• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Car

My parents bought my first car it was a lease that my aunt was turning in. 1986 Pontiac 6000. Such a nerdy car. I called it George!

I hate driving in San Francisco, so I can see that. I turned down a job there just for that reason.
Funny about the TVs. My College, which was also my son's college, University of the Pacific in Stockton just put in HD cable in all the dorms.

Yeah, driving there is a nightmare. Worse than anywhere else I've been so far, and I've road tripped to every major city on the East Coast. But she wanted to be in a city where she didn't need/want a car, and on that count she couldn't have chosen any better. I guess growing up here in the birthplace of car culture, living without one is her sort of rebellion.

My first car was a 67 ford galaxy 500 that had gone through my older siblings first. I loved that car! My dad and brother rebuilt the engine in it. It ran great

My parents bought me a 1988 used Civic when I got my license in 1991. We gave my stepson one of our cars when he graduated high school with the caveat he had to get good grades in college. Let's just say he had to pay us some $$ his freshman year 😛 We will buy/handmedown our DD a car when the time comes.

My parents provided a car to drive (but, I shared with sisters).
DH and I provided a car for each of our kids to drive in high school, but they didn't own them. They were cheap. but did the job. When the kids flew the coop, we gave them their cars. They are still driving them.

No, my dad never bought me a car. I was allowed to drive his clunker when he bought a new car. I was also 18 before I got my license. The first clunker was a 1976 baby blue Ford Grenada. I bought my first car by myself in 1988 or '89 and it was a 1984 Mercury Capri.

Yeah, driving there is a nightmare. Worse than anywhere else I've been so far, and I've road tripped to every major city on the East Coast. But she wanted to be in a city where she didn't need/want a car, and on that count she couldn't have chosen any better. I guess growing up here in the birthplace of car culture, living without one is her sort of rebellion.
I work with several under 30's that don't have cars and don't plan to buy one. They are at the mercy of ride share services to get to and from work. I'm a California native, if I can't park my car in front of my destination, I don't go,

My dad let me use his 1988 Ford Taurus when I got my license in 1998. I would get up at 5:30am just to drive him to work so I could have the car to drive to school where it would just sit parked all day. Then I would have to go pick him up from work. All to avoid taking the school bus and trying to feel cool. But I wasn't allowed to get my license until I had a job and could pay my own gas and insurance.

My dad was a mechanic at a local dealership. My parents actually bought me 3 cars before I graduated high school. I got my driver’s license in 1978 and the first one was a 1969 Chevy Impala which I didn’t really like. It’s not like I demanded another car or anything but my dad would just keep an eye out for cars he thought would be good for me. He ended up trading the 69 in for a 1972 Impala and eventually the 3rd car he found for me was a 1974 Chevy Nova that I loved.

My parents got me a car when for when I turned 16. They got it when I was 15 and used it until I was 16 and got my license. It was an 1987 Oldsmobile Calais and I got my license in 1988.

My DH paid his ex-wife half of what her old Honda Civic was worth and they gave it to my step-daughter when she got her license.

I wasn’t allowed to drive until I finished high school which was in 2002. I got my dad’s 1995 Lexus ES. But we had to share for a few weeks.

He’s a man with unique tastes.He had a Taurus before he got his Lexus. He was at work when my mom bought him the Lexus. He came home and saw it in the garage and had a fit. He complained from 1995-2002 how his Taurus was so much better.

When he gave me his old car, he went straight to a Mercury dealership and bought a special order Sable, hence the weeks of sharing.

My first car was a 1975 Ford Maverick that I bought in 1983 for $1700 when I was 17. I started working at age 14 and saved my money over time. My parents did pay for my insurance though.

I bought my first car, it was 1978 and I bought a used AMC Pacer, it was greenish. I think the car was about 5 years old when I bought it. Loved that car.

My son's father bought him a used pick up truck for his first vehicle.

What you do is buy a new one for yourself and give your kid your older one. Or sell them it for a reasonable amount. Win win for everyone

I shared a car with my dad when I turned 16. He worked 3rd shift at the time, so it worked out. Until they didn't like the amount of miles I was putting on it. They co-signed a loan for my 1st car at 18 and I paid the payments myself. When my son turned 16, we financed a used car and we paid half of his monthly payments. Paid it off and the engine blew not long after. We bought a new car and he is now driving my old Honda. He taught himself how to drive a stick shift real quick :hippie:

When I started college my mom bought me a 1989 Mazda MX-6 - it was $3500. She gave me the first $1000 toward it and then I had to pay her back the other $2500.

I was perfectly happy walking to school and ball practice and was not all that interested in driving. But then my Mom married my stepfather and we moved to his house too far away. In order to stay in my same school, she gifted me her 1986 Chevy Cavalier. This was in 1990. I drove it the last two years of High School and thru most of college until I blew the engine from not putting oil in it. At that point, I had been working and saving so I got a loan for a brand new 1994 Ford Ranger. I remember payment was $235 month. It was a colorful Calypso Green. I drove it until 2001 when it went to my husband who drove it another 5years until it went to my cousin.

My younger brother on the other hand. Mom got him a new used card specifically for him. A nice Eagle Talon that was beautiful. I was jealous. He totaled it before she made the first payment. Then he picked out a Mazda Miata and managed to hang onto it for years.

I bought my first car when I was 17. The year was 1965 and I bought a 1960 Plymouth Station Wagon for $500.00. Talk about your chick magnet, but I was basically the first one in my junior class to have a car, which made me very popular. I've never been without a car since then, some 55 years,

I have bought all of the cars I ever owned, but I didn't get my license until my mid-20s. I bought a used 1996 Toyota Corolla CE back in 2003. I used it to help me learn to drive better. Only things I did to it was buy a factory radio that had a CD player so I could have one, and custom tail lights that were brighter than the OEM ones that were practically broken to begin with. It was a decent car, but wound up buying a Mercury Milan a few years later in 2007.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter