First cruise- a few questions...

Ro<3

Earning My Ears
Sorry to be posting another first cruiser question thread but...
1)Im thinking of canceling insurance through Disney and using an outside carrier. Am I going to mess up my whole reservation by doing that?? It makes me nervous but we are still within the window to get preexisting consigns covered by another carrier.
2) since it's our first cruise I am thinking of making a FE for my family and my parents and filling it myself (not being in an organized FE group) so that I'm not overwhelmed... will the kids miss out by not delivering to others? Seems stressful to me right now, but maybe delivery is part of the fun?
3) Our connecting rooms are on non-firework view but after reading posts, seems like rooms on the other side pop up... is it worth the effort to switch sides of the ship at the risk of not getting connecting rooms?
Thank you in advance!

2) You and your kids will be so busy they won't miss it.
3) The best viewing of the fireworks is up on the top decks. There is a Pirate dance party at this time also. There are very few rooms (if any at all) that can actually see the fireworks.

2) if it is your first cruise, how will the kids know what they are missing? We're bringing our nephew and family (DW, 7, 5, 4 yo) on their first cruise and DGP, DGM ( my DB and DSIL). This will be "Tinkerbell" giving trinkets (like a secret santa). They don't know the system and will be thrilled, surprised, who knows!
3) depends on the starboard stateroom location. Some are notified not to be on the veranda during fireworks because of the smoke and ash. Go topside and enjoy the entire experience.
1) I'm looking into that also.

Last edited:
Sorry to be posting another first cruiser question thread but...
1)Im thinking of canceling insurance through Disney and using an outside carrier. Am I going to mess up my whole reservation by doing that?? It makes me nervous but we are still within the window to get preexisting consigns covered by another carrier.
2) since it's our first cruise I am thinking of making a FE for my family and my parents and filling it myself (not being in an organized FE group) so that I'm not overwhelmed... will the kids miss out by not delivering to others? Seems stressful to me right now, but maybe delivery is part of the fun?
3) Our connecting rooms are on non-firework view but after reading posts, seems like rooms on the other side pop up... is it worth the effort to switch sides of the ship at the risk of not getting connecting rooms?
Thank you in advance!
1. I don't believe it would mess up your reservation, but the question is, would Disney refund you the premium? I'd call them to ask before you do anything.
2. There are two kinds of people - those who think FEs are great fun and those who think "I'd rather be poked in the eye with scissors than fool with that." I obviously fall into group #2. :) If you think it's stressful, then skip it. Your first cruise will be fantastic. There will be a ton of things you won't get to do, and you'll end up booking another cruise. Why pile more on yourself unnecessarily with a FE unless it just really appeals to you on a fun level?
3. How old are your kids? Connecting rooms are essential to our family, but if yours are older, you may not care as much about them. You can go on the DCL website and start a fake booking to see if there are connecting rooms still left. You don't say which ship you're on. We had connecting rooms 7576/7574 on the Dream and you can see the fireworks from there. This is great if your kids are younger and they don't want to stay up late for the deck party, so you and your spouse can still see the fireworks from the balcony, but if your kids are a bit older, they may really enjoy the deck party.

I feel like there's this perception, after reading a lot of posts on here and elsewhere, that you have to do A, B, C, D, E, F, G.....on and on through Z or you "won't have the perfect cruise." In reality, for your first cruise, all you really need to do is show up. You'll have fun no matter what you do. If you're on a Caribbean 3- or 4-day, you don't even need to book or plan excursions. There's plenty to do at Castaway Cay all on its own, and you can just walk around Nassau/Atlantis fairly cheaply. Just relax, and trust that you'll have fun without having to fully plan the whole thing in advance. It's not like the parks, where if you don't plan your dinner 7 months in advance you don't get a table.

The insurance through DCL is not “purchased” until PIF - you should be able to drop it now no problem.

Doing your own FE is perfectly fine. It should be no-stress. The kids won’t miss what they never know.

I’d keep the rooms and watch fireworks topside. Rooms that might have the best view aren’t allowed to be on their verandahs during fireworks due to safety reasons.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much everyone! I sent an email to the ta regarding insurance since we didn't pay in full yet. I am going to skip the FE group and just learn for (hopefully next cruise). 😊 I really appreciate the feedback and advice- the kids are 4, 9 and 10 so I think we will go to the deck for fireworks and keep the connecting rooms.

Thank you so much everyone! I sent an email to the ta regarding insurance since we didn't pay in full yet. I am going to skip the FE group and just learn for (hopefully next cruise). 😊 I really appreciate the feedback and advice- the kids are 4, 9 and 10 so I think we will go to the deck for fireworks and keep the connecting rooms.
Be aware that some insurance booked through TAs isn't all that great, either. You can use a trip insurance comparison site to find a policy that works best for you.

You have gotten answers already, but just to add...

I am going on my 6th DCL Cruise 4 weeks from tomorrow and have never done a fish extender - and I do not feel deprived or like I am missing anything at all.

Good call on the fireworks and cabins. There are cabins on the starboard side that even receive letters that they are not to be out there when the fireworks are happening. I’m sure people ignore it (some have admitted to it on here) but if anything were to happen, they would have very little recourse as they did receive written instructions to NOT be out there.

I always buy third-party insurance for all of our trips. I, typically, find the insurance offered by DCL and other cruise lines does not fully offer the coverage we prefer and it's overpriced.

I, personally, think you made a good decision on the FE's. I considered doing it on our first cruise and am so glad I didn't. It's a lot of work, a lot of packing extra stuff and there is so much to do onboard. I would just relax and enjoy your cruise.

Watching the fireworks out on the decks is super fun!

I have taken my daughter on 6 cruises and we have never done FE. She has been ages 8-11 on our cruises. Our last cruise was the first time she ever even noticed anybody else's fish extenders. She asked what they were and I told her. She could have cared less. I am SO glad that I didn't bow to the pressure on my first cruise to do them. If I had, she would have expected it every time. Since we have never done it, she is fine (and it's so much less stress!)

1) Insurance: We always buy it and we always use third party insurance because it covers more of what is important to our family... but if you go that route purchase it ASAP since the closer you get to your cruise, the more expensive it gets. 2) Started cruising DCL when our boys were 6 and 8. They'll be 14 and 16 on our next cruise. They know about FE, but we've never done them and they couldn't care less. I'm fine with that, since although I'd put on a happy face and do it if they wanted to, in my heart of hearts I'd rather have my leg ripped off than deal with what I consider to be the added stress of buying/making all those gifts and hauling them all back and forth. YMMV, of course. 3) Fireworks: If a verandah room does open up on the starboard side, you may or may not be able to watch from there. Even if you aren't told to stay off your verandah, the view isn't that great. Go up top; it may seem crowded at first but if you wander around a bit you can find plenty of places where you'll have a great view and not be cheek by jowl with other cruisers.

We have also not done FE and honestly I don't plan to. It seems far too stressful to me, and I am not by nature a very good gift giver. I am also not crafty. I have seen this majorly stress people out, and at a minimum it usually adds to the luggage they need. Agree with others; my kids could not care less.

As for fireworks, I'd say head up to the pirate deck party - it's great fun especially for your first time!

If it were me, I would either (1) actually join a FE group, or (2) not do any kind of fish extender. The system you proposed of preparing and packing a bunch of secret presents, then having to go back to the room when your kids are somewhere else to deliver gifts from tinkerbell, actually sounds like as much or more work and stress than a traditional FE, since it requires you interrupting your trip/activities on more than one occasion (whereas FE I just do one round of deliveries over the course of 15 minutes and it's done) and I would be worried about getting caught either in the packing/unpacking or delivery stage and spoiling the magic. I also like that FE gets my kids jazzed about giving gifts and making someone else happy rather than just getting loot themselves. I guess I am just confused about how that is any easier than doing a traditional FE.

If it were me, I would either (1) actually join a FE group, or (2) not do any kind of fish extender. The system you proposed of preparing and packing a bunch of secret presents, then having to go back to the room when your kids are somewhere else to deliver gifts from tinkerbell, actually sounds like as much or more work and stress than a traditional FE, since it requires you interrupting your trip/activities on more than one occasion (whereas FE I just do one round of deliveries over the course of 15 minutes and it's done) and I would be worried about getting caught either in the packing/unpacking or delivery stage and spoiling the magic. I also like that FE gets my kids jazzed about giving gifts and making someone else happy rather than just getting loot themselves. I guess I am just confused about how that is any easier than doing a traditional FE.
Between 6 adults, it's actually fun. Divide and conquer.

1 - I used an outside carrier because I didn't book flights through Disney and I wanted the whole trip covered. Didn't need to use it, but glad I had it. For one data point, someone else on our cruise did have to cancel for health reasons and had Disney insurance and they just reported that they got paid, a month after our cruise.
2 - Even though we had a 7 day cruise, we didn't do FE because it seemed overwhelming for a first cruise. I'm glad we made that choice. Our one checked bag was overstuffed with the few souvenirs we did purchase, and we ended up with a ton of little things that had to be packed because the kids just couldn't not bring their Elsa snowflake necklaces, crafts they had made in the club/nursery, chocolates, etc etc. I would have been annoyed having to pack up a bunch of other little things.
3 - I would choose connecting rooms over fireworks view. Also, the port side forward is where the smoking section is (at least on the classic ships) so I would avoid that area if you are on a higher floor and want to enjoy your verandah smoke free.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter