First Family Vacation EVER - July 2010 PTR

EclecticWAHM

Mouseketeer
I'm enjoying reading everyone's PTRs and decided I'd start one of my own! We're coming to WDW July 21-26 this year...just now 120 days away.

Cast:
EclecticWAHM aka Becca - 42 (as of this coming Monday), working PT, freelancing AND getting my degree online in Web Development.

Dh - 41 and just the. best. ever.

DD - 14 - my artistic, amazing, about-to-start high school teenager

DD - 12 - fabulous kid who turns 13 the day after we arrive.

We're booked at BWI with the DxDP, 6 day park hopper with water park. Love the DxDp because we like to take breaks, get out of the heat and we love having nice sit-down meals together and we’re not crazy about fast-food.
And yes, for numerous reasons that just don't matter now, this is our very FIRST family vacation. It will be my kids first time on an airplane and everything.
I arrive in Orlando on the 17th for a conference at World Center Marriott and Dh and the kids join me at BWI on the 21st. They'll get to the resort around 3ish, so that's when our vacation really starts!
I'm an obsessive planner, so I've got a spreadsheet going with all our ADRs, park plans etc. So...here we go

7/21
Arrive at BWI ( I arrive early in the day - the fam comes in around 3...so any ideas on some fun stuff I can get ready for them, surprises or anything before they arrive??) Hang out on the Boardwalk, check out the room, pool etc.
Dinner at Cape May Cafe and then...we think the perfect start to our vacation is to spend the evening at MK. We'll try to catch the parade and fireworks and do some rides.

7/22
My son's 13th birthday!!
Breakfast at Kouzzina then over to Blizzard Beach (we are BIG water park fans!!) We'll spend the morning there then head over to Epcot after a little break. Lunch reservations at Le Cellier and dinner at Teppan Edo. Epcot has EMH that night, so we'll close it down!

7/23
Breakfast at Donalds Safari and the morning in Animal Kingdom. We’ll grab a snack there and then head over to MK for late lunch reservations at Crystal Palace. Dinner at Tony’s Town Square and holy cow – EMH till 2:00 AM! Since we’re seeing the parade/fireworks the first night, we’ll use that time this night to go ride lots of rides!

7/24
Breakfast at the Captain’s Grille then over to Typhoon Lagoon. Have to try both water parks! We’ll spend the morning there then head to Hollywood Studios for a late lunch at Sci-Fi then back to Captain’s Grille for dinner. Probably back to HS for the rest of the evening EMH.

7/25
Princess Storybook Dining for breakfast at Akershus in Epcot, Lunch at Marrakesh, some chilling time in the afternoon at the hotel pool then back to HS for early dinner (Fantasmic Package) at Hollywood & Vine, some HS park time and Fantasmic.

7/26
Last day!??!! Nooooo!
Breakfast at Cape May Café then over to Epcot. Lunch at Coral Reef and hanging out in Epcot till 3ish when we sadly head back towards the hotel to get on ME to the airport around 4ish for our 7:30 PM flight home.

So…there you have it. My attitude is all about flexibility and knowing that in 6 days we just simply won’t see and do everything we want. We may miss some ADRs if we have to, miss some attractions if we have to. For this first family vacation it’s about chilling and just having fun. No worries if we miss something…we WILL be back again!
Whatcha think…manageable?

And this, folks, is why I'm obsessed with July coming SOON:

IMG_1329.JPG

I'm here! I can't believe you are having a blizzard right now!!!! Crazy!! Just keep thinking of WDW in July!!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip! :thumbsup2

I'm here! I can't believe you are having a blizzard right now!!!! Crazy!! Just keep thinking of WDW in July!!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip! :thumbsup2

Yay! Thanks for coming!

Can you BELIEVE the weather! You should see it now. There's already several inches and it's sticking to the streets. They're saying we'll get over a foot of snow. Methinks I'm working from home tomorrow!!

So, here it is, over three months out and I have pretty much everything done with regards to planning yet I can't stay away from here. I love reading everyone's trip reports and all the informational threads. I swear I'm already plotting another Disney vacation though DH says he wants to do Hawaii first before another Disney trip. Fair enough. LOL

We're trying to avoid checked luggage for DH and the kids, so I'm thinking about packing. I have to check a bag since I come in four days before they do for a conference with a TOTALLY different wardrobe than I'll be wearing for Disney. Ugh - I even have to pack high heels and a fancy dress for a big awards thing. I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth it to maybe ship out a box to the resort beforehand with stuff like toiletries, sunscreen, the highly-recommended Body Glide, some snacks and stuff. Is that a good idea to cut down on what DH and the kids need to bring? With carry-on they can't have more than 3oz containers of stuff like shampoo, sunscreen and all that. I figure we'll go though at least 2 big things of sunscreen while we're there - we are seriously pale people!

Anyone know what kind of toiletries are provided at the BWI? Body wash is a thing for me. I HATE bar soap with a passion, and between the 4 of us, we'll go though a bottle of body wash in a week. I've noticed a lot of hotels provide shampoo but not conditioner too - anyone know about that, and if it's any good?

We're doing 2 mornings at water parks and of course planning on taking advantage of the pool at BWI. I wonder if we should bring 2 swimsuits each?

I swear - it's a sickness. July seems so far away but I want to start packing NOW!!! :cool1:

FINALLY, I think we're done with winter here. It was in the 70's today, but there's always a chance for those freak Colorado late April blizzards. Hopefully not this year! So YES - we are at 100 days. Double digits tomorrow!

Is it time to start packing yet??? No? :::sigh::: Ok...a girl can dream, though!

I'm going through the shoe dilemma. Have my super comfy Teva Mush sandals and I LOVE them. Trying to find another comfortable pair of shoes for the parks. I have done decent sneakers, but I don't like them for tons of walking. I have some old Crocs and I'm thinking about buying a new pair that's not so worn out. Ugly as sin, but man are they comfortable.

Now the kids shoes - this a a problem. They're 14 and 12 and growing like WEEDS. Have found some cool, comfy stuff for them, but I hesitate to buy anything till we're closer to the trip. My son went from a men's size 5 to a 7 in just over a month!! DD is already a size 8! Guess that's what I get for marrying a really tall guy :-) He's 6'3" and I'm only 5'1". Both kids are taller than me now. DD by almost 5 inches!!

Starting to set stuff aside for the trip - buying sunscreen on sale, box of band-aids and other miscellaneous stuff I think I may just ship out in a box.

Anyone know where to get cool lanyards with the handy plastic slots to put your KTTW cards, or should we get those at the resort gift shop when we arrive?

Guess that's all for now. It's getting closer!!!

Anyone know where to get cool lanyards with the handy plastic slots to put your KTTW cards, or should we get those at the resort gift shop when we arrive?

Believe it or not, I actually found the most practical kind at Staples. I ended up not buying but I was tempted. It was things for business meeting or conventions, I'm sure, but they had all these plastic pockets, some on retractable string. I thought it would be perfect.

Glad to hear the Winter is finally over for you too. We had quite the heat wave last week, with some days getting up to 90! But now it's back to normal in the 60s and I'm fine with that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter