First Fort Trip, Had a Great time, Thanks all. New pics posted 3/23

So here is the Monday morning report. We are 5 days and a wake up away from leaving. Our first stop will be Walterboro, SC for the night, then continuing to the Fort on Sunday. The weather forecast for this week is lousy to say the least, most days a high of 15 and about zero for the lows, except tonight calling for -11. Then of course add in the windchill, and well it is cold.:cold: Trailer is pretty much packed and ready to roll, need to start up the fridge later in the week and fill it. Load up the tow vehicle, fuel it up and then hitch up on Friday ready to roll.:drive: By this time next week we will be hanging out at the Parks, taking in the sights. Hope to have some pictures during the trip to post, but I do shoot RAW format in my Canon, so I won't be able to post alot. Will try to keep everyone updated and let you all live vicariously through our TR. Time to hit the store for a few last items and to fill my propane tanks.

Friday was cold down in VA as well. So cold that even with 40 gallons of fresh fuel I had gel up issues in the morning as I went to work. Lesson learned, keep some anti gel treatment around if they are going to forcast cold cold temps for days on end. I guess they don't blend the diesel for really cold weather around here.

Safe travels southbound. We got the full brunt of the storm and man was I busy. I work PT towing and Saturday I had more wich outs then I can remember, and when I usually do about 8-10 calls per shift on a normal day, I had done 18 in the same shift. This area just does not handle snow very well as people are out there that have no reason to be out. One couple figured they would go out to the movies in the middle of the storm, they got to spend an two hours in the ditch till I got the call and arrived.

Friday was cold down in VA as well. So cold that even with 40 gallons of fresh fuel I had gel up issues in the morning as I went to work. Lesson learned, keep some anti gel treatment around if they are going to forcast cold cold temps for days on end. I guess they don't blend the diesel for really cold weather around here.

Safe travels southbound. We got the full brunt of the storm and man was I busy. I work PT towing and Saturday I had more wich outs then I can remember, and when I usually do about 8-10 calls per shift on a normal day, I had done 18 in the same shift. This area just does not handle snow very well as people are out there that have no reason to be out. One couple figured they would go out to the movies in the middle of the storm, they got to spend an two hours in the ditch till I got the call and arrived.

Yea, always marvel at people that insist their continuing life thru the middle of storms. There is nothing I need in life that can't wait. Glad that you were able to stay safe helping those out after they got stuck. Yea, we put anti gel in the diesels just to be safe, with prolonged below freezing temps, it helps.

There's an easy shot on that 12 into the corner pocket and set up the 10 for a followup...

Just sayin...

Oh, and nice rack!

Yea, the pool table was just a convenient spot to photograph. So you are saying you have stripes ?? Ok, then looks like I have the low balls. Thanks.

DSCN2742 (800x600).jpg
DSCN2744 (800x600).jpg
DSCN2746 (800x600).jpg
Final Pics of Spice Rack loaded up and ready for it's home in the trailer. It is designed so nothing tips over and I can use it in or out of the trailer when cooking.

Last edited:

That is a great idea. Would something like that work if you put a turning base on it so you could spin it around? Just asking because you are inspiring me to make something similar.

What you doing for the snow on top the trailer before you go? Is having heat on inside been helping at all? I pushed some off the top (carefully?) with broom after the last storm on weekend, but would have to really work hard to get the older stuff off as it is quite hard now...not doing that, but if I had to drive somewhere, guess it would be necessary...

That is a great idea. Would something like that work if you put a turning base on it so you could spin it around? Just asking because you are inspiring me to make something similar.

tiggerdad, absolutely could have made something that would have fit on top of a lazy susan, this was a quick project and I had the shelf space for this design. The whole base measures approx. 12" x 16". I wanted something that I could put on the shelf in the trailer, but could pull out and put on the fold out table by my bumper mount grill for cooking.

Last winter we got snow just before I left for Disney (January 2014), I pushed off what I could but most of it was frozen solid. So I hit the road and I think it stayed cold enough that none of it melted until I stopped and had the heat on inside.

What you doing for the snow on top the trailer before you go? Is having heat on inside been helping at all? I pushed some off the top (carefully?) with broom after the last storm on weekend, but would have to really work hard to get the older stuff off as it is quite hard now...not doing that, but if I had to drive somewhere, guess it would be necessary...

4077, well I was lucky and on Sunday it got into the mid 30's, so there I was on the roof with a soft broom breaking up the crust and sweeping the snow off. So the roof is clear now for travel, unless we get a dusting tonight and well, that will just blow off. Didn't want to leave the ice chunks to fly off and damage anyone's vehicle. Now we are safe and ready to travel. No it has been too cold here for the space heater to affect the roof at all.

I really cant wait for you to get to the Fort. I am addicted to tent camping and I really want to camp the Fort. I have a few bills to clear up before I reward myself with a solo tent trip so Ill live vicariously through you until then :) If I could afford a truck and a 5th wheel, id be drivin gdown with you! haha

We are tunned! Keep the updates going :)
My kid is trying to talk me into starting our own TR. We are heading down ther at the end of March. We will see....

Attachments

• 1424822604190.jpg
    1424822604190.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 4
Wouldn't have started the TR so far out but being laid off for the winter gave me time to sit around and type some. That and the freezing cold temps have kept me inside. We have packed up, believe at this time the trailer is fully packed and ready minus the fridge. So tomorrow, I will check tire pressure and go gas the truck up for the trip. Unload the sandbags out of the truck, for those down south, they help with traction in the snow. I can pack the nephews bike and some of the stuff in the truck bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter