• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time at Disneyland! HELP!

funkyspunky871

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm a huge fan of Disney World, and I know the Florida parks like the back of my hand. In April, my family and I are headed to Disneyland for the very first time. I'm so lost, and I have no idea where to begin planning a trip! I've googled Disneyland over and over again, but I haven't been able to find a beginner's guide to the Disneyland park and California Adventure. If anybody has some true beginner's tips, I'd really appreciate it. I also have a few questions...

1.) Does Disneyland use magicbands like Disney World?
2.) Does Disneyland have fastpass+ or are they still using something like the old paper system that Disney World had a few years ago?
3.) How many days in the parks are recommended to really experience everything?
4.) Where are the best places to eat? Is there a Disneyland dining plan?

Thanks!

No, they still use paper tickets.

2.) Does Disneyland have fastpass+ or are they still using something like the old paper system that Disney World had a few years ago?
It's the old paper system. You physically have to go to each FP location, and you can only have one at a time. There are certain ones (WOC, Fantasmic, or Anna & Elsa, off the top of my head) that don't count towards your limit, so you could, say, have a Radiator Springs Racer FP and Anna & Elsa FP and WOC FP at the same time.

We usually spend at least two days in each park, and I still don't think we've hit everything... but we do have a toddler :)

There is a dining plan, but it's nothing like the WDW dining plan and I can't think of a single case where you would actually save money using it. For TS, I like Big Thunder Ranch BBQ (all-you-care-to-eat BBQ ribs, chicken, corn on the cob, etc) and Wine Country Trattoria (Italian), and for QS, Rancho del Zocalo (Mexican) and Paradise Garden Grill (kabobs). Pretty much everything we've tried there has been good, though. Perhaps if you list some of your favorites at WDW we could give recommendations based on that?

You'll have a great time! While DL is nowhere near as big as WDW, there's a lot packed into each park. One of the things I really love is how easy it is to park hop. We've rope dropped at DL to ride Dumbo, wandered over to DCA to watch the afternoon parade, and then headed back to DL to see fireworks... and of course we rode a bunch of rides and ate food in there, too!

Hydroguy has a really nice guide for DL for those who are more familiar with WDW. Good luck!

Take at least two days for each park:dance3:. Remember to take time to enjoy being there. Take lots of pictures and have your picture(PhotoPass) taken a lot. Take time to go to City Hall when you first enter Disneyland to find out where and when your favorite characters will be in the park. Be sure to get pictures with your favorite characters:hug:. We have been going for years and simply don't go unless we have at least five days to enjoy the parks(and we still do not see everything every visit). Check the online bookstores and e-bay for guides for first time Disneyland visitors. Disneyland has so much to see and do it is almost impossible to begin to give advise on how to see it. :jumping1:

The conventional answer is four days minimum. There are a lot of refurbs happening preceding the 60th anniversary celebration starting May. Also, early April at DLR is a lot different than late April. Early April tends to be high season and late April off season. If you were going late April and on weekdays you might be able to get away with three days.

This should help:

"What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467

:wizard:

I definitely agree 4 days minimum 5 days would be best it's always nice to have an extra day to go back and just hit your favorites and anything you may have missed!

Hi! I'm a huge fan of Disney World, and I know the Florida parks like the back of my hand. In April, my family and I are headed to Disneyland for the very first time. I'm so lost, and I have no idea where to begin planning a trip! I've googled Disneyland over and over again, but I haven't been able to find a beginner's guide to the Disneyland park and California Adventure. If anybody has some true beginner's tips, I'd really appreciate it. I also have a few questions...

Nope. They have confirmed that it will be coming in the near future (probably 2016), but for now, it's still paper tickets

No, the FPs are still paper.

For first-timers, five days will allow you to do most of the attractions and shows at a pretty relaxed pace, but if not, do at least four for a solid visit.

Carthay circle is considered the best restaurant ever inside a theme park. Napa rose at the Grand Californian hotel is even fancier. It really depends on what you are after, but most of the restaurants serve pretty good food. As for the dining plan, there is one, but do not use it, it is a waste of money. You basically get these coupons for food, and any unused value is lost.

Thanks!

Have a great visit!

Any time that we go to DL we always get the maximum ticket package....which is now only 5 days. Like the OP has said park hopping is so much easier to do at DLR than WDW so we always get hoppers so that we can go back and forth between the parks anytime that the mood strikes us:thumbsup2
Make sure that you get your RSR FP first thing in the morning as they will run out of those quickly.

Hope you have a great trip!!

I'll add another observation comparing DL to Disneyworld. If you are staying on property or close to it, everything is within walking distance. We always stay at the DLH and walk every where. To get from Disneyland to California Adventures takes all of about 2 minutes. Sometimes you might have to wait in line a few minutes but, usually not very long. Everything at DL is in a much smaller space. Take the time to look around you to see how much detail is put into everythingpixiedust:. Enjoy

Read ALL of Hyrdroguy's tips lists that are in the sticky at the top of the forum and then read them again, and probably again. There is so much information in them and all of it is golden. Take notes on things that pertain to your family.

Come here to the Disneyland forum every day and just peruse the threads that speak to you. You'll glean all kinds of information and then you'll know better the specific questions you want/need to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter