First Solo Trip. Thoughts on Hotel?

I'm going on my first solo trip (finally, after 30 trips), and got the Hotwire deal (hot deal) at the Dolphin, $79/night for a king bed room plus resort fee of $32/night. I love the Epcot area, and the Swan and Dolphin are so much nicer than Disney resorts.

Only thing is I have to take a cab (not wanting a car probably) to the resort. I'll Uber back.

I like to be in a nice hotel alone, but honestly Pop is fine too. I don't think there is a bad choice!

Hello,
How far out is that available? I love Priceline and Hotwire, but never thought of using them for Disney. I'm traveling in October.

are you flying - then might still stay at a WDW resorts because of DME. the dolphin or swam does not have it, only WDW resorts.

are you flying - then might still stay at a WDW resorts because of DME. the dolphin or swam does not have it, only WDW resorts.
An Uber would be well worth the charge if I could get a much better located resort for less than what I am paying for a Value. Or I could do a split stay, get DME one way.

Hello,
How far out is that available? I love Priceline and Hotwire, but never thought of using them for Disney. I'm traveling in October.

Not sure, but if you're interested, read the last 15 or so pages on the Swan and Dolphin (resort info) thread. There is very detailed instructions on what to look for to the the correct resort (since it's blind bidding on Hotwire). Has to do with amenities, resort fee, and number of reviews on tripadvisor. That way you know you're 95% likely getting the Swan or Dolphin! I love both of them, but now they're renovated it will be better (they really needed it!).

You know you can Uber or Lyft from the airport now? Just checking.

I have taken solo trips at Coronado, Pop, and All Star sports (and currently offsite at Flamingo crossing with a car).

Yes but not sure about where to meet. I may do more research on it! I know there is an area where you meet them, just hadn't looked as far.

Thank you!

I've done many solo trips and haven't had real issues with any of the hotels I've chosen (both deluxe and moderate). If you wish to be close to Disney Springs, I would go with POFQ and take the boat. I think of the resorts you listed, WL would have the best food options--love Artist Point and the new grill by the water front (can't remember the name just now). Also, you can take the boat to CR and monorail from there to Poly and GF for all of their food options. Best bar option would also be WL IMO, but better would be take the boat to CR and go to the ones there. CSR might also be good for bar scene in that they cater to the conference crowd. Have fun in September--just remember to keep cool with plenty of ice cold beer/cocktails!

I've done many solo trips and haven't had real issues with any of the hotels I've chosen

Actually, that's true in my case also. Although POR was my favorite pre-DVC, I've stayed at hotels in all categories and had no trouble-All Star Music, All-Star Sports, POR, SSR, BCV, AKL, AKV-Kidani, BWV.

Not sure, but if you're interested, read the last 15 or so pages on the Swan and Dolphin (resort info) thread. There is very detailed instructions on what to look for to the the correct resort (since it's blind bidding on Hotwire). Has to do with amenities, resort fee, and number of reviews on tripadvisor. That way you know you're 95% likely getting the Swan or Dolphin! I love both of them, but now they're renovated it will be better (they really needed it!).
Thank you so much!

I would probably go for POR or WL if it was me. When I'm solo I like to be able to easily get back to my hotel, or be able to get from my hotel to something fun. So I like BC/YC, but I'm thinking of doing PO for my next trip to take advantage of the boat to Disney Springs & the live music they have there. For WL, I bet it would be really nice to be so close to MK!

I would probably go for POR or WL if it was me. When I'm solo I like to be able to easily get back to my hotel, or be able to get from my hotel to something fun. So I like BC/YC, but I'm thinking of doing PO for my next trip to take advantage of the boat to Disney Springs & the live music they have there. For WL, I bet it would be really nice to be so close to MK!

Just came back from POFQ and loved it. The boat was really convenient for DS.

I just added a night at Coronado Springs to my trip the night before my stay at the WL. I got too good of a deal to pass up. It's a Sunday so I made reservations for brunch at Cali Grill and will spend the night in Disney Springs. I originally felt guilty about taking a vacation without the family but I'm really starting to look forward to this. That doesn't make me a bad person does it??? ;-)

I originally felt guilty about taking a vacation without the family but I'm really starting to look forward to this. That doesn't make me a bad person does it??? ;-)

No, that does NOT make you a bad person at all. It means you are making yourself a priority, which we need to do from time to time when we have a family.

If you take care of yourself, you will be be better for everyone else!

When my kids were very young, I sometimes would take a weekend for myself and go to a nice hotel (one of our local Ritz-Carltons), and shop, eat, order room service, watch movies, etc.... I just needed a break (husband worked super long hours, so I needed it very badly). Now that they're older, we enjoy going away just us two!

No, that does NOT make you a bad person at all. It means you are making yourself a priority, which we need to do from time to time when we have a family.

If you take care of yourself, you will be be better for everyone else!

When my kids were very young, I sometimes would take a weekend for myself and go to a nice hotel (one of our local Ritz-Carltons), and shop, eat, order room service, watch movies, etc.... I just needed a break (husband worked super long hours, so I needed it very badly). Now that they're older, we enjoy going away just us two!

Sounds like you did and are currently doing it right!

I don't feel too guilty. My wife just went away to NYC for a weekend for her 50th birthday with a bunch of friends and we just got back 8 days ago from our latest Disney Trip. My 8 year old had been to Disney 6 times so I don't feel too bad for her. Besides I'll be hooking up with them in Clearwater later that week. We got a place there 6 years ago and it allows us to head down 3 or 4 times a year.

Cramden, yes, you have a healthy relationship!

I love my husband and my kids. I also need some time alone. I haven't taken as much as I probably needed to over the years though. It's hard to do so. I encouraged my husband to visit friends back from where we grew up, and he has a few times.

My 50th I went with my sister and friend to Mexico to a very, very exclusive resort for a few days. It was SO amazing that 9 months later when my father died, I booked my husband and me to go there. I created a monster (ha ha), as he and I went again 2 months later, and now we're going again 4 months later again in a few weeks. But I digress (had a cocktail).....

My first solo trip was Wilderness Lodge and it was marvelous. The hotel is a wonder, the boats are honestly almost as good as a monorail (take the boat to Contemporary, it starts early!) and Geyser Point has the best burger I've ever eaten. (and you can watch the water pageant from right there.)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm looking forward to this solo trip a bit too much. My wife keeps asking why I'm smiling at my computer.

I'm making my first Solo trip this September. I'm currently looking at Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside and the Wilderness Lodge for my home base. Does anyone feel one of these would be better for a Solo Traveler? My main considerations are on site options for restaurants/bars and proximity or efficient transportation to the parks and to Disney Springs.

I've previously stayed at AKL, Pop, BC, YC, Poly, POFQ and FW Cabins and enjoyed all but Pop.

Thanks!
I’m staying in Jambo House this time, but my last solo trip I didn’t want to use up the family points, so I stayed at POFQ — it’s nice and compact with a good bus system and the boat to Disney Springs was steps from my room. I would do it again if I weren’t staying in my home resort.

I'm going on my first solo trip (finally, after 30 trips), and got the Hotwire deal (hot deal) at the Dolphin, $79/night for a king bed room plus resort fee of $32/night. I love the Epcot area, and the Swan and Dolphin are so much nicer than Disney resorts.

Only thing is I have to take a cab (not wanting a car probably) to the resort. I'll Uber back.

I like to be in a nice hotel alone, but honestly Pop is fine too. I don't think there is a bad choice!
Did they stop providing Disney shuttle service to Swan/Dolphin? When we stayed there a few years back we had shuttle service to the park ... or are you talking about transport from the airport ...

Did they stop providing Disney shuttle service to Swan/Dolphin? When we stayed there a few years back we had shuttle service to the park ... or are you talking about transport from the airport ...

Oops I didn't mention, I meant the airport.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up booking the Wilderness Lodge. I've visited before on a Pub Crawl and enjoyed Geyser Point and the Territory Lounge. I think with those options and the Monorail Resorts a quick boat ride away I should be able to find enough to do at night after the Parks.

This site has every situation covered. It really is amazing!

Has to be one of my favorite resorts. I love the rustic feel...and yes, lots to do nearby! DISNEY Springs has a new bar called The Edison. I highly recommend it!

(I’m a lucky spoiled local)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter