First Time Cruise out of NY - A Few Questions

Tink316

Mouseketeer
We are taking the Magic out of New York. We have never cruised before so have no idea what to expect.

How do you actually check in for the cruise?
Do you bring your luggage onto the ship yourself? Or how does that work?
If you want to attend a show on the ship, do you have to make a reservation?
And what about dining? Where is the "main dining" done?

Open to any other things we SHOULD know before we go. We are ok going with the flow and learning as we go, but want to be a little bit prepared for things we might not anticipate.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
We are taking the Magic out of New York. We have never cruised before so have no idea what to expect.

Open to any other things we SHOULD know before we go. We are ok going with the flow and learning as we go, but want to be a little bit prepared for things we might not anticipate.

Thanks!!
As first time DCL cruisers, your online check in window opens at 75 days out from the cruise on the DCL website. You fill all the information out there (you can do it at the port on embarkation day, but it saves time to do it early). During the process you select a Port Arrival Time. When you arrive at the port, you finish the check in and receive your Key To the World Card (room/charge key).

If you are driving to the port, you can drive up and drop off your bags with the porter and then go park. Or you can park and bring your bags to hand off to the porters once you reach the entrance. The checked bags will be handed by DCL directly to your room onboard. Your carry on bags you keep with you.

No reservations necessary for any of the shows onboard.

As first time DCL cruisers, your online check in window opens at 75 days out from the cruise on the DCL website. You fill all the information out there (you can do it at the port on embarkation day, but it saves time to do it early). During the process you select a Port Arrival Time. When you arrive at the port, you finish the check in and receive your Key To the World Card (room/charge key).

If you are driving to the port, you can drive up and drop off your bags with the porter and then go park. Or you can park and bring your bags to hand off to the porters once you reach the entrance. The checked bags will be handed by DCL directly to your room onboard. Your carry on bags you keep with you.

No reservations necessary for any of the shows onboard.
Thanks for the info. All very helpful!

We stayed the night before at Marriott Marquis and then took DCL Transportation to port.

And what about dining? Where is the "main dining" done?

Thanks!!

The Magic has three Main Dining Rooms (MDR). When you check in for your cruise, you'll receive your key to the world. It will have your dining rotation on it, as you're dining in a different MDR each night. Lumiere's is French inspired and has a Beauty and the Beast theme. Animator's Palate and Rapunzel's Royal Table both have fun show elements to them. Quick service foods are available on the pool deck each evening, featuring things like burgers and pizza. Except for the first and last nights of your cruise Cabanas, the buffet, becomes a sit down restaurant. The adults only restaurant Is Palo, which is Italian inspired. But, as this is your first Disney cruise, I would not skip the MDRs.

The Magic has three Main Dining Rooms (MDR). When you check in for your cruise, you'll receive your key to the world. It will have your dining rotation on it, as you're dining in a different MDR each night. Lumiere's is French inspired and has a Beauty and the Beast theme. Animator's Palate and Rapunzel's Royal Table both have fun show elements to them. Quick service foods are available on the pool deck each evening, featuring things like burgers and pizza. Except for the first and last nights of your cruise Cabanas, the buffet, becomes a sit down restaurant. The adults only restaurant Is Palo, which is Italian inspired. But, as this is your first Disney cruise, I would not skip the MDRs.
Thank you!!

The NYC port is a little crazy so I prefer not to drive. I like getting dropped off in front of the terminal. I suggest packing as little as possible in your carry on bag, I find it easier. Cruising requires less advance planning versus WDW so there's not too much to worry about. When you get there checking in is like the airport, you go through security, check in at the desk and then wait to board. You should definitely anticipate getting addicted.

The Manhattan cruise terminal building has 3 levels. Top level is mainly parking. Mid level is for pick up and drop of personal vehicles and where the cabs line up. First floor level is mainly for shuttles, buses and limos.

The ship usually docks at Pier 88 or 90. The piers are all right next to each other and are accessed from the same roadway. When entering you can pretty much see where each ship is docked (on a weekend there will be other ships docked there). During the week it is hit or miss if another ship will be docked.

The entrance to the port has a ramp up to the mid level where if you are being dropped off via cab or private car you would go.

Here are some pics:

DSC06528.jpeg

Going up the ramp to the mid level.

DSC06529.jpeg DSC06532.jpeg DSC06535.jpeg DSC06534.jpeg

Disney was not in port the day I took these pics.

DSC06539.jpeg

Outside of the terminal heading North up the West Side Highway.

You do not need a reservation for shows. If you have early seating you will see the show after dinner if you have late seating the show will be before. Make sure you keep anything of value/importance (i.e. medications) in your carry on as you may not see your luggage delivered for several hours (last time one of my bags was delivered at 10 PM). Keep swimsuits in your carry on and maybe dinner clothes/shoes.

The Manhattan cruise terminal building has 3 levels. Top level is mainly parking. Mid level is for pick up and drop of personal vehicles and where the cabs line up. First floor level is mainly for shuttles, buses and limos.

The ship usually docks at Pier 88 or 90. The piers are all right next to each other and are accessed from the same roadway. When entering you can pretty much see where each ship is docked (on a weekend there will be other ships docked there). During the week it is hit or miss if another ship will be docked.

The entrance to the port has a ramp up to the mid level where if you are being dropped off via cab or private car you would go.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 347479

Going up the ramp to the mid level.

View attachment 347480 View attachment 347481 View attachment 347482 View attachment 347483

Disney was not in port the day I took these pics.

View attachment 347484

Outside of the terminal heading North up the West Side Highway.

Is it possible to drop family members off 1st, then I go park the car, and then meet up with them? We are driving down from Massachusetts next month.

DSC06537.jpeg
Is it possible to drop family members off 1st, then I go park the car, and then meet up with them? We are driving down from Massachusetts next month.

You check in on the mid-level so it is better to drop them off there (sorry, just re read your post..I thought you wanted to drop off on 1st floor). You can drop them pretty close to the door. The bottom level is basically the luggage hall where you exit the terminal at the end. Security, check-in and waiting area are all on the mid-level. Here is a pic of the entrance on the mid-level. Also, as my pics in a previous post show there is a sign at the top of the ramp for drop off and then parking. You can continue to drop off and I am pretty sure there is another entrance for parking at the other end of the terminal. If not then you would have exit the terminal and then circle back in to park. If you choose to park first I do not know if there are porters up there to take your bags. There is an escalator and possibly an elevator but can't confirm the elevator from top floor. We only parked up there once.

Ok, just found my pic (top of this post) that shows the sign at the end of the terminal (after you drop off). It does show parking with an arrow to the right but I have seen it closed at times.

DSCN4859.JPG

Below are pics also from the mid-level roadway (through the plexiglass). Bottom pic shows the ship along side the pier. The very top of the building is the parking area, middle set of windows is where you check in, etc. and bottom is the loading area for supplies and inside the bottom level is the luggage hall. So, when boarding begins you exit the inside of the terminal and then walk along the outside of the terminal to the gangway. The gangway is an uphill zig zag up to the 3rd Deck of the ship.

Disclaimer....this has been the way it is for the last several cruises I have taken out of NY (beginning in 2012 and most recently last October). Things could always change of course but we have always checked in on the mid-level.

MJ

DSCN4845.JPG DSCN4848.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 347747

You check in on the mid-level so it is better to drop them off there (sorry, just re read your post..I thought you wanted to drop off on 1st floor). You can drop them pretty close to the door. The bottom level is basically the luggage hall where you exit the terminal at the end. Security, check-in and waiting area are all on the mid-level. Here is a pic of the entrance on the mid-level. Also, as my pics in a previous post show there is a sign at the top of the ramp for drop off and then parking. You can continue to drop off and I am pretty sure there is another entrance for parking at the other end of the terminal. If not then you would have exit the terminal and then circle back in to park. If you choose to park first I do not know if there are porters up there to take your bags. There is an escalator and possibly an elevator but can't confirm the elevator from top floor. We only parked up there once.

Ok, just found my pic (top of this post) that shows the sign at the end of the terminal (after you drop off). It does show parking with an arrow to the right but I have seen it closed at times.

View attachment 347743

Below are pics also from the mid-level roadway (through the plexiglass). Bottom pic shows the ship along side the pier. The very top of the building is the parking area, middle set of windows is where you check in, etc. and bottom is the loading area for supplies and inside the bottom level is the luggage hall. So, when boarding begins you exit the inside of the terminal and then walk along the outside of the terminal to the gangway. The gangway is an uphill zig zag up to the 3rd Deck of the ship.

Disclaimer....this has been the way it is for the last several cruises I have taken out of NY (beginning in 2012 and most recently last October). Things could always change of course but we have always checked in on the mid-level.

MJ

View attachment 347744 View attachment 347745

Thank you so much for the info & photos! I like to know what I'm doing before I get there!

You don’t need reservations for shows, but I think it’s worth noting that there are ticketed events - like the character breakfast (not sure if they do that on 5-day?), the princess & frozen meet and greets, and the sports simulator.
I have to recommend Palo brunch even if it is your first cruise. It’s fun, food is yummy, and views are awesome. Palo does require reservations.
Also - if you need Nursery reservations, you can make them ahead.
If you have kids that want to do BBB or pirate night makeovers, try to book those ahead as well.
I’m guessing you might know this already, but if there’s a port excursion you really want to do, go ahead & reserve that ahead of time :)

You certainly can play it all by ear and have an INCREDIBLE time, but that’s the scoop on things it might help to book in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter