom had this issue on our trip last year. She has no fingerprints after years of playing the piano (her fingertips are smooth). She got flagged at EVERY entrance. It was a pain.

I have this issue at every park every trip. I have had annual passes for years and go often so I know what a pain it is. I almost always have to show an ID with my pass. Every cast member has a different story/reason for this problem but the bottom line is that it just doesn't work for some people. My family is used to this and it's now a joke. They are all past the turnstiles waiting for me. Disney Magic has never been able to fix this problem for me.

My wife has had an intermittent problem with the biometric scanners over the years. The CM asked to see her drivers license to verify her ID.

My son has this issue. Every day we would go into the parks the scanner wouldn't work, they would reset, and the next day, same problem. Since he was too young for an ID, they would just ask him his full name and he would answer and they would let him in lol. Adults, they just ask for an ID.
With children (and even some small handed adults) the issue is often that their fingers are so small it doesn't fill the scanner and as such, they position it just differently enough each time that it changes the scan just enough to cause it to error.
One possible fix (it worked with DGD) is to have them put their finger all the way forward on the scanner, so the tip is almost touching the top. Sort of gives them a starting point to use each time and helps keep them consistent.
This won't be a fix for 100% of the kids but does help many.

Mine did not work this morning and the CM reset it. Fortunately she did not ask for an ID because I didn’t bring anything with me into the park except my magic band.

She just said, “I’m going to take your picture and reset it”

Last year my finger print didn't work. I didn't have ID besides magic band, so they got a supervisor and he had his Ipad. They brought up my image from the first day and verified it was me. Took maybe 2 minutes total.

As others have said, it's not a true fingerprint, but a biometric scan. What will happen is that the first time the ticket is used the scanner captures data about the finger in question. Then on subsequent visits, the scanner is looking to match the data taken the first time. As long as it matches, then it's all set. So, if it scans a finger that doesn't have much of a discernible fingerprint on the first day, that's what it'll be looking for and it would reject any scan that was different (it's really more complex than that, but that's the idea).

That doesn't guarantee that it'll work, but it very well could based on what we know about the system. If you have problems, the CMs will be more than happy to accommodate.
Thanks. Still not convinced it will work for her. She's a permanent resident alien and the biometrics at INS rarely work for her. I guess we'll find out when we get there!

While I realize it's a biometric scan, my mom had this issue on our trip last year. She has no fingerprints after years of playing the piano (her fingertips are smooth). She got flagged at EVERY entrance. It was a pain.
So what do you do? Show ID? I'm guessing this slows things down.

With children (and even some small handed adults) the issue is often that their fingers are so small it doesn't fill the scanner and as such, they position it just differently enough each time that it changes the scan just enough to cause it to error.
One possible fix (it worked with DGD) is to have them put their finger all the way forward on the scanner, so the tip is almost touching the top. Sort of gives them a starting point to use each time and helps keep them consistent.
This won't be a fix for 100% of the kids but does help many.
Thanks for the tip! In addition to having virtually no fingerprints, my wife's hands are small. So, that's a double whammy against her at the gates!

So what do you do?
1. Show ID?
2. I'm guessing this slows things down.

1. That is the info that I and others have been saying ever since the beginning of this thread.
2. It doesn't slow things down if the ID is in-hand and ready to go.

1. That is the info that I and others have been saying ever since the beginning of this thread.
2. It doesn't slow things down if the ID is in-hand and ready to go.
Except that one poster said a supervisor had to come over and it took a couple minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter