First names you dislike

I know a woman who used to come to our Church bingo whose daughter was named (I kid you not) Velveeta.

And I have a friend who's a kindergarten teacher who had a child actually named Princess Tiana. Yes, the Princess was part of her legal name.

I see names like that all the time on paperwork at my job- there was one last week- Bethzabeth- seemed really odd to me!

I love common names. (My kids can always get a Disney World cup with their name on it! haha) I have 2 girls, Grace Elizabeth and Sophia Elizabeth. Neither were popular when we chose them. I had never met another Grace or Sophia. Now, we go to church with 3 Grace Elizabeth's and a few Sophia Grace's. haha But I love their names and they will be beautiful and elegant even when they are older. Now they go by Gracie and Pia (like leah, but with a P) Originally it started because her sister couldn't pronounce the "ph" so she would call her Sopia, and it gradually shortened to Pia with her. Now we call her that because if you holler Sophia or Sophie at the park 13 little girls look at you. LOL

My name is Michelle. I love it. I grew up in the 80's and it is a traditional name of the era, but not overdone. I was named after my dad (michael).

If I had any more children (which I will NOT) I would name her Juliette. Love that name.
Would Juliette also have Elizabeth as her middle name? I'm intrigued by that!

Would Juliette also have Elizabeth as her middle name? I'm intrigued by that!
YES! My grandma, mom and I all share it as a middle name so I never really considered anything else. I knew Sophia would be our last (I got a tubal) and I didn't want her to feel left out as she got older. Now that I am 2 in I would have to keep it going. haha

That being said, I grew up with two brothers who shared a middle name, so it was normal for us. Jason Michael and Steven Michael- after my dad, Michael.
:goodvibes Thanks! The only similar instance I know of is a family that had 4 daughters and as they started their own families they each named their first (or only) son James. Only the oldest of the boys, the one born first (he is my nephew), goes by the name James. The second oldest was always and still is known as Jamie and the last two are called by their middle names; Cory and Kelly. Funny thing about this situation is that James was not a significant family name for them. Apparently the 4 sisters just made a pact to do it as a lark when they were girls. :confused3

Oh and yet another tip. Don't name your kid after that hot space alien you saw on Star Trek or something. Just don't.

How on earth did you get the name seven little girl? Uh yeah. I'm named after a Borg. Kid rolls eyes. You too will be assimilated. Kid rolls eyes again. Dad just loves it when I say that. Kid rolls eyes again.

Judsea. Uh yeah. I'm named after some hottie on Star Trek that got a giant worm parasite put inside her. That's going to go over really well.

Delenne. Uh yeah, my dad has a fetish for otherwise hot bald space aliens. Kid rolls eyes.

Just don't. Nooooooo.

Ha! Now this DID make me laugh because I actually am named from a Star Trek character. My parents weren't obsessed with the show or anything. They just couldn't think of a name they liked for a girl. They said they just happened to be watching Star Trek one night and a character named "Tasha" came on screen and they both looked at eachother and said, "That's it!" So not an extreme or bizaare name. I don't love it or hate it. It just is what it is. My biggest issues have been how often it is misspelled, more than once it being mispronounced, and people trying to call me Natasha or Latasha thinking it is short for that. It isn't. It's just Tasha. I was born in South Dakota (military brat) and my mom said a lot of Native Americans were using that name after I was born. In the area I live now, I've known other Tashas as well but most here are African American. I'm neither Native American nor black. And I'm not Russian either (which Natasha is).

Last edited:

As for me, there are plenty of names I don't like, honestly. BUT the ones that I absolutely can't stand are names that I don't think should be names... Precious, Princess, Honey, etc. Yes, I've seen these names MANY times...and worse. I work at a hospital and the names...well, nothing really surprises me anymore. I also can't stand the YOUNEEK spellings of traditional names. No. Just no.

Ha! Now this DID make me laugh because I actually am named from a Star Trek character. My parents weren't obsessed with the show or anything. They just couldn't think of a name they liked for a girl. They said they just happened to be watching Star Trek one night and a character named "Tasha" came on screen and they both looked at eachother and said, "That's it!" So not an extreme or bizaare name. I don't love it or hate it. It just is what it is. My biggest issues have been how often it is misspelled, more than one it being mispronounced, and people trying to call me Natasha or Latasha thinking it is short for that. It isn't. It's just Tasha. I was born in South Dakota (military brat) and my mom said a lot of Native Americans were using that name after I was born. In the area I live now, I've known other Tashas as well but most here are African American. I'm neither Native American nor black. And I'm not Russian either (which Natasha is).

HAHA Tasha Yar. HEHE. She got killed off by some black goo thing. Then when an alternate timeline happened, she got sent back in time and had a Romulan kid. So though you're not named after a space alien, you're named after someone that birthed one!!! Oh and she had an affair with Data the android too. At least nobody has to know you're named after her because that's a fairly common name.

HAHA Tasha Yar. HEHE. She got killed off by some black goo thing. Then when an alternate timeline happened, she got sent back in time and had a Romulan kid. So though you're not named after a space alien, you're named after someone that birthed one!!! Oh and she had an affair with Data the android too. At least nobody has to know you're named after her because that's a fairly common name.

Ha! Well, I have often joked that my son seems alien at times so maybe my name fits afterall! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter