First ride for a child new to amusement parks?

phoenixflight

Mouseketeer
I need a recommendation, please. What is a good first WDW ride for a 5 yo who has never been to any sort of amusement park before? Need to gauge what he can handle and move on from there. DH, DS and I will likely be spending our first day at Epcot, as that's where we have dinner ressies. (Though we did purchase the park hopper option if there's a really great starter ride in another park.)

TIA!

For a child that age who hasn't ever been to an amusement park I would start in the Magic Kingdom rather than Epcot. Also you will find that Disney is quite different that most amusement parks.

The Magic Kingdom has much more for a young child who hasn't ridden things before. Epcot is a bit more intense in my opinion.

I would start with the tame rides -- Cinderella's Carousel, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Aladdin, It's a Small World, etc.

For a child that age who hasn't ever been to an amusement park I would start in the Magic Kingdom rather than Epcot. Also you will find that Disney is quite different that most amusement parks.

The Magic Kingdom has much more for a young child who hasn't ridden things before. Epcot is a bit more intense in my opinion.

I would start with the tame rides -- Cinderella's Carousel, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Aladdin, It's a Small World, etc.

I agree, I would start in Fantasyland. I would also let him take the lead, if he sees something and wants to try it right away I would let him, just make sure that if it's something you can't see what it is (like POTC for example) you tell him outside what to expect (darkness, a boat) so he's sure that's what he wants to do.

I agree with pp's. Epcot really isn't a good choice because there's no good "first" ride. Spaceship Earth, The Land and The Seas are all tame, but are all very dark and that's not really a good introduction to rides. Magic Kingdom is definitely the way to go. Carousel would be the perfect first ride. He gets to sit on a horse, it doesn't physically leave the ground, and you can be right there standing with him (or sitting on another horse) if he needs you. From there, it's a short walk to go to the tea cups. Again, it doesn't leave the ground, but now adds some speed (you can control the spin to keep the motion down). Then walk right over to dumbo and now you can introduce something off the ground. Around the corner is IASW (which can just as easily be done right after the carousel). By this point 4 rides in, you'll be able to see what he likes and doesn't like and can figure out where to go to next.

I agree with pp's. Epcot really isn't a good choice because there's no good "first" ride. Spaceship Earth, The Land and The Seas are all tame, but are all very dark and that's not really a good introduction to rides. Magic Kingdom is definitely the way to go. Carousel would be the perfect first ride. He gets to sit on a horse, it doesn't physically leave the ground, and you can be right there standing with him (or sitting on another horse) if he needs you. From there, it's a short walk to go to the tea cups. Again, it doesn't leave the ground, but now adds some speed (you can control the spin to keep the motion down). Then walk right over to dumbo and now you can introduce something off the ground. Around the corner is IASW (which can just as easily be done right after the carousel). By this point 4 rides in, you'll be able to see what he likes and doesn't like and can figure out where to go to next.

Well. actually DS has been on and enjoyed a carousel in the mall before. Somehow, mentally, that didn't "count" to me. That, however, is all he's done before. Little guy is in for so many new experiences...

OKay I think it depends a lot on your child. Is your DS timid, does he like Disney movies - what movie/scene is his limit for 'scary' is dark an issue, water, noise, smell? it depends on the kid.

It also depends on how long you're going to be there and if you'll be going back to the first park - or if the first day is it for the park you're in.

At EPCOT our girls LOVE the Land, a tame boat ride, looking at veggies and fish. Nemo was too much for our almost 4 yr old last year, but the 2 yr old LOVED it. This year our 5 yr old will love NEmo - but last year Bruce in the movie scared her so she wasn't going on a ride where she might see him.

Spaceship earth is fun - but I think for the older kids b/c the younger ones don't 'get it' the fire scene there bothered our older DD - and thus our younger DD didn't like it either.

At MK the Carousel, dumbo, it's a small world, winnie the pooh are all good first rides - peter pan is dark, snow white can be scary with the dark and the witch.

Buzz Lightyear is a fav of our girls, as are the tea cups - we haven't taken them on Haunted Mansion, but this year they've requested it.

Before going we watch youtube videos of the rides so the scary ones might not be an issue. But it depends on the child.

This trip we'll go to HS first - figuring there's only a few rides there, but shows that we know they'll love. A gentle introduction with lots of time for breaks. Day 2 is AK again slower, early night - a few more easy rides and lots to look at - then we'll have a much better idea of what they can handle at MK since our 5 yr old wants to try all the 'big' rides this year. But I won't bring her on BTMRR or SM if she didn't like Star Tours (yes I know the fundamental ride is dif, but I'd rather wait to introduce the ride so the first experience is positive).

So I personally think EPCOT is a fine place to start. Oh and Mexico has a nice ride, but I'd start with the Land, Figment, the Seas, then Mexico for rides, but don't forget there's so much more than rides to entertain the kids - our girls really have a blast at inventions, and the little splash zones. They also enjoy the concerts, character meet & greets, and of course shopping (I"ve taught them well :rolleyes1 )

I would also recommend the Magic Kingdom rather than Epcot. Disney is a whole magic world and kids feel like in an different reality. It is unforgettable experience for the adults, as well.

OKay I think it depends a lot on your child. Is your DS timid, does he like Disney movies - what movie/scene is his limit for 'scary' is dark an issue, water, noise, smell? it depends on the kid.

It also depends on how long you're going to be there and if you'll be going back to the first park - or if the first day is it for the park you're in.

At EPCOT our girls LOVE the Land, a tame boat ride, looking at veggies and fish. Nemo was too much for our almost 4 yr old last year, but the 2 yr old LOVED it. This year our 5 yr old will love NEmo - but last year Bruce in the movie scared her so she wasn't going on a ride where she might see him.

Spaceship earth is fun - but I think for the older kids b/c the younger ones don't 'get it' the fire scene there bothered our older DD - and thus our younger DD didn't like it either.

At MK the Carousel, dumbo, it's a small world, winnie the pooh are all good first rides - peter pan is dark, snow white can be scary with the dark and the witch.

Buzz Lightyear is a fav of our girls, as are the tea cups - we haven't taken them on Haunted Mansion, but this year they've requested it.

Before going we watch youtube videos of the rides so the scary ones might not be an issue. But it depends on the child.

This trip we'll go to HS first - figuring there's only a few rides there, but shows that we know they'll love. A gentle introduction with lots of time for breaks. Day 2 is AK again slower, early night - a few more easy rides and lots to look at - then we'll have a much better idea of what they can handle at MK since our 5 yr old wants to try all the 'big' rides this year. But I won't bring her on BTMRR or SM if she didn't like Star Tours (yes I know the fundamental ride is dif, but I'd rather wait to introduce the ride so the first experience is positive).

So I personally think EPCOT is a fine place to start. Oh and Mexico has a nice ride, but I'd start with the Land, Figment, the Seas, then Mexico for rides, but don't forget there's so much more than rides to entertain the kids - our girls really have a blast at inventions, and the little splash zones. They also enjoy the concerts, character meet & greets, and of course shopping (I"ve taught them well :rolleyes1 )

DS' only problem that I am aware of from the get go is the dark. He wants me to leave the hall light on outside his room at night. He will not admit to being afraid of the dark, per se, but will tell me it is "too dark" if I turn that light out before he's well and truly asleep. For the rest, I'm just going to have to get a feel for it in real time. DS insists, for instance, even having been shown it on Youtube, that he wants to go on Space Mountain (and Mission Space) with me and will not be afraid. He's tall enough. Guess we'll just wait and see and take him if he handles, say, Goofy's Barnstormer and BTMR well.

DS' only problem that I am aware of from the get go is the dark. He wants me to leave the hall light on outside his room at night. He will not admit to being afraid of the dark, per se, but will tell me it is "too dark" if I turn that light out before he's well and truly asleep. For the rest, I'm just going to have to get a feel for it in real time. DS insists, for instance, even having been shown it on Youtube, that he wants to go on Space Mountain (and Mission Space) with me and will not be afraid. He's tall enough. Guess we'll just wait and see and take him if he handles, say, Goofy's Barnstormer and BTMR well.

Our DD intends to go on Dinosaur! Yikes I'm really not sure about THAT idea:scared1: lol but she insists she's brave and fearless (but won't meet Lady Tremaine at 1900 Park Fare!) :rotfl:

If dark is the only issue then I'd say go for it - but so far his experiences have been very mild - at Disney it's not a book, or a story, or a show - it's an experience. So Space Mountain is actually pretty tame b/c it's ONLY the dark and movement, but something like Bugs Life is dark, with sounds, bugs that jump out at you and try to kill you:eek: last year we had some pretty brave kids with us - and THAT show just about did the rest of the trip in. For EPCOT, I'd still say to start with those rides, and move on from there. Maelstrom is a bit darker and a bit scarier, but still pretty mild and it might give you an idea of how he'll do the rest of the trip - though BTMR, SM, and SpM are very different experiences as far as the style of thrill.

Part of the question would be - how well do you know the rides? And compare that to what you know of your son. You always have the option of trying one, and then leaving the rest for a different trip if the first is too much - or if he's like my DD he might realize each ride is different and willow ant to try each one even if the first terrifies the ... outta him.

Oh and if he isn't afraid of the dark, but just likes the light on, then he'll probably be okay - my DD's the same - but rides and shows are completely different than the safe surroundings of her bed at home :rotfl2: I don't get it, but it's true. lol

I need a recommendation, please. What is a good first WDW ride for a 5 yo who has never been to any sort of amusement park before? Need to gauge what he can handle and move on from there. DH, DS and I will likely be spending our first day at Epcot, as that's where we have dinner ressies. (Though we did purchase the park hopper option if there's a really great starter ride in another park.)

TIA!

At Epcot, I'd probably do the Grand Fiesta Tour first. Boat ride, no splashes, not too dark. Donald Duck is in it (presumably familiar to your child).

Honestly though, I'd start with MK. Train ride first.

I think overall Small World is an amazing first ride that is so "Disney".

If you prefer Epcot, I would suggest starting with Talk with Crush, not really a ride, but very fun nonetheless.

Hi there,

Our first disney day last year was Epcot. DD3.5 at the time was also hesitant of rides up until that point.

We first did soarin' mostly because we didn't want to deal with the lines later. She didn't love it, but didn't freak out either. Then we did the land, which is a great first ride, a slow boat ride. Then we went on nemo, which was also a slow ride. Figment of your imagination is slow, but it did have a few dark parts. The kids didn't mind it, but I remember thinking some kids might freak out on it! DD3.5 was too short for mission space, but older DD went on it. Then we did test track. DD3.5 liked the ride, but the fast outside part was a bit much for her so she didn't want to go again. Then we did the mexico donald duck boat ride and malestrom that they both liked. For some reason DD3.5 was really worried that spaceship earth would be scary, not sure why, but after we went on it, it was her favorite ride!

Anyways, there is lots of rides in epcot that aren't scary! If you are really unsure, I would start with the Land maybe, spaceship earth is another good option, or nemo.

In EPCOT I would start with the land, then nemo and then figment (figment is a little loud and startling in a couple spots). Strting Mexico is fine if you're not starting until 11 am when ws opens, but otherwise i wouldn't wait.

I tried to get DH to weigh in on this issue (which park to start with for our little guy) and he just very sweetly told me that I had been the major planner for this trip. I'd been planning it for 2 or 3 months, and he was sure I knew best. He said he'd go with whatever I decided. (Also said if I hadn't figured it out by this point, I wasn't going to come up with a mythical "best" answer.)

Very sweet of DH, but geez--no pressure! I guess that's what I get for naturally being the Disney planning sort of type.;)

My six year old brother's first amusement park was Epcot- and our first ride was Soarin'. It was great! Not a thrill ride, but more of an experience. My brother loved it. If you stay with Epcot, try Soarin' first, or the Land, which we also tried which was pretty tame.

I actually like starting with Epcot and found it less overwhelming. My youngest has some sensory quirks and Epcot just has a more relaxing tone than MK to us. The walkways are much easier to get around and it handles crowds better. We were at MK at a day with 10 minute waits or less and it was still hard to navigate the crowds at times. We've never had that issue with Epcot, even on much busier days. (Though, we did avoid World Showcase when we were there on a Sat during F&W. Future World was very managable however).

I would not suggest Nemo since we just did that as our 2.5 year old's first Disney ride since he wanted to do Nemo but I had forgotton that there was some scary stuff in that. Ooops. (We actually started at Test Track for the older two so we let the youngest pick the next ride). I'd do Living with the Land and pull a fastpass for Soarin while you're over there. You'd want to work in best starting ride with an efficient touring plan.

ODS first real ride was Spiderman over at IOA at barely 3 years old. Not the best choice, but we dealt with it fine. YDS getting scared with Nemo also wasn't our best choice, but we hadn't lost his trust luckily. We did Turtle Talk right after and that helped smooth it out. DD's first ride, not counting when she only 7 months old, was actually Test Track at 3.5 years old and she absolutely loved it. Both of my kids absolutely love Test Track. I'd suggest pulling fastpasses for TT for later in the day if he feels like he wants to do it. Spaceship Earth is really tame. The line doesn't get too long though so I'd save it for a little later in the morning. My 2.5 year old loved Spaceship Earth.

We took our kids to Six Flags this last June and it was a flop with our younger two, ages 2 and 5. Our 5 year old, who had boldly gone on Tower of Terror at 3.5 years old, was scared to do Six Flags rides. Luckily, that wasn't the case at Disney. She loved Mission Space Green too - though thats' another one I wouldn't start with. Our 2 year old would freak out on little mall rides. At Six Flags, they had several kiddie rides - and had to stop several kiddie rides due to my youngest crying on the rides. So, I was very nervous about how he would handle the rides. He surprised me.

One rule I do is to never make my kids do any ride that has a height limit. (Had to force the oldest boy on Little Mermaid or to watch Beauty and the Beast, but that's different!) In doing so, the kids feel like they have control. That really helps. I didn't make my daughter do ToT at 3.5 years old. She wanted to try it. She didn't like it, but since it was her choice, she got over it well. She didn't want to do EE on this trip at 5, so she didn't. She wanted Space Mountain, but I was a little uncertain about her being able to handle it due to the jerkiness. Half way through the ride, she started crying and was upset. When we stopped, I told her she could wait with me while daddy went with the oldest since we did child swap - and she told me she wanted to do it again now that she knew about the part she didn't like! Kids can surprise you. Most 5 year olds would be able to know what they could and could not handle - and will be able to get over choosing a ride that was too intense. Just be honest with your child. Tell him if a ride might be jerky or dark. Tell him if he might get splashed. If there was any water involved at all, my 5 year old needed me to ask the CM if she would get wet. She needed the confirmation from a CM, so that's what we did. If you give him some control, it will likely go well.

Don't go to Epcot your first day, go to Magic Kingdom.

As for first ride, it depends on how the child handles heights. If he is fine with it, Dumbo. If not, Winnie the Pooh.

Actually, I think Epcot is a great park for a first day! There is so much to do without riding any rides that you can slowly build up his "theme park tolerance level" over the course of the day. Are you going to Epcot another time during your trip - if so, you could ride the "thrill" rides the second day, if needed.

Great places to start:
Rides: The Land ride - gentle and tame enough for babies, not scary content, but kids love it
The boat ride in Mexico

Characters: The Character Connection is great place to meet the fab 5 and there are tons of characters in World Showcase; Epcot is our favorite place to meet the characters

Duffy Bear or Passport Book at the kidcot stops in WS

Interactive Fountains if is is hot

Innoventions

Exploring the Marine Life and/ or seeing Turtle Talk with Crush at the Seas

***I would stay away from Maelstrom, Journey into Imagination, Mission Space, Soarin, Test Track, Spaceship Earth and the Seas initially. Once you know his tolerance level, then you can go from there. My DD loved all of those at age 5, but I remember that it took her about a half a day on one of our trips to build up her bravery.
***Also, Disney is a master at making things seem real. Remember to be upfront, honest and matter of fact. Once kids realize that they will be safe no matter what, they are much more open to trying new rides. If you act nervous, he will pick up on that.
***Gather Fast Passes throughout the day, so that you can use them at the end of the day if he is ready. We did this with DD and Space Mountain - we got the FP's at 9 in the morning, by about 7 that evening she was ready for her first ride.

Lastly, if you make a mistake in judgement, don't let it ruin the trip. I remember the first time we took our boys (aged 5 and 2) and went to DHS. We went on the Great Movie Ride. DS2 was sitting with me and other family members and DS5 was sitting with DH and his uncle. Well, it was my DH and BIL's first time to WDW and they were so enthralled that they weren't paying attention to DS5. We get to where the car is "hijacked" by the gangster with the gun and I happen to look over and DS5 is as white as a sheet! The poor thing thought we were really being kidnapped by someone with a real gun! I quickly made sure to take him to some nonfrightening things and in a couple hours he was laughing about it and it has become a favorite story of his. :thumbsup2

FWIW When we took my DS last year, he also was afraid of the dark.
If you do go to MK first, I would NOT start with Peter Pan - it's darker than you think. Poor DS cried the entire time, and would not go on any other "inside" rides for the next 3 days.
What did help though was getting him a small keychain with a little led on it. He could press it whenever he wanted, so he felt more in control, but it wasn't enough light to disrupt anyone else's experience.
Jungle Cruise and flying carpets were his favorites. :) Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter