• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time at Disneyland- Last minute suggestions?

Kylie kaiser

Earning My Ears
This Saturday my Boyfriend and I will be arriving in Disneyland for the first time as we usually frequent WDW. We will be in the parks 3/3-3/6 with park hopper tickets and want to make sure we can see and do the most in those 4 days. We are wondering what suggestions some of you might have on what days to do what park and what rides to prioritize for fast passes / early morning when it is less busy. I've read a number of articles but I'd like to hear some more opinions. Please also let me know if there are any other restaurants I should be including in our plans. Currently we have Carnation Cafe for Breakfast and Lunch, Cafe Orleans, and Wine Country for dinner as well. Open to any and all suggestions! Thank you!

I’m a go with the flow and do what I want type of park tourer. So never really have a plan.

As for food if you like fried chicken Plaza Inn for lunch/dinner is yummy. I don’t normally eat on the bone chicken but for this I do.

You get one MM with your tickets, so plan on how you would like to use that. Your MM is on Tuesday. Plan to be early through bag check if you'll be using the Harbor side entrance and in line for the gates at least 30 minutes before they open (maybe more if you really want to be at the front). Plan which land you want to go to first and which rides you'll want. And be ready to purchase MP right away after going through the turnstiles. You'll be able to book your first FP at that time, even before the parks open (although your first return time won't be until after park opening). You'll have enough days to save PP for another time if you don't want to invest a chunk of your MM on that. Food & Wine Festival will be going on in DCA during your dates. The menus are up (see the F&W thread on this forum)! If you'll be seeing WOC with a free FP, get those early -- they're running out before 2 pm.

...As for food if you like fried chicken Plaza Inn for lunch/dinner is yummy. I don’t normally eat on the bone chicken but for this I do.

It's also good at Flo's V8 Cafe in DCA. I have not had it at the Plaza Inn but had 2 CM's say they liked Flo's better. Next trip I plan on comparing. :D

We just went to Disneyland for the first time in December. We are WDW goers but wanted to try out Disneyland .....LOVED IT!!!!! Make sure to check out the maps for both parks. It will save you time as DL is not exactly setup like MC and CA is a complete different park. Make sure to check the parade times to ensure you are on the right side of the main hub. It gets very crowded there.
Rides- we rode everything in 2 1/2 days. Get MP it’s amazing. We did 17 rides and attractions on our last day. Remember that not all attractions use FP so make a plan to get the most out of your trip. All the rides were fun. The standard rides like SM, BTM, POC, HM are much better then WDW. If you are a character M&G fan you will enjoy that some of the characters just rome around. IMO they seem to interact better then at WDW.
Have fun!!!!

Make sure to check out the maps for both parks. It will save you time as DL is not exactly setup like MC and CA is a complete different park.

After many trips to DW I went to DL last August. As I said to some friends who have just done DW but want to try DL, the MK and DL feels like deja vu. You feel like you have been there before but it's just a little different on how you remember it.

I went with my 9yo DD and she has played the Disneyland game on our Xbox, . At one point our first day in the park we were walking from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland and I told her we had to walk this way . She say no there is a shortcut this way. She knew from playing the game how to get around the park :)

I would think Blue Bayou is worth checking out instead of Cafe Orleans. It's my favorite "signature" spot here.
People mentioned The Plaza Inn and yes I have to agree it is delish and it's my family's favorite quick spot to eat. You can also grab a table outside at night and time it with fireworks so you can watch. However, I think the castle is being refurbed right now.. I'm not sure.

Carnation Cafe is good too and you can make reservations timing around the parades, ask for a table outside and you will have a perfect spot for parade watching.

DCA.. the reservations you have are good. I really like that restaurant. Normally you can get the dinner package for World of Color but that is down right now, too. :/

Flo's is just ok in my opinion. What makes it worthwhile is it is right next to Radiator Springs so you can see people on the ride and has a nice vibe. We usually grab early breakfast there and either use Fastpass or standby the line because the wait really might not be that bad depending how early you're there, especially on a weekday morning.

I think you should try to check out Big Thunder here since we have the explosion scene that I dont think MK has. Does MK have submarines? If not, I'd do that at least once. Our Small World has some special characters in it. Mr. Toad. Alice. Haunted Mansion because we have Hatbox Ghost.

Incredicoaster, Guardians, Monsters Inc., Goofys Sky School I think are all only here and are easy fastpasses to get.

I've never been to WDW but am planning vacation there for June, and one thing I can tell right now just from planning purposes is it is waaaaay more laid back in CA. Really the only ride that is tough to get a FP for is Radiator and Incredicoaster. Fastpass those in the morning.

Carnation Cafe and Blue Bayou will fill up for food but numerous times I can check in with the host and take a reservation for later. There is not as much planning here as WDW so you can come with no plans and still end up doing a lot of rides and eating good food with no worry. Mobile order Dole Whip and save yourself the agony of that whole section over there in Adventureland.

Oh, and cant forget about Matterhorn and Indiana!!

Fantasmic, World of Color and the castle are down right now making it, in my opinion, a little disappointing (also with Downtown Disney isn't anything special) but also very likely that crowds can be down especially in bottleneck areas.

Last edited:

Carnation Cafe is good too and you can make reservations timing around the parades, ask for a table outside and you will have a perfect spot for parade watching.

DCA.. the reservations you have are good. I really like that restaurant. Normally you can get the dinner package for World of Color but that is down right now, too. :/...

Carnation Cafe and Blue Bayou will fill up for food but numerous times I can check in with the host and take a reservation for later...

Fantasmic, World of Color and the castle are down right...

Some clarification:
BB and Carnation Cafe frequently turn away walk ups, so it is better to have PS reservations. Making reservations on the app is easy and you can also look for same day cancellations.
At CC, you can request patio seating for parade viewing, but your request won't be guaranteed (and you might be seated at the back of the patio). And viewing from the patio is mediocre at best if you haven't seen the parade before. You'll be able to see the tops of the floats, but hardly anything at street level because other guests will be walking on the sidewalk in front of you or standing on the curb watching the parade, thus blocking your lower view. But you will hear the music just fine.
WOC is back up and running as of 2/22. So go see that show!

This Saturday my Boyfriend and I will be arriving in Disneyland for the first time as we usually frequent WDW. We will be in the parks 3/3-3/6 with park hopper tickets and want to make sure we can see and do the most in those 4 days. We are wondering what suggestions some of you might have on what days to do what park and what rides to prioritize for fast passes / early morning when it is less busy. I've read a number of articles but I'd like to hear some more opinions. Please also let me know if there are any other restaurants I should be including in our plans. Currently we have Carnation Cafe for Breakfast and Lunch, Cafe Orleans, and Wine Country for dinner as well. Open to any and all suggestions! Thank you!
upload_2019-3-2_0-47-10.png
Do as many of the outside rides as possible on the days with better weather.
When the rain hits... Scope out indoor venues and the shows.

I'll be there Tues to Thurs next week. I've been during rain showers but never RAIN.
I went and bought a small umbrella to take with me.

I think I will be canceling my WOC dessert party reservation.

With rain many say the locals will stay home. Fingers crossed for no crowds.

Have fun and stay dry.

G

View attachment 385794
Do as many of the outside rides as possible on the days with better weather.
When the rain hits... Scope out indoor venues and the shows.

I'll be there Tues to Thurs next week. I've been during rain showers but never RAIN.
I went and bought a small umbrella to take with me.

I think I will be canceling my WOC dessert party reservation.

With rain many say the locals will stay home. Fingers crossed for no crowds.

Have fun and stay dry.

G
Correct on BB and CC. That's why I said they do fill up, but its possible to get in later.

And what else I need to clarify is when I mentioned the DCA rides that are easy to get FPs for, I didnt mean RS, Guardians and Coaster. Those are definitely fastpasses you should get but early morning standby shouldnt be too bad either.

Correct on locals staying home during the rain. We are all over the rain here and if it isn't just sprinkling maybe a little, no one willingly goes to DL. That's crazy talk! :P
Yay for you. Meh for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter