First Cruise Booked! A few questions...

Here's another thing to think about. A LOT of people get sick on the cruise. We did, this past April, and by the sound of all the snuffling and sneezing and coughing at the debarkation breakfast, so did a lot of other people. We would have been wrecked for the parks if we still had a week at the parks to do.

I second everyone else here saying that the parks would be better first. The parks are a ton of fun, but exhausting. The cruise is a lot of fun and very relaxing. Even if you find that you’re not “cruise people”, you’ll still get to relax and unwind after all the chaos and endless walking in the parks.
The parks are a bit of an add-on to this trip, we weren't going to go at all then decided if we're going all the way to Orlando we might as well add on a resort stay. We've just done 2 weeks in November and another 2 weeks in April so I think no matter what order we do things in this will be a very slow pace for our park visits (think the occasional ride in between snacks and drinks 🤣)

I live in the UK and would never fly in the day before the cruise. If your flight gets cancelled for whatever reason, there isn’t much the airlines will be able to do to get you to the US that day as they will be limited on options. It’s not like US where it’s easier to reroute.

I’d also do parks first and then relax on the cruise - IMO it’s the best way.

Here's another thing to think about. A LOT of people get sick on the cruise. We did, this past April, and by the sound of all the snuffling and sneezing and coughing at the debarkation breakfast, so did a lot of other people. We would have been wrecked for the parks if we still had a week at the parks to do.
I can imagine this - on both our last two trips the parks were packed with people coughing and sneezing, more than I've ever noticed before. Both of us ended up sick on our November trip, definitely much more challenging tackling long park days while recovering!

I can imagine this - on both our last two trips the parks were packed with people coughing and sneezing, more than I've ever noticed before. Both of us ended up sick on our November trip, definitely much more challenging tackling long park days while recovering!
Yep! I was worried we'd get sick at the parks and be sick on the cruise, but we did fine at the parks and didn't have symptoms until the last day of the cruise. It's a crapshoot either way. :D

I am in the real minority here. I would do the parks before AND after. I am not up on pricing for tickets, so don’t know if there’s a significant difference in price versus one long stretch.

But it can give you a buffer before your cruise in case there is a flight issue.

And it can give you something to do (especially on disembarkation day - when flight times - usually at night FL to Europe) leave a lot of time to get “filled.”

I’m not even talking long visits pre- and post-cruise. Especially since it’s not your only lifetime trip to WDW. I typically just do a few days when I go. It leaves me open to going back. Hit some highlights/ favorites.

Start and end with a known. Discover something new in the middle. Wrap up the trip with a known favorite again. If the cruise wasn’t your thing, you’re ending with what should be a happy time.

Otherwise, I really like to go home when I get off a cruise. (Unless flight is going to be late at night - then I want to do something instead of just wasting a day.)

Everyone was coughing on our cruise as well, esp. on the last day. We have young kids so they’ve been catching one thing or another since school started (if not since last July when our little one started preschool). The worst was RSV and COVID at the same time (it was horrible and I could feel my lungs burning). We fought about 9 different things (immediate care tested and each time it was a different thing; some mysterious strep throat like illness but it was not COVID, flu or influenza). Norovirus took a hit in schools in the Midwest earlier in the year (violent vomiting) so at that point we thought what else is left.

I just packed some regular meds and cough drops and we got trip insurance (more for ease of mind).

Why is it important not to have your muster station on deck?
The spring break cruises are completely sold out and we were should to shoulder with other families standing tallest to shortest against the wall. Eventhough it was outdoors it’s conducted before the ship starts moving so there is little to no airflow and the men in the back had to step out of line to get some air (bumping into everyone as the shoulder to shoulder is not figurative). Everyone was sweating profusely.

I would not want that to be my first experience (our first cruise drill was indoors at the Beuna Vista theatre with AC and that was a decade ago and this was our second cruise); however if that’s the only choice you have, bring water bottles and a small fan (won’t be able to mist with people standing next to you). Also you need your room card (at least one per room) as a CM with an iPad will scan your card to ensure you and your family are at the drill.

The picture below is from an online review and similar to what we experienced in the Fantasy:

https://www.victoriaonvacation.com/2019/06/disney-wonder-day-1.html?m=0

6A0DC230-974F-47E8-BDF9-685E5848F1B2.jpeg

My review post 500 (page 25)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dream-fantasy-muster-stations.2639344/page-25

Also if it’s a sold out cruise it’s highly unlikely you won’t make it to the sail away party (elevators will be full for 45 mins). The drill starts at 4 pm and took 30 mins (guests late and we kept getting asked to squeeze in more); and the party starts at 4:30 pm

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...party-go-straight-dinner-main-seating-341229/

Last edited:
Just popping in to say we’ve also done the parks after the cruise and had a blast! When you’re not a first timer to the parks you know what to expect and after the magic of the cruise we wanted to keep it going! We also bumped into a few people from the cruise at the parks and it was kind of fun to see them on dry land! Honestly, either way you can’t go wrong - it’s all Disney and all amazing!

The spring break cruises are completely sold out and we were should to shoulder with other families standing tallest to shortest against the wall. Eventhough it was outdoors it’s conducted before the ship starts moving so there is little to no airflow and the men in the back had to step out of line to get some air (bumping into everyone as the shoulder to shoulder is not figurative). Everyone was sweating profusely.

I would not want that to be my first experience (our first cruise drill was indoors at the Beuna Vista theatre with AC and that was a decade ago and this was our second cruise); however if that’s the only choice you have, bring water bottles and a small fan (won’t be able to mist with people standing next to you). Also you need your room card (at least one per room) as a CM with an iPad will scan your card to ensure you and your family are at the drill.

The picture below is from an online review and similar to what we experienced in the Fantasy:

https://www.victoriaonvacation.com/2019/06/disney-wonder-day-1.html?m=0

View attachment 764176

My review post 500 (page 25)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dream-fantasy-muster-stations.2639344/page-25

Also if it’s a sold out cruise it’s highly unlikely you won’t make it to the sail away party (elevators will be full for 45 mins). The drill starts at 4 pm and took 30 mins (guests late and we kept getting asked to squeeze in more); and the party starts at 4:30 pm

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...party-go-straight-dinner-main-seating-341229/

Ugh...we just moved to rooms that are on deck for the muster station, but all that's left for connecting rooms in our category are on deck. Loooooong story but my mother booked separately after the fact and was nearby but we really wanted connecting, so we had to give up an indoor muster station.

Ugh...we just moved to rooms that are on deck for the muster station, but all that's left for connecting rooms in our category are on deck. Loooooong story but my mother booked separately after the fact and was nearby but we really wanted connecting, so we had to give up an indoor muster station.
Just go prepared. If it’s a sold out cruise then it will take a while for everyone to gather and line up and squeeze in, so we were there until 5 mins before the sail away party; so we just chose not to climb 7 sets of stairs (we were muster station K - on deck 4-not the main deck btw). We did wish we had fans/neck towels. We did have 2 water bottles (kids don’t drink soda and we were planning on going to the sail away).

Lounge chairs were put out on deck 4 within minutes and we could hear the music and just spent time playing the big shuffle board, taking magic shots and relaxing.

Connecting rooms don’t guarantee same
Muster station so do check out the list (post 291 Dream/Fantasy muster station list)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dream-fantasy-muster-stations.2639344/page-15#post-53632552

I have only one memory of an unpleasant Muster Drill. Yep, on deck and hot. Not bad: 1 in 30. And it’s not the big memory of that cruise.

@sponica: In the big scheme of things it’s just 30 mins of your several night cruise. Nothing would beat having connecting rooms, so I would gladly do it again if that would allow grandparents to join.

If you have a balcony, the stateroom attendant will remove the divider and you will have an extra chair (if it’s just one grandparent). Plus the kids will have a big play area to runaround inside and outside (do monitor closely because all the kids wanted to do was lean over and look at the ocean).

I have only one memory of an unpleasant Muster Drill. Yep, on deck and hot. Not bad: 1 in 30. And it’s not the big memory of that cruise.
Mine is the opposite: on deck with freezing rain in Vancouver. I do try and book rooms with muster stations inside now though if I’m picking my own.

Mine is the opposite: on deck with freezing rain in Vancouver. I do try and book rooms with muster stations inside now though if I’m picking my own.
How do you know what the muster station is when choosing your room?

How do you know what the muster station is when choosing your room?
Some are listed here in the Disboards; there’s a thread with a list for the Dream. I assume the Fantasy ones are similar. Internet search for others. I have only (rarely) checked after booking.

I don't think an anticipated 3pm arrival is enough with going that far. You might want to see about coming in earlier. If your flight was due to arrive in the morning the day before the cruise that would be easier to accommodate delays. If you're doing the parks after this would be my recommended advice.

We have a Europe cruise next month leaving on the 16th out of Venice and we arrive around early evening on the 14th (technically leaving Chicago around 5pm on the 13th). We go from Chicago to Paris, Paris to Venice. We have a hotel reservation on Murano island for 2 nights.

I agree with people on several points about doing the parks first although a slight con might be being tired from the parks. Sounds like you're able to take it easy in the parks rather than go commando so that might help on the tiredness. On the other hand I can see how doing the parks after helps the vacation blues.

On the point about sickness it's going to be either way you have that possibility. You could get sick from people in the parks or get sick by people on the cruise. Yeah sure being on the cruise you're more confined for longer periods of time but that doesn't mean you don't stand a good chance of the parks. Perhaps look at which one may have the more financial impact if sickness got you since you'd be spending a prolonged period of time both in the parks and the cruise.

Just go prepared. If it’s a sold out cruise then it will take a while for everyone to gather and line up and squeeze in, so we were there until 5 mins before the sail away party; so we just chose not to climb 7 sets of stairs (we were muster station K - on deck 4-not the main deck btw). We did wish we had fans/neck towels. We did have 2 water bottles (kids don’t drink soda and we were planning on going to the sail away).

Lounge chairs were put out on deck 4 within minutes and we could hear the music and just spent time playing the big shuffle board, taking magic shots and relaxing.

Connecting rooms don’t guarantee same
Muster station so do check out the list (post 291 Dream/Fantasy muster station list)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dream-fantasy-muster-stations.2639344/page-15#post-53632552

My brain mis-fired and realized this thread was about the Dream/Fantasy and we're on the Wish. I just hope their "on deck" isn't the sardine can those pictures show 😬. Somewhere I found a google spreadsheet with all the ships info. I'll have to load my step-dad with anti anxiety meds, he's not a huge fan of crowds.

My first cruise in 2014 the muster station was indoors at some theater, and I don't remember much other than we went there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter