• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First solo trip in February

lowe@massed.net

Mouseketeer
Well, I've done it! I'll be taking my first solo trip to the World in February. I have gone 3 times previously with my husband and 3 times before that with both my husband and son. This time I felt that I would REALLY need the break from New England winter, but DH could not take the time off. So - after reading lots of solo trip reports on this board, I decided to go for it.

I'd love to hear from other married, 50ish women who have gone to WDW solo. I'm still a little nervous about eating in a sit-down restaurant alone, although not so much so that I won't give it a try. I'm mostly really excited about the idea of having 6 days to myself!

I'll be staying at the BWV in a studio. Any tips for fun things to do on my own?
Kathy in MA

Kathy, you're going to have a great time. I'm 50ish (widowed, not married) and have enjoyed several solo trips. If you enjoy attractions like MS and TT, you'll appreciate the singles lines. For dining, it's very relaxing to have a nice meal in a sit-down restaurant. You can always strike up conversations with CMs and other guests in attraction lines. I'm sure you'll get some great advice on this board.

hi Kathy,
i am 40ish (widowed in 2002) and took my 1st solo trip in april/03.i was very nervous too, i had never travelled anywhere solo before. i had a wonderful time though. i went to ltt character meal on my 1st night there and felt very awkward...UNTIL the characters started coming around :D both goofy and dale took turns sitting across from me and "sharing" my meal, goofy would not leave until the waitress took a picture of me kissing his nose;) a woman at a table with children told me how jealous she was of all the attention i was getting:p there are so many possibilities for you to explore...do whatever you choose to do:D i would suggest a tour, the backstage magic tour was great. other highlights of my trip were going to cirque de soliel, having my first massage , and eating at the CG while watching the fireworks at MK. i met some really nice people while waiting for Spectomagic, illuminations and fantasmic. you are really going to enjoy this trip:D
kathe

Hi, Kathy!
I'm also 50ish, been solo 5X, my 6th solo trip in December. Although I'm married, DH isn't nearly the Disney nut I am, once a year is plenty for him to Disney, and since I love Xmas stuff and he could care less, we go in May or June, then I go solo around the Xmas season. Matter of fact, my first solo trip was a surprise gift from my family-you should have seen the tears when I got that!
A studio, to me, is perfect for a solo trip. Like your own little apartment. Nothing like sitting on the couch with your morning coffee, feet up, watching the "Zip-a-dee-doo-da" tip for the day.
I've got just one suggestion about sit-down dining. Took me many trips to get comfortable doing this alone. Now I bring a little notebook with me. Spend the time jotting down notes on where I've been, where I'm going, what I've eaten, etc. And I buy the notebook before the trip so that I also have written all my PS #s and other relevant info that I need. Actually, I'm going out to buy the notebook this week and start putting info in it. Can't wait!
Believe me, you'll love it!

Originally posted by KarenNY
If you enjoy attractions like MS and TT, you'll appreciate the singles lines. For dining, it's very relaxing to have a nice meal in a sit-down restaurant. You can always strike up conversations with CMs and other guests in attraction lines. I'm sure you'll get some great advice on this board.

Thanks Karen. I'm looking forward to using the single-riders lines and can't wait to try MS! TT doesn't do much for me, but if I can get on quickly using the single rider's line, well why not! I can just picture myself strolling around EPCOT, people watching and just going where the spirit moves me. I've been to the World enough times that I don't feel I have rush to get "everything" in. I'm going to try to see as many of the shows in the parks as I can. DH and I haven't managed to fit too many in on past trips.
Kathy

Originally posted by katypop
i went to ltt character meal on my 1st night there and felt very awkward...UNTIL the characters started coming around :D

Hi Kathe,
Hmmm....I'm not sure that I'm unihibited enough to enjoy a character meal on my own, but maybe I'll work up my courage as the week goes on!

i would suggest a tour, the backstage magic tour was great.

DH and I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour the first time we vacationed at WDW without our son. It was really great and I wouldn't hesitate to do a tour again. Is the Backstage Magic tour the one that goes to all of the parks? That sounds like something I would enjoy

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm sure I won't have any problem finding things to do!
Kathy

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
Hi, Kathy!
Hi Simba's Mom! I've been lurking on this board for awhile and reading your posts has helped convince me that solo is the way to go! DH enjoys an occasional trip to WDW, but he thinks that every-other year is often enough. So since we have a big vacation planned to the Pacific Northwest next summer when our son graduates from college, there was no way he was going to take extra time off for a trip to WDW when we went "just last year".

A studio, to me, is perfect for a solo trip. Like your own little apartment. Nothing like sitting on the couch with your morning coffee, feet up, watching the "Zip-a-dee-doo-da" tip for the day.

Last year, DH and I stayed in a BCV studio and loved it! I loved having the little kitchenette to make coffee and store snacks and water. I was able to rent DVC points from the same person again this year. Wait a deal that is!

Now I bring a little notebook with me. Spend the time jotting down notes on where I've been, where I'm going, what I've eaten, etc.

This is a great idea. I like to do a photo-journal of our trips and enjoy re-reading them every so often when I need a Disney fix.

Believe me, you'll love it!
I'm sure I will! Now I really can't wait to go!!!
Thanks!
Kathy

kathy,
the backstage magic tour takes in 3 parks, epcot, mgm and mk and takes 7 hrs. you do not need to use a day on your park pass to do this, if you have an ap you can save 15%. it is expensive but i really enjoyed it. it was nice to be with a group for part of my solo stay, and the lunch at mama melrose's was delicious. it was served family style and there were so many dishes to sample.hope this helps.:D
kathe

By all means Kathy, do the Backstage Tour. I did this a couple of years ago on my solo trip and it was great!

I am 45 and married. My DH like Simba's Mom (must be something in the Texas water), is not a Disney enthusiast. He will come for the weekend and visit, but then go home and leave the the rest of the week to be by myself. I just love it! :lovestruc

You don't have to rush getting up. You don't have to worry what time you should be in bed. You can just sit and "be" and not worry about making someone happy.

Yea, you will have a wonderful time. Like you said, you know the world so well already, it should be like being at home. Take your time, soak it all in. Talk to as many people as possible. Everyone has a story and they are all so fascinating. You certainly couldn't be anywhere safer!

:wave2:

Thanks Nink! It seems like there are lots of not-so-enthusiastic DH's out there! :p

I told my parents about my solo trip and at first they seemed stunned, but I think they got it after I explained that this was a BETTER thing than DH being resentful because I pressured him into going, or me being disappointed because he wouldn't go.

Then, in a moment of temporary insanity, I invited my parents to come along. They are thinking it over. My dad has very limited sight due to macular digeneration, minor dementia, and very poor balance and mobility resulting from a back injury. He will need to be pushed around in a wheelchair and there will be much that he can not do. My mother is in great health for a 77-year old, but I'm afraid that dealing with my dad will wear both of us out. Selfishly, I'm hoping that they decide not to come because now I realize that my relaxing, do-anything-I want, when-I want week will be anything BUT. I may be looking for tips on vacationing in the World with elderly parents next. Stay tuned! :(
Kathy

kathy, Since they were stunned when you first told them, and now you've invited them - they may think you are regretting going alone. Wow, make sure they don't say "yes" just to "save" you from a trip alone!

If your parents do decide to come, is their any chance you could negotiate a day to yourself? If your parents are in New England also, they may just be glad to get to a relatively warm climate, and enjoy relaxing a day.

Pick the park that would be most exhausting for them, and then let them know that you don't mind going alone that day.

Have they been to Disney, and have a good idea of the physical demands it can take?

Also - what you said about not dragging along a DH who resents being there works the opposite way, too. You won't be a very good daughter if you get all stressed with them there. Even if you think you are hiding it from them, I bet they will pick up on it.

I hope your trip works out for the best for all. Please keep us posted!

Kes

Originally posted by kestral
kathy, Since they were stunned when you first told them, and now you've invited them - they may think you are regretting going alone. Wow, make sure they don't say "yes" just to "save" you from a trip alone!

Kes,
You are indeed a very wise woman! I called Mum today to make sure they weren't thinking of going just because I would be alone, but fortunately that wasn't the case. They had decided not to go, given my dad's physical limitations and lack of interest in WDW. It just wouldn't be worth it for them.

So, WHEW! I'm back to going solo and SO relieved!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
Kathy

Gee, thanks - we all have our "wise" days and our "wise crack" days!

WHen are you going in February? I may actually be there in February too - not exactly alone, hubby has an Orlando convention. Usually means I get to do at least one park by myself - and love it!

Kes

ummm... I usually take my 21 DS and 23 DD ..... they love it and they are lots of fun....its awesome.... that they still love to go with their mom but its not the same....

Originally posted by kestral
WHen are you going in February? I may actually be there in February too - not exactly alone, hubby has an Orlando convention. Usually means I get to do at least one park by myself - and love it!

Kes

I'll be there Feb. 15-20 - President's Week. That's winter vacation for schools in Massachusetts. Since I'm a teacher, that's when I go!
Kathy

Kathy,
The Charactor meals are alot of fun solo. All my trips to WDW have been solo.
I've recently moved to Florida so I get to the parks as much as I can. I went on my birthday, and Tigger and Pooh were great at the Crystal Palace. Another favorite place to eat in the MK is at Cinderella's. The servers are great with a solo diner and you get a window seat.
If you decide you want a little company, let me know. I'm always up for a visit. Another thing that's fun, is a Pal Mickey, he cracks me up wandering around the parks, and I've found stuff I might not have discovered having him around.
Have a great time.
Lynn

Originally posted by Moosysmom
Kathy,
Another favorite place to eat in the MK is at Cinderella's. The servers are great with a solo diner and you get a window seat.

How about CRT for dinner without the characters? Do you think I'd still get a window seat? I'm wondering how this would be if I could time it to coincide with the fireworks?

Originally posted by Moosysmom
Another thing that's fun, is a Pal Mickey, he cracks me up wandering around the parks, and I've found stuff I might not have discovered having him around.

Oh, I like this idea! Thanks so much for your suggestions, Lynn! Maybe we can hook up while I'm there. Let's stay in touch!

Second CRT. Although I'm not much into solo dining sit-down (usually stick to counter-serve), CRT is the only place I've eaten solo twice! Both times for lunch, table #16 (also, the only time I've ever written down a table location-it was perfect!). Chicken Caesar Salad both times (I'm such a creature of habit), but different desserts. Each time I went with the server's recommendation for dessert, and since they were different servers, I got different desserts. Once a chocolate cake, once an apple tart. Never met a dessert there I didn't like!

Kathy,
I have only seen Cinderella downstairs, not upstairs, and it is possible to get a seat during the fireworks, be sure to get Priority Seating, otherwise it is impossible to get a table there. I haven't been to the new fireworks show "Wishes" yet, but I saw it on TV and can't wait.
My days off are Thursday, Friday and Saturday, so let me know, I'm always up for a trip over to Disney.
Lynn

I've always wanted to eat at CRT, but have never made it so far. We had a PS for breakfast one year when my son was still young enough to go without protest, but a major nor'easter delayed us for two days and we missed it. Now that I'm going solo, I'd like to try it, but I think I'll be more comfortable without the characters. If I can score a window table during the fireworks, that would be ideal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter