First POST-COVID long-term Care Center opens. Median age: 36-38

Imzadi

♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!
Mount Sinai Health System treated a good majority of the COVID-19 patients in New York City, the former COVID-19 epicenter. They've been finding many patients are having long-term post-COVID symptoms.

"Mount Sinai Hospital Health System in New York City has opened a new care center designed specifically to treat patients with lingering COVID-19 symptoms.

Ed Hornick was diagnosed with COVID-19 in mid-March and spent a night in a London ER where he was living at the time.

But the virus continues to plague him with memory loss, brain fog and constant fatigue.

"It's been three months now, why haven't I gotten better, why am I still fatigued, why do my lungs still hurt even though i'm testing negative," Hornick said.

The 40-year-old online news editor is hardly alone.

As many as 5-15% of patients are dealing with lingering issues according to experts at the Mount Sinai Health System

"This is a real thing, our data categorically shows it's a real thing," David Putrino said.

Putrino is a doctor of neuroscience and the Director of Rehabilitation Innovation at Mount Sinai.

"These individuals are experiencing fatigue, dizziness, nausea, GI symptoms, pain ... spine and chest," Putrino said.

To help these long haulers, Mount Sinai opened the first of its kind center for post-COVID-19 care in Union Square.

"Everyone is coming together from all specialities to discuss the best way to manage these people who are coming in with all over the map symptoms," Putrino said.

It turns out that many of these patients skew younger.

The median age is about 36-38 years old, and in most cases, they didn't have a severe case of COVID-19.

Which shows that there is still so much we don't know about this virus.

"So many stories have been focused on people dying and being on ventilators," Hornick said. "What happens when you're a long hauler like me?"

Hornick wants to not only find out, but he hopes to get better by enrolling in the new post-COVID-19 care center in the next several weeks."

https://abc7ny.com/health/nyc-hospital-opens-post-covid-19-care-center/6304985/
(Bolding mine.)

I'm estimating that in about 4 months, the age range will go down further as many people in their 20's, who are nonchalantly risking getting COVID now, will also be showing up at centers like this. :(

Thanks for sharing this. COVID19 is no joke and it is such a shame seeing people pretend we're not in a pandemic or still scream "it's just the flu."

The constant battle over mask wearing, folks screaming about "the economy" and discounting all medical experts is just exhausting and disheartening.

As of this post, America is at 3 million cases and counting. Well over 130k deaths in 4 months. Just shameful statistics.

Thanks for sharing. While I am sad to hear we have to actually open places like this because of the virus, I am grateful it will be there for people who need it. This is serious and not going away anytime soon no matter how much people like to pretend or ignore it.

Thanks for sharing this. COVID19 is no joke and it is such a shame seeing people pretend we're not in a pandemic or still scream "it's just the flu."

The constant battle over mask wearing, folks screaming about "the economy" and discounting all medical experts is just exhausting and disheartening.

As of this post, America is at 3 million cases and counting. Well over 130k deaths in 4 months. Just shameful statistics.
The US has 5% of the world's population, but we've had 1/4 of the world's deaths from Covid. When will people understand that we are doing something wrong and it has to change?

It had occurred to me that far off in the future we are going to have elderly people with fibilitating conditions because of this. In my mind I compare it to COPD. My MIL died from it because she smoked for many years. She quit about 20 years ago but she still had the residual damage. Same is going to happen with many people who recover from covid. People say most people recover just fine but I feel sure there is damage that cannot be reversed.

It had occurred to me that far off in the future we are going to have elderly people with fibilitating conditions because of this. In my mind I compare it to COPD. My MIL died from it because she smoked for many years. She quit about 20 years ago but she still had the residual damage. Same is going to happen with many people who recover from covid. People say most people recover just fine but I feel sure there is damage that cannot be reversed.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that it will be that far off in the future, or that it will necessarily be elderly people. I realize the standard message is for most people it's probably just another virus and those who are vulnerable are the elderly or those with comorbidities and that the death rate has not climbed as much with the recent surges. Unfortunately what is often overlooked is that statistically there are many people who are now listed as cured who are 60+ days negative and still dealing with symptoms and problems -- yet repeatedly testing negative. These are people who would not have been tagged as at risk or vulnerable prior to contracting the virus.

Never mind the "just the flu" crowd. I've met a couple that describe it as "just the sniffles". If they even took it as seriously as the flu, that would be something. And the Covid parties? Really?

I am not surprised by this. The worst case I have personal experience with that didn’t end in death was the husband of a friend in his late 30s. He was hospitalized for more than 40 days, released in late April and is still undergoing physical therapy to regain his strength and stamina. I am glad that doctors are working on ways to help patients like him.

Post viral syndrome is very real and often hits the young and healthy much harder than older folks. My son has been dealing with it for months. It is real and it is debilitating.

I can only imagine post viral syndrome in post-covid individuals must be extra difficult.

The US has 5% of the world's population, but we've had 1/4 of the world's deaths from Covid. When will people understand that we are doing something wrong and it has to change?

a lot of people in America don’t care. That’s why the corono is bad here. You have one person in your house that doesn’t care. The rest of the household will get it. Not talking about medical workers and other people that work in the field that get corono. You look at the countries that are strict on people. Their corono is low.
you see large groups out parties, protests, Beaches with no masks it will be a disaster.. We are seeing it.

The people who don't take this seriously disgust me. Their lack of compassion for fellow travelers on this earth is very dismaying. Won't wear masks. Won't socially distance. Dismiss this plague as "just the flu." Despicable human beings and history will record them as such. That's my ONLY comfort. In the long run, history will mark them as the villains they are.

The people who don't take this seriously disgust me. Their lack of compassion for fellow travelers on this earth is very dismaying. Won't wear masks. Won't socially distance. Dismiss this plague as "just the flu." Despicable human beings and history will record them as such. That's my ONLY comfort. In the long run, history will mark them as the villains they are.

yep I call it the 10 percent. 10 percent of America doesn’t care. When this is all done and over with. The 10 percent will cause a lot of people to lose their lives , their jobs, lose their homes, etc. well they have already done that but it will get a lot worse. they don’t care. They don’t care about themselves they certainly don’t care about anyone else.Of course not all of the 10 percent will get infected. Some people do care and will get corono mostly because they was around someone who didn’t care. Not talking about our medical workers.

a lot of people in America don’t care. That’s why the corono is bad here. You have one person in your house that doesn’t care. The rest of the household will get it. Not talking about medical workers and other people that work in the field that get corono. You look at the countries that are strict on people. Their corono is low.
you see large groups out parties, protests, Beaches with no masks it will be a disaster.. We are seeing it.
just found out some of my family members in their 20s, who weren't taking it seriously and have been visiting family and friends and taking kids on outings to the zoo, chuck e cheese, etc., received a positive test result. He was feeling under the weather and only got tested because his employer forced him to so who knows how many people he exposed to the virus. He has been sick for over a week, so has his son who was kickedout of daycare when he got sick but family members have been babysitting, and his wife who has also been working with the public while sick. They exposed most of my family; my kids and I are pretty much the only ones not exposed because we have refused to visit, babysit, or go to family events. I'm really upset that my 84 year old grandma was potentially exposed!

Through this I found out how they are treating potential Covid in kids--THEY AREN'T TESTING KIDS!!! I cannot believe this, that is ridiculous. Apparently their son was the first one in the family to get sick, they took him to the doctor who treated him, prescribed some things to help his symptoms, and sent him home without testing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter