First Deluxe Resort Stay

How many adults and how many kids?

If adults only and no kids, my order would be:

Grand Floridian
Beach Club/Yacht Club or Boardwalk
Poly
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Wilderness Lodge

With small kids (toddlers or young kids)
Grand Floridian
Animal Kingdom Lodge (animals and pools and theming and wonderful cast members and great public space)
Poly
Boardwalk
Contemporary (might move up if you're planning to go to MK a lot)
Beach/Yacht Club
Wilderness

With bigger kids, I'd move Beach/Yacht club up - the pool is great, but only with strong swimmers and more mature kids - the water slide is across the walkway to Epcot and it's not easy for toddlers.

It will be me, my husband, our 27 year old daughter and our 10 year old son. We will be going in February next year and won't be doing the water parks this time around. That's why I've been leaning towards Beach Club because we all love our pool time. We won't be going to HS at all, will spend 2 days in Epcot, 2 days in MK and 2 days in AK.

For our 5th trip in June we are staying deluxe for the 1st time at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I picked the resort (well my daughter did most of the picking) for its incredible atmosphere and its restaurants. Also as I have posted before on our last trip I took my resort hopping day and AKL was one of the places I stopped at. They went above and beyond showing the place. I was invited to wander around the pool, they showed me the restaurants (this I knew but hey it was fun) and a very kind CM even arranged for me to take a tour of a room. They really seem to want people there which was the complete opposite of the way I was treated at Beach Club. A lot of people talk about the distance but its not really that far away from the other parks. And I use bus rides as a chance to change batteries on the camera and just enjoy some air conditioning.

AKL is my daughter's first choice as well. What was the pool like? My son absolutely loves his pool time which is why we were leaning towards Beach Club, but if the pool here is awesome as well, that would make both kiddos happy, which almost NEVER happens.

Polynesian -- Being one of the original resorts there is a lot of history there. You really can't beat watching the fireworks from the beach after you just had dinner at Ohana. You are a monorail ride to MK or Epcot.

If you feel you are torn between two resorts then plan a split stay so that you can experience two of your favorite resorts .

You could also save a little money and look into a DVC rental. so that you can make this dream trip a little more affordable.

Last edited:
AKL is my daughter's first choice as well. What was the pool like? My son absolutely loves his pool time which is why we were leaning towards Beach Club, but if the pool here is awesome as well, that would make both kiddos happy, which almost NEVER happens.

The pool at Jambo is nice and very lovely, but DD8 said the slide was boring. Stormalong Bay is just huge though and has the lazy river, big slide, sand bottom, and beach play area along with 3 hot tubs. So they're completely different!

I can't tear myself away from AKL, Nothing like Waking up to animals outside of your Balcony. The resort also has a lot going on, you can easily spend a day doing activities.

2 zero entry pools, 2 water slides, and a big kids' play area. Last time we were there, we didn't have kids and it was too cold to swim, so I have only seen the pools without going in them (last time 2 years ago), and they look really fun. The pool at Kidani, which I believe is the one everyone raves about, I think is open to hotel guests and DVC,

Given the age of your kids - I would go for Beach Club/Yacht Club first, because your son if he can swim would enjoy the pool there a lot (pirate ship slide!!!!) and it's close enough to the Boardwalk that your daughter can do some more grown-up things there as well.

BUT - AKL would be great if BC/YC doesn't work out or if one is much less expensive than the other. AKL is a destination unto itself, the signature restaurant is great, the lounge is great. You really can't go wrong.

It will be me, my husband, our 27 year old daughter and our 10 year old son. We will be going in February next year and won't be doing the water parks this time around. That's why I've been leaning towards Beach Club because we all love our pool time. We won't be going to HS at all, will spend 2 days in Epcot, 2 days in MK and 2 days in AK.

The POLY and CR have huge rooms and would be more comfortable for your family IMO than AK and WL (rooms are A LOT smaller). The POLY is more of an experience IMO also easy to ride the direct monorail to Epcot from there.

I'm not a fan of CR decor, but that's me. Also, not a fan of BC but we don't swim when we go to Disney. BWI is really nice but smaller rooms, but I think the deluxe rooms are larger/roomier.

I would do POLY if you don't mind paying the extra $$. They don't seem to have the best discounts now days though. :(

Last edited:

Will you park hop at all? We usually hit whatever park has EMH in the morning and then walk over to either Epcot or HS at night. It's one of the reasons we love BC so much.

Will you park hop at all? We usually hit whatever park has EMH in the morning and then walk over to either Epcot or HS at night. It's one of the reasons we love BC so much.

I'm not sure if we will park hop or not. We didn't have the option our last trip, but didn't miss it either.

Hello all!

It's been a couple of years since we have been to Disney. We're planning on going again in February '19. I want to make this trip a really once in a lifetime kind of experience.

If you could stay at only one Deluxe resort, which would you choose and why? Thanks for any and all input!!

Well, they all have their pro's and cons. I'd say stay near the park you will visit the most. If it's more an adult trip, you might like the Boardwalk area. It nice to walk over to Epcot, have a nice dinner or cocktail in the evening. The MK view at the CR is really cool. You can watch the FW's from your room. AKL is exotic, WL is cosy. The Poly has that touch of Hawaii.

Guess I'm no help, I love them all.

Hello all!

It's been a couple of years since we have been to Disney. We're planning on going again in February '19. I want to make this trip a really once in a lifetime kind of experience.

If you could stay at only one Deluxe resort, which would you choose and why? Thanks for any and all input!!

Wilderness lodge. Beautiful grounds. Small and compact. Quick boat ride to MK. Cheaper than other deluxes.

For your first deluxe stay, I'd recommend any of the monorail resorts.

We've stayed at Poly(twice), BLT (Contemporary) (3 times) and Wilderness Lodge (only once). On our last trip we stayed at the Poly, and for our next trip, our kids want to go back to the Contemporary!

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I'm still not completely decided, but now I have more of an idea what to look at at each resort.

Cannot beat the Contemporary for convenience. Monorail from inside your resort and never a long wait, walk to MK in 10 minutes, 1 transfer to Epcot via Monorail, Best restaurant on property (California Grill), Best view for fireworks from your room, best character meal (Chef Mickeys) although the food is average. Water parade from the beach, boat ride to Hoop De Doo, nice pools. The list goes on and on. My favorite part is watching the fireworks from the balcony with a nice adult beverage then a very short walk to bed.

Go to you tube and find Tim Trackers channel. He does some great detailed touring of some resorts.

Another vote for Tim Tracker's videos...not just for resorts but so many things Disney. We are staying at the Poly for a multi-gen trip in May and I sent the parents and grandkids his Polynesian Resort video and they are super excited. So much detail - even the laundry room!

Here is his video page from youTube so you can see all that is available: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTimTracker/videos

We’ve long been Contemporary fans and that has never changed. Nostalgia plays a part in that I guess since it was the resort we stayed at on our first visit and many thereafter. :love: The GF would be our second choice.

We really liked Poly (it was our first deluxe resort), but now our kids are older we tend to spend an equal amount of time at all the parks, and being able to walk to Epcot and to DHS (or take a boat) makes Yacht Club our favorite, not to mention it has by FAR the best pool at Disney. If our kids were younger still and we spent a majority of time at MK, then perhaps Poly would win out. But we love being able to walk to Epcot for the dining/drink options or rides, easy access to DHS (and Tower of Terror, Toy Story and Rock n Roller Coaster are some of our favorite rides), love Storm Along Bay, and the Crescent Lake location is very relaxing. So until the Star Wars hotel is open, Yacht Club is tops for us.

Yacht Club, Beach Club or Boardwalk Inn. I love being able to walk/water taxi to Epcot/Hollywood Studios. The Epcot Resort area is beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter