Fireworks with shorties

DrFacilier

DIS Veteran
Our kids are getting too big to hold them up but are still too short to view Happily Ever After through all of the adults that tower over them. I thought for a bit about doing the dessert party with the plaza viewing area but we aren't really dessert fans so would rather not spend $200 on that. Obviously staking out a spot early is important but are there any other tips on locations/viewing areas and around the hub that are better for small children?

When we went in January, we found a nice spot just behind one of those little fenced off green areas in the Hub. That way, once the fireworks start, my son was able to stand in front of us right behind the fence with an unobstructed view. We didn't want the chance of taller adults weaving their way in front of him during the inevitable crowd creep.

If you like the viewing location that the dessert party would offer you could aim for its 'twin' in front of Casey's. That part is not reserved but is still the same grassy, railing area that the Plaza viewing offers. Maybe have a picnic with the kiddos before the show? That could help pass the time!

When we went in January, we found a nice spot just behind one of those little fenced off green areas in the Hub. That way, once the fireworks start, my son was able to stand in front of us right behind the fence with an unobstructed view. We didn't want the chance of taller adults weaving their way in front of him during the inevitable crowd creep.

If you like the viewing location that the dessert party would offer you could aim for its 'twin' in front of Casey's. That part is not reserved but is still the same grassy, railing area that the Plaza viewing offers. Maybe have a picnic with the kiddos before the show? That could help pass the time!
thanks to you both! @Wubar how early did you arrive to get the spot right behind the fence? It sounds perfect for us.

thanks to you both! @Wubar how early did you arrive to get the spot right behind the fence? It sounds perfect for us.

We arrived pretty early, since we also wanted to catch OUAT. HEA was at 8pm, and I believe OUAT was at 7:30pm that night. We probably found our spot around 6:45-6:50pm, and we bided the time by having a little picnic (hello, mobile ordering!)...45 minutes didn't really feel like that long, and there was little downtime between OUAT and HEA.

Mind you, this was in January, so the crowds were probably a tick lower than the rest of the year, but good luck!

Just a small FYI, the Garden Plaza West in front of Casey's is the "reserved" area that will be used for the new purchased extra FP/nighttime viewing trial program for Club Level guests (which starts 3/13). I highly doubt they are going to reserve the whole garden for these purposes, I suspect it will be a smaller portion - so some of it should still be open to anyone. But, we'll need to wait and see exactly how this will work once it starts up.

Otherwise I agree, the Plaza Garden West is my go-to spot.

Just a small FYI, the Garden Plaza West in front of Casey's is the "reserved" area that will be used for the new purchased extra FP/nighttime viewing trial program for Club Level guests (which starts 3/13). I highly doubt they are going to reserve the whole garden for these purposes, I suspect it will be a smaller portion - so some of it should still be open to anyone. But, we'll need to wait and see exactly how this will work once it starts up.

Otherwise I agree, the Plaza Garden West is my go-to spot.
Ugggh!

I'm a "shortie", myself.(<5'0") But...my thought is always that fireworks are UP IN THE SKY. I don't need to be tall to see them. The only thing I miss if I can't stake out a closer spot earlier is the ground level projections on the castle. Other than that, I can see almost everything. It's not usually a big deal. The only problem I really had was when a dad, directly in front of me, put his 10 -12 year old on his shoulders for the Star Wars Fireworks at HS. I did ask very nicely if they could not do that as it blocked the show for many people, not just me. They were rude and dismissive...but...whatever. That was the only time I had trouble seeing...so I moved and was fine.

I'm a "shortie", myself.(<5'0") But...my thought is always that fireworks are UP IN THE SKY. I don't need to be tall to see them. The only thing I miss if I can't stake out a closer spot earlier is the ground level projections on the castle. Other than that, I can see almost everything. It's not usually a big deal. The only problem I really had was when a dad, directly in front of me, put his 10 -12 year old on his shoulders for the Star Wars Fireworks at HS. I did ask very nicely if they could not do that as it blocked the show for many people, not just me. They were rude and dismissive...but...whatever. That was the only time I had trouble seeing...so I moved and was fine.
Yeah. It’s more about the kids wanting to see the projections and getting the full experience of HEA in addition to the fireworks. The shoulder thing is definitely rude and not an option I’m looking at lol.

Yeah. It’s more about the kids wanting to see the projections and getting the full experience of HEA in addition to the fireworks. The shoulder thing is definitely rude and not an option I’m looking at lol.

The question is then what do they do. Kids can’t see the projections over adults and it’s not really fair to them. There aren’t very many places they can see (just for the record, my family doesn’t ever do shoulder kids but I have sympathy for them). If everyone would stay sitting everyone would be able to see, but they wouldn’t be able to get as many guests in the hub. I feel like that’s the lesser of all evils but since everyone stands I’m obviously in the minority.

The question is then what do they do. Kids can’t see the projections over adults and it’s not really fair to them. There aren’t very many places they can see (just for the record, my family doesn’t ever do shoulder kids but I have sympathy for them). If everyone would stay sitting everyone would be able to see, but they wouldn’t be able to get as many guests in the hub. I feel like that’s the lesser of all evils but since everyone stands I’m obviously in the minority.
Thats exactly my question. My kids are too short and I don’t want to put them on my shoulders out of consideration for everyone else behind me. Sitting down would be great if it could be worked out logistically. My wife and I held them on our hips for Hallowishes and the Hocus Pocus show in October and swore we’d never do it again. The kids enjoyed the shows but us, not so much...

When ds was too big to truly hold but wanted to be further up, I had my son in piggyback mode. He held on around my collarbones and I wrapped my arms backwards around his rear or feet. He was no taller than me, and so he saw what I could see.
Great idea!

I know the Dessert parties are expensive, but for us having a great place to get out of the crowds to watch the fireworks is worth it.

DH really does not like the fireworks crowds at MK, the Dessert parties are a great option for us. I am not a dessert person, more of a savory person. There are some good savory options and lots of good fruit.

When ds was too big to truly hold but wanted to be further up, I had my son in piggyback mode. He held on around my collarbones and I wrapped my arms backwards around his rear or feet. He was no taller than me, and so he saw what I could see.

I second this! No need for shoulders when you can go piggyback!

This always seems like the obvious solution to me, or to hoist little ones on the hip so their head is level with your own. Not only does the shoulder thing block everyone behind you, but when it happens directly in front of me, I spend the whole time with hands ready to catch the child in case they fall from their parent's shoulders. Multiple levels of distraction!

My 9-year daughters were excited to see the fireworks at MK on our last trip. We picked out a good spot and they could see fine. Then, just as the show started, a two shoulder kids, who looked about 10 or older, popped up in front of us and blocked the view.

It's a blood-boiling experience for sure

My 9-year daughters were excited to see the fireworks at MK on our last trip. We picked out a good spot and they could see fine. Then, just as the show started, a two shoulder kids, who looked about 10 or older, popped up in front of us and blocked the view.

It's a blood-boiling experience for sure
It stinks that some people are so selfish in such a happy place.

When we were thee last week 90% of the folks at the dessert party stayed seated when the show started, so anyone standing behind that area had a much better view. I didn't pay much attention to what areas behind there were open for standing or if any were kept as walkways, etc., but if I weren't doing the dessert party and the other garden was reserved I would probably try for that area.

@GADisneyDad14 (or anyone else) Just wanted to follow up as our trip is coming up in August. What is the deal with Plaza Garden West these days? Is any of it available for us regular folk or is it all reserved for club level?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter