First names you dislike

When I was a teen (a long time ago!), I lived in Essex County, Ontario, which has a fairly high population of people of French-Canadian descent. Gay was a popular BOY'S name at the time (this was just before it became a synonym for homosexual). I think it was an Anglicization of the French name Guy, which is pronounced "Hard-G - ee" and for some reason got translated to Gay rather than Guy.

I actually really like the masculine form of this name when pronounced as intended. But I imagine it would be difficult to get anyone to pronounce it "hard g - ee" in the States. I've only ever known people named Guy (hard G -- eye).

I actually really like the masculine form of this name when pronounced as intended. But I imagine it would be difficult to get anyone to pronounce it "hard g - ee" in the States. I've only ever known people named Guy (hard G -- eye).

When I was little my best friend's family was French Canadian. She had a cousin visit from Canada one summer and his name was Guy (G-ee). He was soooo cute!

My friend's name was Monique, but her parents figured Americans wouldn't be able to pronounce it (??), so they introduced her as "Muh-nick." So she was always "Muh-nick" to us. Her other cousin was named Alain, but again, didn't think we could pronounce it, so they said to call him "Ah-LAY."

Boy names on a girl. Alexandria was on the list for DD but I didn't want her called Alex so I vetoed it.

Weird spellings. Often times, especially in my area, I think the parent just didn't know how to spell the nam

Last edited:

Oh and yet another tip. Don't name your kid after that hot space alien you saw on Star Trek or something. Just don't.

How on earth did you get the name seven little girl? Uh yeah. I'm named after a Borg. Kid rolls eyes. You too will be assimilated. Kid rolls eyes again. Dad just loves it when I say that. Kid rolls eyes again.

Judsea. Uh yeah. I'm named after some hottie on Star Trek that got a giant worm parasite put inside her. That's going to go over really well.

Delenne. Uh yeah, my dad has a fetish for otherwise hot bald space aliens. Kid rolls eyes.

Just don't. Nooooooo.

My father's great aunt was named after every woman on both sides of the family when she was born because her parents could not decide who to name her after. Brace yourself as this was her actual name: Atilda Pinkna Love Devine Isabelle Sycamore Sarah Caroline. Also known to the family as Great Aunt Attie:rolleyes1 If that doesn't just take the cake I'm not sure what does:o

My dad wanted to name me Barbara-this isn't a bad name but Mom's problem with it was how he got the name. Apparently, he had a friend who had an absolutely beautiful girlfriend named Barbara and mom wasn't too pleased with that.

Now that I am expecting my first child, finding a name for him was hard- because I had relatives wanting their name to be included (my grandmother wistfully said that she always wanted one of her grandchildren to have her name-conveniently forgetting that she has two granddaughters who share her middle name :rolleyes:) Finally I put my foot down after the name lists got longer and the phone calls got annoying. DH and I found a name that we like and have stuck to it!

DD's name is Carys. Traditional Welsh spelling (we aren't Welsh at all!). I got the name from Catherine Zeta Jones/Michael Douglas DD. I was thinking of changing it to Karis to make it easier for other people (which is weird because I'm completely against weird spellings), but her father was completely against it. Thank God we stuck with Carys.

Carys (Charis, I think) is the root of my own name although my parents didn't intend it that way. With mine they heard it in a college class and thought it would be pretty so here I am. I guess some people think it's pretty but for me it's just a name people can neither spell nor pronounce!

I had to come back and post this one that I saw at work last week. (This was a middle name, not a first name, but still).

Haybaybay

No joke.

Let's see...... I have to agree with crazy spellings. Teaching in a predominantly Hispanic high school I try to pronounce them as Spanish and then get told it is something else Mikael (to me mick-aye-el) nope Michael. Eiras (rolled r, thought it would be a male) nope "it's iris, like the flower"

Also don't care for people with twins naming them similar names. Especially identical twins. It's hard enough for me to tell them apart now I got to try to remember which name goes with which?

Oh my, my boys have had some winners in their school classes, one I still can't get over - Serenity.
All I can think when I hear that name is George's Dad screaming 'Serenity Now!'.

Also, one of my sons is named Nathaniel. WHY OH WHY do people think that is synonymous with Nathan??? Two totally different names, ugh!
I know a kid whose name is pronounced Nathaniel, but spells it Nataniel. .???

I don't like most of the "older"names: Eleanor, Margaret, Geraldine, Gladys, Bertha, Edith, Edna,Hattie, Addie etc. they all just sound not pretty at all to me.

Names that are or were also popular more recently that I don't like at all:
Madison, MacKenzie, Abigail, Elizabeth.

Boys-Carl, Bruce, Ronald, Donald

I have an Alliyah on my 5-6 year old team this year.

Really? When you could have just spelled it Alia (a-lee-a) and given the poor kid a chance at people getting her name right at least some of the time!??!!
The spelling they gave is closer to the "correct" one-Aaliyah. I would definitely pronounce your spelling as AH-lia. This is why I don't get hung up on spellings. People are always so obsessed with the "right" way to spell a name, but there aren't really any rules. Names come from different languages, spellings get changed. It's the way it is. My great-grandma's name got changed to "Susan" when she came to Ellis Island. Come to find out, it wasn't even close to her real name. We learned that digging through some paperwork after she died!

I don't really like my own first name. Never been a fan of unisex names. Got called Les Nessman a lot when I was a kid, so that's probably why o_O

I have always loved them for girls (ever since Dr Quinn being called Mike)
My oldest daughters name is Elliot and my younger two girls middle names are Dylan and Andy (Andy after my Pop)

I have always loved them for girls (ever since Dr Quinn being called Mike)
My oldest daughters name is Elliot and my younger two girls middle names are Dylan and Andy (Andy after my Pop)

I love Elliot for a girl. I love boys names for girls too. I like Kyle and Ryan a lot.

I know a kid whose name is pronounced Nathaniel, but spells it Nataniel. .???

That reminds me of a girl I had the misfortune to go to high school with. Her name was spelled Karen, but apparently the pronunciation was Car-In. :rolleyes2 Heaven help anyone who though that this girl's name was also pronounced the normal, traditional way every other Karen was pronounced.:sad2::rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter