First time at DisneyLand Grand Californian or Disney Land hotel?

Salf777

Mouseketeer
Help
pricing my first trip to Disney Land for next year and pricing out hotels. The difference between the Grand Californian and Disney Land hotel is only about $250. I don’t mind paying the extra money but not sure what to do I have heard the Disney Land hotel is classic Disney but the Grand Californian is the flagship hotel?
I believe the Disney Land hotel has the monorail is that a big advantage ?
I don’t know much about Disney Land so looking for thoughts and ideas from the pros here
also does Disney Land offer VIP tours?
Thanks

There are pros and cons to both. Are you a WDW person-- or are you new to Disney? If you are a WDW person, GC is basically a scaled down version of the Wilderness Lodge. It is beautiful- but since we have stayed at WL, we like someplace different at DLR, so we do DLH. GC has a park entrance directly into California Adventure and also is a closer walk to Disneyland. GC's rooms are smaller than DLH. DLH is a classic feel and it has Trader Sams on property if that it something you are interested in. DH usually stops in on our way back from the parks at night and grabs us drinks to take back to the room. DLH is a little farther walk to the parks, but really not that bad. You can't go wrong with either resort. They are both really great.

There are pros and cons to both. Are you a WDW person-- or are you new to Disney? If you are a WDW person, GC is basically a scaled down version of the Wilderness Lodge. It is beautiful- but since we have stayed at WL, we like someplace different at DLR, so we do DLH. GC has a park entrance directly into California Adventure and also is a closer walk to Disneyland. GC's rooms are smaller than DLH. DLH is a classic feel and it has Trader Sams on property if that it something you are interested in. DH usually stops in on our way back from the parks at night and grabs us drinks to take back to the room. DLH is a little farther walk to the parks, but really not that bad. You can't go wrong with either resort. They are both really great.
We are Disney World people and DVC and own at Grand Floridan and Bay Lake Tower. We enjoy lobbies and sitting and relaxing and being in the Disney bubble. I’m thinking I like the closer walks.

We are Disney World people and DVC and own at Grand Floridan and Bay Lake Tower. We enjoy lobbies and sitting and relaxing and being in the Disney bubble. I’m thinking I like the closer walks.

Sounds like the Grand Cal to me. Sometimes we stop in the lobby even on trips where we're not staying there. Great place to people watch, and you can get drinks from the bar. And it's definitely a much shorter walk.

As someone who just stayed in the Disneyland Hotel for the first time after previously only having stayed at GCH multiple times, next time I go...

...I would like to stay in DLH again. Me, personally. I just loved the feeling of being in a DISNEY hotel with all the park references and Mickey touches. I don't think we have anything like that in WDW (where I hail from) so it really did feel different and special.

I, however, may not be able to convince my friends of the same as they have not been priced that far apart so, like you, they will definitely find the $250 to be worth the difference to save on walking and be closer to the parks.

Oh gosh, based on your criteria...sounds like the GCH all the way. Beautiful lobby...we love to grab a glass of wine, sit and listen to piano player and people watch. The service is great. Most impeccable at the Napa Rose with Joe and Ryland and the Craftsman Bar with Lisette and Erick. They are the best!! Only hotel entrance direct entrance into a park, DCA.

FYI: Love the Grand Floridian. Our fav place to stay at WDW. And, wow the club level. Swoon!

Based on what you described, Grand Californian, no question. The lobby area is stunning and you can easily relax there, people watch, listen to the piano, etc. The exprience will only get better as more and more things open up post-COVID, like the bar. For only a $250 difference, it's worth it.

Well to put it in perspective, I think the walk from the Disneyland Hotel to the park gates of DL or CA, is about the same distance as the walk from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom gates. It isn't far.

However, if you like to sit in the Lobby and you have been to and like WL at WDW--- you will like GC-- the lobby is beautiful.

Either GC or DLH will give you the Disney Bubble feel. The walk from DLH to the park gates is through DTD. You never leave Disney property. Security for DTD and the parks, is right outside DLH.

If you want to ride the monorail, it is in DTD, but closer to DLH. We consider it more of a ride, than transportation like it is at WDW. If you are at the GC, I don't think there would be a reason to backtrack and ride it unless you are doing it for fun. To go to DL, you scan your ticket in at DTD at the monorail station gate, and then it takes you to the back of Tomorrowland. It isn't like WDW where you get off outside the parks. There is one stop and that is Tomorrowland. Occasionally if we are walking by from the DLH on our way to the parks and there is no line and we know we want to head somewhere like Nemo (not currently open) or Small World, or just want to skip the front gate lines, we will jump on. Every now and then if we are in the back area of DL we will take it back to DLH-- but it is usually more trouble to walk all the way back to the Monorail station and wait for one, than to just go ahead and walk back to DLH from the parks.

Last edited:
Another vote for Grand Californian. I kind of like everything about it over the DLH. Rooms feel more luxurious, pool area is more relaxing, I think all or almost all rooms have balconies, extremely close to the parks, I prefer the restaurants at GC over DLH.

I’ve stayed at both, too. If location is more important to you, GCH all the way. That theme park entrance is golden. If theming is more important to you, then Disneyland Hotel. The headboards are magical, but I’d pick VGC due to its location.

Help
pricing my first trip to Disney Land for next year and pricing out hotels. The difference between the Grand Californian and Disney Land hotel is only about $250. I don’t mind paying the extra money but not sure what to do I have heard the Disney Land hotel is classic Disney but the Grand Californian is the flagship hotel?
I don’t know much about Disney Land so looking for thoughts and ideas from the pros here
Thanks

We love the DLH! The headboards were magical and I slept better there than almost any other hotel. The beds were very comfortable. We used the monorail alot and some of our best mornings were when we had early entry and used the monorail. We were able to do so many rides. I'm not sure when early entry is coming back, though. The pools and restaurants are very nice at DLH, too.

The difference between the Grand Californian and Disney Land hotel is only about $250.
If the money isn't an issue, I would choose the Grand based on location/convenience.
Disney Land hotel is classic Disney but the Grand Californian is the flagship hotel?
Disneyland hotel is both classic Disney and the flagship hotel. The Grand is the newest hotel onsite.
The monorail is a little walk from the hotel and it is not always running. I would never book the DLH with the intent to ride the monorail to the park. It would be a nice bonus if it was running, but you cannot count on it. There are times when the line is a longer wait than just walking to the park.
Yes, make sure you book as far in advance as you can. They will either meet you at the hotel or at the theme park. Those who've done both prefer to meet in the park because meeting at the hotel takes away about 20 minutes of the tour time.

Grand: Better food and can walk directly into and out of DCA. You can still eat there if staying at DLH though.
DLH: More Disneyfied and walk through Downtown Disney to get to the park entrances.

We stay at Grand Californian because my BFF is DVC, so we’re spoiled. We have stayed at Disneyland Hotel several times though. If I was paying out of pocket full price, and the price difference wasn’t that big of an issue for me, I’d stay at the grand everytime. We like to go to Trader Sam’s, which of course you can do whether your staying at a Disney hotel or not, but it’s a short walk from the grand.
Our most recent trip a few weeks ago, we reserved a cabana at Disneyland hotel pools. It was great. So we stayed at the grand, but spent half of the day at Disneyland hotel pools (better slides) and we’re doing the same when we go in a few weeks. So that’s something to consider if you want to experience a bit of each.

I agree with what others said about the monorail. It breaks down - a lot - and the line can be very long depending on the time of day or night you try to take it. It once took us 30 minutes to get from the Downtown Disney Station to the Tomorrowland Station. Much quicker to walk.

GCH easily , and I've stayed at both multiple times.

I first stayed in a studio on rented DVC points for GCH last minute which NEVER happens and was spoiled. Stayed hotel side as well last month with a Partial Theme park view and loved being right outside Goofy's Flight school ! Hearthstone lounge is amazing for food and drinks , the walk is so short and the overall relaxation factor is higher to me.

I still absolutely love the DLH but that walk sometimes late is tiring.

Neither have a direct connection to the monorail... honestly the monorail is about and equal walk between the two properties.

I LOVE the Disneyland Hotel, I don't think I could give that up with a 100% stay at the Grand, BUT, this was my first time staying at the Grand and.... it hooked me. The walking distance doesn't seem like much, but it did enjoy that it was shorter and quicker to get in. I liked that security to downtown Disney was right there at my hotel (granted Disneyland Hotel isn't that much further and security goes fast there too) and I loved the park entrance into DCA. Due to park hop rules now though, you could only use that entrance on days you start at DCA (or wait till after 1pm to enter). I found myself later in the afternoon going right into DCA even if I was going to head right over to Disneyland and would end up grabbing a curro or something on my way through DCA.

I liked that at the Grand the rooms all had sliding glass doors (at least the two different types of rooms I stayed in) and it was wonderful weather outside so I left that open a lot. I did notice more noise at the Grand vs the Disneyland Hotel, but it wasn't too much for me, especially with the glass door closed.

If you're staying four days or more I would say do a split stay (they'll transfer bags for you) and experience the Disneyland Hotel at least one night. That's probably what I'll do from now on, I tend to stay about 5 nights and usually it's a split stay with Universal in the middle. If I can get a good price on the Grand I think I'll stay at the Grand for the first part of the trip and then the last night after I come back from Universal at the Disneyland Hotel.

(I will not that the Grand is HUGE. Shining hallways huge. It takes much more walking once in the lobby to get to your room compared with DLH. In addition, the bell services took about 23 minutes to get my bags up to me two different times, they said 20 to 25 so it was expected, where the Disneyland hotel did it in about 5 minutes on two different times. If you're someone that runs down to the bar and back to the room, pool and back to the room, down to the car or to grab some food and bring it up, etc the DLH might be faster and shorter distances.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter