• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Review of Lilo and Stitch

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
AICN has a review of L&S from an early screening last week. Let me just say that I havn't read a review this glowing about a Disney animated film in a long while. Needless to say I'm extremely excited about watching it on the big screen. I've copied portions of the review so as not to give away too much of the storyline.

"This film has so many good things going for it, that to list them all would be 3 pages worth of text. I'll sum it up like this... CREATIVELY: This film is incredibly original, yet familiar and comforting. There are many clever jokes (that don't play to the lowest level). Gorgeous visuals (All of the backgrounds in Hawaii are hand painted in WATER COLORS!). Real Characters! This is the first time since Lion King that Disney Characters have had issues... one of my biggest gripes is that Disney has been turning out cookie cutter characters with no growth... well these people suffer... and engage you from the get go. Even the design is a departure for Disney... These girls got girth! They are not the anorexic waifs that Disney tells us are attractive... They are full figured, healthy Hawaiian girls with shape and tone. God Bless them! Whoever thought to combine Aliens, Surfing, Elvis Music and Animation must be on some good prescriptions... but guess what... IT WORKS! On every level where it could have been ridiculous and inane it achieves every blessed goal it attempted. And the Elvis soundtrack is Awesome... including the cover of Burning Love by Wynona (no, the other Wynona - she paid for the rights to the song!) over the great end credits. We left the theater beaming. I was with skeptic critic types, and hard nosed Disney haters... and we couldn't stop smiling. We all kept saying... "Finally... something worthy of the legacy!" TECHNICALLY: This is a very satisfying film for all the tech heads that plan to pick it apart. I honestly couldn't notice any CG, though I assume they used it for the space chase. The amazing lip sync and animation is so honest, sincere, and accurate that you almost forget these characters are 2 dimensional. I was completely in awe of the blending of Elvis music and Hawaiian songs. There's no "Disney" music. It's all traditional Hawaiian standards that will open some of our youth to the Polynesian culture. And Let's hope it turns some people on to the King. The comedy isn't forced or juvenile. It's great set up and pay-off. A few good one liners and hilarious awkward scenarios. I can't praise the script enough."

"Over all, this movie will re-establish Disney as the leader and inventor of Film Animation. Once in a while another studio will come along with a hit... but Disney is the staple. They had a dark period there from Pocahontas till now... but They are back... and let's hope they stay there. I hope Treasure Planet maintains the momentum that Lilo will start. And if successful (or should I say "when") maybe Disney will take a note that a successful film can be an original idea, it doesn't need catchy new songs, it doesn't need big effects and big boobs... all it needs is a great story. Spend a little time Disney... get the script perfect before a pencil hits paper. And only give us one film per year... or one every other year. We'll wait... and when they arrive... we go in droves. Ever think that Lion Kings big return was due to the 2 years between that and Aladdin??? Ok.. I'm xxxching now... just enjoy it folks... it's one of those rare masterpieces that has something for everyone, and leaves you feeling great."

Sounds good, although AICN is always filled with Lies and Half Truths.

I just had the kind of thought that only Ei$ner© Fear® can generate.
If this movie is a hit, think of the potentail atrocities that could be wrecked upon the beloved Plynesian.

(AV if you have even the Vaguest of rumours along this line, please feal free to not disclose them. I don't think I could handle it. :) )

If even half of this review turns out to be true I'll still be very happy. Another reason why I remain very optmiistic is that I have yet to read a negative account of the final draft of this film dating back over the past year. The news when it does come out is always generally positive. AICN aside, I think that when you weigh all of the different sources that have come forward with information(Jim Hill, Animated News, etc) you can't help but have high hopes for L&S.

aw c'mon, a little bit of character craziness wouldn't hurt the old polynesian. and it might be an improvement in the enchanted tiki room. the "new owners" drive me crazy. maybe L&S could teach fritz and michael a little elvis. anything's better than "hot, hot, hot!"

Oh don't even suggest messing with the Poly....I'm still quite unhappy that all the flaming torches on the grounds near the pool were taken away when the new pool was built. The pool is great but the area loses something at night without the flames. Luckily they are still elsewhere on the grounds.

They can do what they like with the tiki room...they already messed it up once.

I'm looking forward to Lilo and Stitch. Perhaps this will be my dd's first "movie in a theater" experience...my ds's unfortunately was Hercules.

You mean, Mr. YoHo, you don’t want to hear about how the lobby will be re-themed to the Inter Galactic Court of Justice and how Elvis music will be piped into all of the rooms 24 hours a day?

One of the corporate reindeer these days in the later part of the Eisner Years is the called The Funding Game. The parks know that they have to constantly upgrade the park and to add new things. Corporate, on the other hand, is demanding that items be removed from the park and that they become nothing but marketing devices for more profitable Company endeavors.

One of the ways the parks play the game is to attempt a tie-in with the latest hot movie. It’s thought to be an easy capital expense approval, gives the park something new, and the budget can be padded enough to take care of all the maintenance and show problems a decade of non-maintenance has created. Disneyland has become the master of this with the ‘Tarzan Treehouse’ and the holiday makeover for ‘Haunted Mansion’.

The rumors are that Disneyland is trying this game to rebuild the ‘Enchanted Tiki Room’. The building is already falling apart, the sponsor let out a furious tirade against Disney, and the place is a favorite of WDI and D/L people. The hope was to get some budget, do the job in-house to avoid any corporate tinkering and get a nice attraction out of it. Of course, the plan was killed according to the latest rumors. More money than Paul wants to spend on non-Pooh related areas.

WDW is trying to get into the act with a ‘Lilo’ makeover for ‘Alien Encounter’. No one there really likes the attraction in the Magic Kingdom and this would be a good excuse to change the show. There’s no chance that ‘Tiki’ will be fixed, too much money was spent on the last redo.

AHHH, AHHH, AHHHH, my ears are BURNING AHHH.

AE always seems to draw a decent crowd whenever I've been at the MK. Does WDW not like it because of attendance issues or is it more of a MK mis-fit issue? I assume that being a newer attraction infrastructure decay is not an issue.

It is the only ride that I can remember not having the kids do when they were little, even though they were allowed to. Just knew they'd be waking up in the middle of the night. I can see where a Stich make-over could really soften things up to make it a family attraction. However, it seems like a pretty major overhaul would have to occur. Be interesting to see their ideas.

If AE had been based around the "Alien" creature as originally intended, and slotted into MGM would that have solved some of WDW concerns?

I'm also confused about AE. There's always a wait when we're down there, and it's an excellent "theater of the mind" experience. (Even if I think it's a little scary and ugly.) If they wanted to put L&S in Tomorrowland, they could replace COP and Timekeeper. (Maybe there are other plans for those spots. The only insider info I know is what I read here.)

I hope they rehab the Tiki Room in Dsineyland, but it would be a shame to change it. The courtyard with the animated tiki gods is truly charming.

Voice,
Your comments on the parks fits with my master plan perfectly. I think it is absolutely essential that there be a vital distinction between the media and the attractions portions of the company. Performance and one should not effect the other and vice-versa. Short of a spin off of Walt Disney Attractions into a separate company I think that the leadership at the parks (Mr. Weiss and Mr. Cockerell in WDW, and Miss Hariss at DL) should have much greater independce from Burbank. Burbank should provide a operating budget and a capital improvements budget each year and leave the rest up to the resort. But unfortunately you will all have to wait a few more years for me to gain enough power. (Boy do I feel like the emperor in Star Wars, plotting my takeover and rise to power)

Don't get too excited. I've had my plans in motion for quite some time. Soon the Company will be mine. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Yoho,
I have already tasked my Sith minions with your destuction. If you aren't careful I may send a dark Jedi or two your way.

You just Watch yourself or that CM in the Goofy suit may do more then Shake your hand.

Of course, I will be dolling out the Choice assignments and WDW Dictator is available. I claim only sole control of Imagineering.

Hmmmm, a tempting bargain. (I could simply turn on him in the end just like vader, Did I say that out loud. Durn thats the thing with the force, always thinking out loud.)

So far the first two promos have been hilarious. I hear there is a new one coming this month. We'll have to keep our eyes out for it. My kids love the Aladdin one!

Show/YoHo - Too late. The wheels are already in motion for my consolidation of power. Today, the Raidermatt family settled all family business...

I already have plans for a new land, called Raiderland. It will be themed to immerse the guest in a fantastical Oakland Raider tailgate party. The beauty is the landscaping will be that of a gigantic parking lot. Very easily maintained. Plenty of bonfires, face painting, costumes, that sort of thing. It'll have an 'Escape from New York' kind of feel. Just can't decide which park it should go in. Certainly, it will have enough "Magic" for the Magic Kingdom, but somehow Animal Kingdom seems more appropriate...

First, we’ll pretend we didn’t read any of that ‘Star Wars’ stuff…

The problem that WDW has with ‘Alien Encounter’ is that many feel it doesn’t fit the mood and the tone of the park. Almost every single time I’ve seen the show there’s been at least one child terrified beyond measure. Ask at City Hall how many complaints they get a day. And no, people don’t read the signs – this is DISNEY and every thing is good for kids.

On the budgeting, the parks had tremendous independence under Nuniz and others. That independence was basically thrashed by Pressler in an effort fund the rest of the Company. The parks are the cash machines, and Mr. Pressler looks better the more cash he feeds. With all the needy areas (Stores, Internet, ABC, Film) the demand for cash has become an addiction. The Company NEEDS huge margin from the parks.

The “freedom from Burbank” line was actually used as a justification for gutting WDI. The official line was that with WDI under the wings of the park, they’d be free from the restrictions and demands from Glendale and that WDI would be able to respond faster to changing needs. Of course, if you have a president that won’t let the parks actually build anything, there’s no reason for them to have a design company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter