• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First cruise...should I transfer to costco?

OSUgal03

Earning My Ears
I booked our first cruise a couple weeks ago. But I am now reading that if I transfer to costco (we are still within the 30 days) we can earn a costco cash card. But from what I am reading, you give up "control" of your reservation. What exactly are you giving up control of? We already have our rooms picked out, I understand that our payments will go through costco, but is there more to it? I am trying to decide if we should transfer it. I like to have control, but the gift card might be worth it!

That's about it. If you want to make changes, you have to go through Costco. The cashback card is quite generous. If you're an executive member, you will get even more back. You will still do your own online check-in and select your own excursions and purchases. It's just the payment and any changes you want to make to your reservation, like rooms or MDR seating or requests that will have to go through Costco.

That's about it. If you want to make changes, you have to go through Costco. The cashback card is quite generous. If you're an executive member, you will get even more back. You will still do your own online check-in and select your own excursions and purchases. It's just the payment and any changes you want to make to your reservation, like rooms or MDR seating or requests that will have to go through Costco.

Thanks for the info! So it doesn't really sound like I will be missing out on having "control". Our Membership is up for renewal in November, so I think we will upgrade to the executive membership and then transfer the booking. Thanks.

Totally worth it assuming you don't need other services of a TA. If you have the Costco Visa apparently that also gets you some percentage back (I'm not sure of the exact figure, as I'm Canadian and we don't have it here). The gift card is great. Any way you can save is always great!

You'll have to call Costco for anything that changes the actual fare cost or moves you around the ship. If you see an upgrade you want, you’ll have to call Costco. So do not look for upgrades when Costco travel is closed!!! (That goes for any TA)

But you arrange dining, port adventures, etc, on your own through dcl website. You can even arrange for distilled water if you have a cpap.

And with Costco you pay directly through their portal to dcl, so that’s seamless. I believe (unless I’m getting it mixed with Royal) that they’ll have a slightly earlier date to pay in full, which helps you in case a card has expired or something like that. Gives you wiggle room if a payment doesn’t go through

And with Costco you pay directly through their portal to dcl, so that’s seamless. I believe (unless I’m getting it mixed with Royal) that they’ll have a slightly earlier date to pay in full, which helps you in case a card has expired or something like that. Gives you wiggle room if a payment doesn’t go through

This is true - the PIF date is about 2 weeks earlier.

Another question, if you transfer it to costco, but put it on your disney visa, do you still get the 6 months financing with the disney card, or is it considered a disney purchase?

Another question, if you transfer it to costco, but put it on your disney visa, do you still get the 6 months financing with the disney card, or is it considered a disney purchase?

Good question. I don't have a Disney Visa so I'm pretty clueless about that. Someone here will know for sure! ::yes::

Yes, since the payment is made directly to DCL (just "going through" Costco's rep or website) it will qualify for the zero-interest offer on the Disney Visa card. If payment were made to Costco - as in, it appears on your credit card statement as a Costco charge - then it would not qualify.

Enjoy your cruise!

Can you still use Disney Gift Cards (not Disney Visa) to pay for your cruise, if you're paying it through Costco? Thanks

Yes, but you'll have to call Costco Travel, as that isn't one of the options available online. I understand that they will call DCL while you are on the phone to make those payment arrangements.

FWIW, I just booked my first cruise through Costco this week. Did the initial purchase online and that went smoothly. I then found out about the "secret verandah" rooms and wanted to save some money and change my room. I contacted Disney through online chat and they told me I had to contact Costco Travel so I did.

In my experience, Costco was fantastic! I intended to cancel my cruise with Costco and switch to Disney since they showed the room I wanted available, and Costco didn't. The Costco agent who I spoke with (after a very short hold time BTW) offered to call DCL herself, with me on hold, and see if she could request the room I wanted. She, and I, waited nearly 20 minutes before speaking with someone at DCL. She was able to secure my room and make notations for me with DCL before disconnecting with me. It was a great experience, got the room I wanted at a cheaper rate and still get my Costco Cash Card after the trip.

So book away with Costco.

Just a heads up, Costco Travel only accepts VISA and Mastercard for credit card payments.

Let's say you want to use your Amex or another preferred payment method, you will have to improvise a bit. One option is, make a sizable (but not full) payment directly with DCL before you do the transfer. Or, alternatively, do the transfer, buy the Disney gift cards using your Amex, and then call Costco Travel to make the payment using the gift cards.

We booked our last two cruises through a TA and got an onboard credit. This time we booked while we were on the cruise and then transferred it to Costco when we got home. Our Costco cash card is going to $700+ and everything has gone well so far. Glad to hear that others have had a positive experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter