First ever Trip to Universal/Orlando February 1-8 2022!

We flew Spirit once because it's one of the only carriers that offers direct flights between our closest airport and Orlando, but even though Jetblue will get us in after dinner time I would rather fly with them and have the kids eat late. It's maybe good for young solo travelers on a backpacking budget but for families, by the time you pay all the little upcharges for bags and to sit together, you might as well go with one of the main carriers.
[/Q
Hi! Thanks for reading and responding to my trip report! Those upcharges are a nightmare, they charge for everything. In the end it worked out for the best since it was only slightly more expensive going with SW, and that includes 2 checked bags!

Sorry to hear of your trouble with Spirit!
We have never flown with them, and now I am glad.
We always fly Delta and have been doing that for several years.
We have never had a problem with them at all. They have reliable flight times. We have never had our flight be late. Maybe we've been lucky over the past several years, but we will stick with them. Minneapolis is the "hub" for Delta.
Thank you! It was a bit of a nightmare but it worked out in the end. I'll have to look into delta for my next trip, thanks for the tip. Also, thanks for taking the time to read my trip report!

Update: Hello everyone who bothers to read this LOL, Happy New Year! What a difference two months can bring starting a new job, planning my trip, and also battling the Rona its been a whirlwind! Having said all that, I can't believe it's just over three weeks away from my trip; it feels like I just booked it last week. The excitement is building as the day gets closer. Everything for my trip is booked and paid for, except for my AP as I am still waffling between the preferred or the premier. I'm weighing the pros and cons of both. Other than that, I've been obsessively checking Universal's website for more info about Mardi Gras, I'm excited to see what the concert lineup is. Once again, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this, odds are i'll be posting more frequently as my departure date gets closer. Until next time, have a good one!

For me, the preferred ap works fine
When I bought my ap, it only had two levels for it
Have been renewing mine since 1994 annually

At the most I only make two trips a year to UO and don’t shop that much in the parks to need the extra discount

I stay at a premier hotel so the perk for the higher ap, is not a necessity for me

You will read how many feel the premier ap is more beneficial for them

Enjoy your vacation!

For me, the preferred ap works fine
When I bought my ap, it only had two levels for it
Have been renewing mine since 1994 annually

At the most I only make two trips a year to UO and don’t shop that much in the parks to need the extra discount

I stay at a premier hotel so the perk for the higher ap, is not a necessity for me

You will read how many feel the premier ap is more beneficial for them

Enjoy your vacation!
I think I am going with the preferred AP and then upgrade later if I want. The main reason I was considering the premier is that it comes with a free HHN ticket and I'm already planning on attending that this year. Thanks again for taking the time to read my trip report.

First off, I want to say sorry for how long it took me to put this trip report out, but since I’ve been back work has been crazy. The trip was amazing, I loved it so much I already have my next trip booked, HHN here I come! Anyway, I hope you all enjoy my trip report, sorry again about the wait.

Feb 1st, 2022

I woke up early this morning excited and nervous, not only was it my first trip to UO, but it was also my first ever experience with flying so I wasn’t sure what to expect. One of the first things I did was check the weather forecast, it just so happened that a snow/ice storm was being forecasted for today; that whole week I watched the forecast like a detective watches a suspect. Luckily the storm wasn’t expected until I had left. I made it to the airport with a couple hours to spare. What did I do in the 2 hours I was waiting you may ask; the answer is I sort of built myself into a panic about the flight. Once I was on the plane and in the air, I calmed down significantly and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I got a crick in my neck from staring out the window so long. Stepping off the plane into MCO I got my first shock, it was 72 degrees, which was quite the contrast from the 18 degrees I just left at home less than 3 hours ago. I could get used to this! After picking up my bags I made my way over to the meeting spot for my ride, I went ahead and booked a ride with Universals Superstar Shuttle. I would rate my experience with the shuttle service an 8 out of 10, my only real complaint is that the aisle on the bus were ridiculously narrow. I made it over to Dockside at about 6:30PM. I have to say the lobby was truly impressive, I have never seen any hotel so well themed before. My check-in process went seamlessly, and the staff couldn’t have been nicer. Amy room was standard 2 queen room, the decoration and theming I really vibed with and it helped to relax as soon as I entered. After traveling all day, combined with all the anxiety preflight left me extremely tired I decided not to go into the parks that night, it also helped that the parks closed a 7PM that night. So, I decided to go down to the pool bar for a little and unwind and enjoy the wonderful weather and be happy that I missed the snowstorm back home which ended up dropping 10 inches of snow and an ½ inch of ice. The staff and bartenders at the bar were stellar, I have absolutely no complaints. Finally, I decided to head back to my room and zonk out for the night.
IMG_2665.JPG

02-02-2022
I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and excited about finally getting to the parks, mainly I was excited about the Wizarding World. During my trip IOA was the park with early admission, which spoiler alert I never took advantage of simply because I didn’t want to deal with the rush of people heading into the park at the same time, I gives me flashback to my retail days during Black Friday! I hopped on the free bus service to the parks at around 8:30 AM, during the drive I found myself getting emotional as I looked at the palm trees and the glimpses I was getting of the parks, it felt so surreal that I was finally here after 10 years of dreaming about a trip like this and here I was. After a surprisingly quick trip through security, and my first ever experience with a moving walkway, I got my first look at City Walk, I had to pause and take a moment to soak up the atmosphere, I finally made it! I made my way through CW towards US to pick up my AP before heading into the parks. Finally, I made my way through the gate and into Us for the first time, I found myself admiring New York, and I had to stop and just look at the Transformers attraction before making my way towards London. Once the night bust came into view my pace started to quicken as I knew Diagon Alley was close. I was about to fulfill a dream I had since I was 11 years old and read Harry Potter for the first time, I was going to go into DA! As I wandered into the dark lit brick building, I heard the soft chimes of moving bricks, the same sounds I grew up hearing in the movies and finally I saw it for the first time! Diagon Alley is better than anything I ever hoped for, the colors, the cobbled road, Gringotts, and the Dragon, it was all overwhelming to my little Harry Potter obsessed heart! I really just wandered around DA for the next 30 minutes and took in the sights and the ambiance, finally I decided to make my way to the Leaky Cauldron for breakfast. Even the restaurant was like something right out of my dreams, I decided since I was here, I would go full stop so I ordered myself the full English breakfast which came with eggs, sausage, English bacon, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes, and black pudding. Of course, I had to order pumpkin juice to go along my breakfast. The food itself was ok, not the best but not bad, the highlight was definitely the pumpkin juice; which was almost like a pumpkin cider, a unique flavor for sure but one I absolutely enjoyed. Having finished breakfast, I made my way back into DA still amazed at where I was. Even though I just finished breakfast I stopped to try a butterbeer because I saw there was no line for it, It was so good but I definitely find myself preferring the frozen, although I didn’t get to try the hot yet. I spent basically the next 3 hours in DA just exploring. Finally, I decided to hop onto the Hogwarts Express and head over to Hogwarts! From the que to the train itself The Hogwarts express blew all of my expectations out of the water. The storyline was an absolute delight and well executed. My only complaint about the attraction is the actor they got to voice Hermione sounded absolutely nothing like her, to the point it almost took me out of the experience entirely. After stepping of HE I got my first look at Hogwarts, I couldn’t believe it, I was actually standing in front of Hogwarts! If you hadn’t picked up on it already, I couldn’t believe I was in the Wizarding World. For the next few hours, I spent exploring Hogsmeade, shopping and taking countless pictures, the crowds were starting to get unbearable, so I decided to head back to the hotel. I spent the rest of the night at the hotel pool and bar and just enjoyed the night relaxing.

02-03-22 Day 3
I woke up on the third day with aching legs and feet, and I was exhausted (and possibly hungover but we don’t need to talk about that 😉). So, most of the morning I found myself at the resort relaxing poolside. Around noon I decided to uber to some shops to pick up some sunscreen and swim trunks since I was not able to find any back home since it was the off season. After shopping for a couple hours, I finally made my way back to the hotel to store my purchases before heading out into the parks, this time I decided to explore IOA. First of all, the ambience of IOA is truly incredible with Poseidon really leaving me speechless with how beautiful it was. As I was exploring the Jurassic Park area, I happened to notice the short wait time for meeting Blue. The animatronics at this meet and greet were so life like and amazing to see in person. Blue was absolutely amazing the interactions were great, she tried to steal my backpack! Leaving the Blue encounter, I leisurely made my way around the park just getting the lay of the land. While in Seuss Land I stopped off at Green Eggs and Ham and tried the pizza tots which were delicious. After eating it was about 2 before closing, so I decided to beat the crowds and head back to the hotel so I wouldn’t have to stand during the trip back to Dockside.IMG_2712.jpegIMG_2731.jpeg

02-04-22 Day 4
The forecast on my fourth day was 86 degrees, the perfect day to explore Volcano Bay! VB was going to open a half hour early for hotel guests, but once again I avoided the rush and just had a bit of a lazy morning in my hotel. I headed over to VB at around 11:30, after a very short bus trip I found myself walking through a dark tropical tunnel towards the park entrance. Honestly, I could convince myself I wasn’t at UO anymore with how immersive VB was, the plants, the music, and theming were fantastic. After finding a lounge chair in front of the wave pool I spent the next 3 hours enjoying the waves. I’m not much into waterslides, so after a few hours I was ready to head back to the hotel and get ready to explore the parks at night. VB is the best waterpark I’ve ever seen; my only complaint is that they charged 20 dollars for a locker rental. After a little R&R at the hotel, I made my way back into UO around 5:30 just as the sun started to set. I know at this point you are surprised to hear that my first stop was Diagon Alley. I have to say, being in DA as the sun starts to set really brings the park to life in a whole new way, the energy is much more chill than it is during the day. After stopping to get myself a frozen butterbeer I spent the next hour or so aimlessly wandering DA and exploring places I hadn’t noticed before. I think I find myself preferring DA over Hogsmeade, as DA was a lot less crowded, at least while I was there. Finally, I decided to make my way around out of DA and into US, and I discovered that it wasn’t just DA that comes alive when the sunsets, the other parks do as well, the lights, the music and the views from the lagoon really make Universal magical when the sun goes down. At the end of the night, I saw sign advertising the night time show Universal’s Cinematic Celebration, intrigued I decided to check it out. Words cannot even describe how I felt experiencing the show for the first time, I spent 15 minutes watching my childhood playout in front of me in the most epic way. I found myself emotional not only for the nostalgia, but also that I was seeing this in person as this was something I would have only ever seen online before. The night time show, along with all the films they highlighted just cemented for me that Universal is the park for me, no offence to Disney fans, but there is no property at Disney that comes close to the love I have for Harry Potter, when Nintendo land becomes a reality, it will just put Universal so far ahead of Disney that I will barely remember they exist. After the show I hung around CW for an hour or so before I made my way back to the Hotel because the next was going to be exciting. IMG_2831.jpegIMG_2829.jpeg

02-05-22 Day 5
MARDIGRAS BABY!
I woke up to a colder day; 68 degrees, but still warmer that home and nothing could stop my excitement for the kickoff for Mardi Gras. The forecast was also calling for rain so I made sure to pack my poncho into my backpack. I made my way over to US at around 10:30 AM, luckily on one of my other days in the park I went ahead and bought myself a couple strands of beads so I could get into the spirit before Mardi gras even started. Walking into US with the jazz music blasting really helped to build my anticipation, I also easily noticed that the park was much busier than it had been on any other of trips into the park. One of my first stops was into the Universal store as it wasn’t too busy and I needed to get a quick break from the crowds. Of course, while exploring the Mardi Gras merch I came across a purple jester mask that I immediately purchased and proceeded to wear for the rest of the day; am I a child? Yes. Do I care? No. 😊 While stepping out of the store with my new mask, I could see down by New York where the majority of booths were located, that it was already busy I decided to take a look at some of the other booths in the rest of the park. I found myself at the booth just across from the Horror Makeup Show, where I decided to take advantage of my AP and purchased a Food and Beverage gift card, I went with the 120$ option that was loaded with 150$ in credit. I also ordered the seafood boil and a Hurricane. The boil came with shrimp, sausage, and corn on the cob, which was delicious. Before leaving I got a refill on my Hurricane and decided to head back to DA and pick up some souvenirs for my nieces and nephew. I stopped to listen to some of the live musicians along the way, which were all really talented. While I was in DA, I stumbled across a photo shop and proceeded to get my picture taken as if I was an Azkaban escapee, which is still one of my favorite photos from my trip. I spent a few hours exploring the rest of the park and eating and drinking, however the park just kept getting busier until finally around 3 I called it quits and went back to the hotel for the rest of the night. IMG_2931.jpegIMG_2981.jpegIMG_2859.jpegIMG_2863.jpegIMG_2963.jpegIMG_2966.jpeg

02-06-22 Day 6

This was a much slower day for me, I spent most of the day at the hotel doing laundry and packing so I wouldn’t scramble last minute. I did make my way to DA for a little before stopping off for some Voodoo Donuts; which were good but not much different from the donuts I get at my local shop back home except more expensive. I made my way back to the hotel after a couple hours and had a resort day the pool bar.

02-07-22 Day 7

My las day at UO, boo, hiss! I spent my last day trying more Mardi Gras food and drink, and of course the Wizarding World. I did find another photo store by Transformers and proceeded to have my picture taken as if I was in Jurassic Park; one thing Universal does is turn me back into a child. I really just spent the day walking around the parks trying to soak up as much as I could before I left. Unfortunately, my flight left really early, so I didn’t make it to the parade that night but I’m not much into parades anyway. After some shopping for more souvenirs, I made my way back to the hotel for a drink and some sleep.

I hope you all enjoyed my trip report, and I once again apologize for getting this out so late. I really loved my time at Universal, it was better than I ever could have hoped. I really learned on this trip that there is a difference between taking time off work and going on vacation. I loved this trip truly, to the point I’m already planning my next trip. Thank you to all who took the time to read this report, I had fun writing it. I already have my next trip booked, HHN here I come! If anyone is interested, I may write a report about that on too. IMG_2811.JPGIMG_2834.JPGIMG_2824.JPGIMG_2791.JPGIMG_3012.JPGIMG_2855.JPG

Glad you came back to update.....and what a lovely trip you had.

I did enjoy reading along with you......and so happy you had such a wonderful time at UOR........look forward to your next trip report :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter