First time at WDW with kids

shrinkydinky

Disney Dreamer
i have been to WDW twice now. But next March, my cousin and his two girls, age 8 and 11, will be joining our group of 7 adult family members. This will be their first time. We thought we would give them a Bippity Boppity make-over. But would love some suggestions on "must do" things or rides or events that the girls might enjoy. It will be a blast seeing WDW through their eyes. :)

Since you have a lot of time before then, how about getting them some park maps and such so that they can look and plan what they would like to do? At 8 and 11 they are pretty much old enough to do everything (the 8 yo may not be tall enough for 1 or two rides, so that is something to look into ahead of time). Sounds like an awesome family trip. Personally, I would stick to 1-2 "extra activities" such as BBB because they will get so much enjoyment out of the parks themselves that you really don't need a whole lot of extra.

Personally, I would stick to 1-2 "extra activities" such as BBB because they will get so much enjoyment out of the parks themselves that you really don't need a whole lot of extra.

I agree. First time to Disney World will be awesome enough so not a lot of extra stuff that needs to be scheduled.

We had the great fortune to be able to see our then five year old granddaughter's first trip to Disney World before she was officially our granddaughter (her mother and my son got engaged on the trip). She didn't know she was going until we pulled up to the gates - she thought she was meeting her future family. So, we hadn't planned anything for her at all and the trip was magical.

Then, a few years alter, we took her and her then five year old brother for his first time. They had found out about it just a week earlier at Christmas and they were signed up for the kids' marathon stuff. That was the only scheduled thing we had and they had a lot of fun but the most joyful times were just seeing them having fun in the parks. My grandson was the smallest Jedi at the Studios, my granddaughter finally did Splash Mountain. Those were the memories of that trip - the unexpected ones.

First trip BBB and a character meal or two would be the extras for the first trip. Odds are good they will be overwhelmed with the entire experience and have a blast. This also leaves the other extras for future trips :o)

Agree with above but would also add in Pin Trading and the EPCOT funstops. If you have not been with a kid before, I just would not want them to miss those items. EPCOT also has Fineas & Ferb detective quests (not sure the real name) but my kid liked doing those things while we toured the parks.

Enjoy...

Thanks for the tips. Yes, WDW has so much to offer, without adding too many extras. My eldest sister has been 25 times and she said she hasn't seen everything. My cousin said he isn't really interested in seeing anything in the parks. But his perspective is that he's only been to Disneyland. WDW is a whole big different thing. He has no idea! Plus, we will be there during the Flower & Garden Festival. My sister always springs for a family dinner (usually Boma, since we love it), and then a character breakfast. i need to find out if the girls like roller coasters or faster rides. i can go on the slow rides with them, but someone else has to do the scary and fast rides. :)

I have 3 daughters. 22, 18, 16.

3 thumbs up for BBB

3 thumbs up for breakfast with Cinderella.

From there it depends on their likes and interests as far as character meets. Mine are of the opinion that you are never too old for princess meet and greets. Just something to keep in mind.

Agree with above but would also add in Pin Trading and the EPCOT funstops.

With the Epcot stops, I want to add something my daughter-in-law said after my granddaughter's first trip. Granddaughter had her mark and wanted to stop at ALL the stops around Epcot. Which is great and she had a good time BUT - the parents felt they couldn't explore the countries the way they wanted. My daughter-in-law said if they did that again (grandson NOT interested in doing this), they would do two days so all could enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter