First cruise...... SUCCESS!!!

av8erdunn

Earning My Ears
Our first cruise on the Dream was the week of October 7th and I have to say it was a success. The first day I was somewhat overwhelmed trying to get the navigator working on all of our phones and trying to find stuff on the ship but after that it was fantastic. It was crowded and you do not want to get in the pools due to standing room only and the line for the aqua duck was long but there was plenty for the kids to do while mom and dad are in the adult areas. We stayed on the boat in Nassau and got off at castaway cay for 2 hours. It was ok but I will be honest and say the beaches where I live are better. Sand is softer, whiter, etc. Once back at the boat it was empty and I actually got in a pool for the first time on day 3. The kids rode the aqua duck time and time again then went to the kids club for a bit.

All in all it was a great trip and we look forward to the next one. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

This is a pic I took at about 5:30 am after a brief rain shower. Just thought I would share as most have really liked it. It would have been better with a real camera but I was working with an iPhone.

DC20B6EA-6A42-4D66-8F9E-8789FD6BB6D7.jpeg

That's still a pretty amazing shot. The slight distortion due to the water on deck plus the sunrise makes that shot work really well.

The first day I was somewhat overwhelmed trying to get the navigator working on all of our phones and trying to find stuff on the ship but after that it was fantastic.
If it makes you feel better I tend to get a bit overwhelmed on Day 1 on a new ship. First day jitters, I guess?

It's only when you take the second trip on a ship that you feel comfortable the moment you step aboard.

It was crowded and you do not want to get in the pools due to standing room only and the line for the aqua duck was long but there was plenty for the kids to do while mom and dad are in the adult areas.
This has been my experience onboard DCL. Not saying that pools on the Royal Oasis class aren't crowded, but not to the extent you see on DCL.

We stayed on the boat in Nassau and got off at castaway cay for 2 hours. It was ok but I will be honest and say the beaches where I live are better. Sand is softer, whiter, etc. Once back at the boat it was empty and I actually got in a pool for the first time on day 3. The kids rode the aqua duck time and time again then went to the kids club for a bit.
I can see how Castaway can seem underwhelming if you have nice beaches in your area. All my nearby beaches are on Lake Ontario and that should tell you all you need to know. Still, Castaway is the nicest private island/peninsula I've been to on a cruise.

Where do you live that the beaches are better? Glad you had a great cruise!
Probably somewhere that wasn't just directly hit by a major hurricane ;)

When we went to Castaway on our last two cruises, it was perfection. Soft perfectly white sand. I've braced myself for the fact it has probably had a good chunk of erosion from Dorian and won't be back to what it was for a year or more.

I think Mlle mevelandry did a report on Coco Cay. I don't have any firsthand experience there.

I will say that Castaway is better than Labadee.

This is a pic I took at about 5:30 am after a brief rain shower. Just thought I would share as most have really liked it. It would have been better with a real camera but I was working with an iPhone.

View attachment 445228
Great Picture.
I guess I am not the only person who gets up at 5:30 in the morning to get sunrise pictures. ☀

I live on the gulf coast and we are about 1 hour away from Perdido Key Fl, little further to Destin and Panama City Beach. Don’t get me wrong, it was nice but nothing new to us. You could tell it had some erosion from the storm but they bounced back that’s for sure. The water was cloudy and you couldn’t see very well either. I am glad everyone else enjoys it too because we get the boat to ourselves.

I can see how Castaway can seem underwhelming if you have nice beaches in your area. All my nearby beaches are on Lake Ontario and that should tell you all you need to know. Still, Castaway is the nicest private island/peninsula I've been to on a cruise.
Coming from Minnesota, I completely agree. Our lakes are lovely and beautiful, but we lack the gorgeous blue water and the palm trees!

Our first cruise on the Dream was the week of October 7th and I have to say it was a success. The first day I was somewhat overwhelmed trying to get the navigator working on all of our phones and trying to find stuff on the ship but after that it was fantastic. It was crowded and you do not want to get in the pools due to standing room only and the line for the aqua duck was long but there was plenty for the kids to do while mom and dad are in the adult areas. We stayed on the boat in Nassau and got off at castaway cay for 2 hours. It was ok but I will be honest and say the beaches where I live are better. Sand is softer, whiter, etc. Once back at the boat it was empty and I actually got in a pool for the first time on day 3. The kids rode the aqua duck time and time again then went to the kids club for a bit.

All in all it was a great trip and we look forward to the next one. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

View attachment 445228

glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise!!
and now you know why a disney cruise is a big mistake...
much like potato chips, bet you can't do just one....

we took both our kids and their families in july..
while our kids had been on DCL when they were young, this was the first time for our toddler grandchildren..
and even they are asking when we're going again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter