First time cruiser with several questions

Chip & Dale

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going on our first cruise. We are going on the Fantasy in October. I have several questions I was hoping an experienced cruiser could help me with.

1. The data package: Realistically how much use would I get out of the 300mb vs. 1000mb. I would like to email and check in with family and include a few pictures daily.

2. Wine package: I would like to have a glass of wine with our evening meals but my husband doesn’t drink wine (he’s a beer guy) could I have a bottle of white and red open at the same time? I saw they would hold one bottle you didn’t finish from evening to evening but will they let me have two open?

3. Beer Token: Could my husband use his beer token at our evening meal then just tack on the charge like usual?

4. Cove Cafe: If I go to Cove Cafe for a for an occasional special coffee and get the Cafe Fanatic reward card if I don’t get to the sixth drink free on this cruise will the previous buys continue over for future cruises?

Thanks for you time

My husband and I are going on our first cruise. We are going on the Fantasy in October. I have several questions I was hoping an experienced cruiser could help me with.

1. The data package: Realistically how much use would I get out of the 300mb vs. 1000mb. I would like to email and check in with family and include a few pictures daily. I can't help you on this one. We typically just get the free 50mb package (for two of us) and it works fine. We just log in every 2nd or 3rd day and check emails.

2. Wine package: I would like to have a glass of wine with our evening meals but my husband doesn’t drink wine (he’s a beer guy) could I have a bottle of white and red open at the same time? I saw they would hold one bottle you didn’t finish from evening to evening but will they let me have two open?Yes.

3. Beer Token: Could my husband use his beer token at our evening meal then just tack on the charge like usual? I believe that's possible.

4. Cove Cafe: If I go to Cove Cafe for a for an occasional special coffee and get the Cafe Fanatic reward card if I don’t get to the sixth drink free on this cruise will the previous buys continue over for future cruises? Maybe. In the past incomplete coffee cards could be used on a subsequent cruise. Then DCL started saying "only good on the cruise you start it". But most CMs don't seem to hold to that. Not sure what the policy is now.

Thanks for you time

My answers in red.

I can confirm the following.

#2 - Depending on your carrier you can probably get service while in port also. Check your service if you need to do anything to add Caribbean. If you are on the Eastern Caribbean and stop in St. Thomas it is US and cell service is good there. While in port you might find WiFi at restaurants or other spots.

#4 - Yes, it may not be according to DCL protocol but I have done that in the past as well as consolidated cards from two trips. They may not honor but it has not been my experience and it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I can confirm the following.

#2 - Depending on your carrier you can probably get service while in port also. Check your service if you need to do anything to add Caribbean. If you are on the Eastern Caribbean and stop in St. Thomas it is US and cell service is good there. While in port you might find WiFi at restaurants or other spots.

#4 - Yes, it may not be according to DCL protocol but I have done that in the past as well as consolidated cards from two trips. They may not honor but it has not been my experience and it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Thanks about phone carrier tip I never would have thought of that.

Looks likes I’ll have to see if they will honor previous purchases when I need it.

Thanks about phone carrier tip I never would have thought of that.

I have AT&T and just called about their international/cruise package so that I can have unlimited texting, including photos. Like ScooterScott said, it depends on your carrier and what cell package you currently have.

My DH can NOT disconnect himself (pun intended!) while we are on vacation, even on a cruise, so I am considering the not so cheap package that includes a lot of data for him. It's certainly not any more than the data package the cruise offers for as much as DH uses.

I have AT&T and just called about their international/cruise package so that I can have unlimited texting, including photos. Like ScooterScott said, it depends on your carrier and what cell package you currently have.

My DH can NOT disconnect himself (pun intended!) while we are on vacation, even on a cruise, so I am considering the not so cheap package that includes a lot of data for him. It's certainly not any more than the data package the cruise offers for as much as DH uses.

Thank you for your insight. We have AT&T as well. I may call and see what their packages are like. I just feel I need some kind of contact back home.

hank you for your insight. We have AT&T as well. I may call and see what their packages are like. I just feel I need some kind of contact back home.

ScooterScott had the idea of checking your cell carrier's plan first. :cutie: AT&T had kind of a phone call run around when I called the # on their website for international and cruise plans, so be prepared. You want the international packages folks. For myself, I got a package that includes 50 min. total TALK time but as I mentioned, unlimited texting including photos and video. Only thing that is kind of frustrating is that I just need the package for a week cruise, but of course it is for 30 days. :rolleyes1

ScooterScott had the idea of checking your cell carrier's plan first. :cutie: AT&T had kind of a phone call run around when I called the # on their website for international and cruise plans, so be prepared. You want the international packages folks. For myself, I got a package that includes 50 min. total TALK time but as I mentioned, unlimited texting including photos and video. Only thing that is kind of frustrating is that I just need the package for a week cruise, but of course it is for 30 days. :rolleyes1

Thank you so much! You have help to point me in the right direction. But it does stink about having to buy the plan for the whole month.

Whats the difference between the cruise and international package?

I just finished my first cruise and can answer your #1. I had wrestled with the same issue as I needed to keep tabs on work (just checking email) but wasnt sure how much I would need. They have a pay as you go option with $0.25 per MB or the tiered options with 100MB, 300MB, 1000MB etc.... I was expecting to get the 1000MB but the 300MB went far for me if you are just checking email and sending email without attachments. The other key thing was I realized I was on vacation and just gave work a rest and only checked email at the end of the day.

Whats the difference between the cruise and international package?

Well, I guess they are kind of the same, but with my carrier (and I'm sure others), they have some sort of agreement with certain cruise ships to allow their services (I know I'm not likely saying that in the right technical verbiage), and of course the 4 Disney ships are on AT&T's list, as are several other cruise lines. Check out the link to the page to which I refer:

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-ship-list.html

Hope that helps! Happy planning! :cutie:

I got a text from AT&T last week about expanded service to Mexico and Canada. I would check with your carrier. I will caution you connecting while away. You are taking this fabulous trip so try to disconnect and enjoy being away from work. (You may be emailing personal so that is another story) Be aware posting on social media, no matter your privacy settings nothing is really private online. People can find out you are gone and it could make your home vulnerable. Not trying to scare you but people will dig into your information.

Also to make your data last longer check what apps are using data. There may be ones you don't need connected. For instance I back my photos up to Google but turn that off on the cruise so it won't suck up my data on the ship.

I always use my beer token at the restaurant we are at that evening (except Palo). That way I still get the 16 ounces for the price of twelve. And at the end of the meal, they take away the mug and return your token.

I just finished my first cruise and can answer your #1. I had wrestled with the same issue as I needed to keep tabs on work (just checking email) but wasnt sure how much I would need. They have a pay as you go option with $0.25 per MB or the tiered options with 100MB, 300MB, 1000MB etc.... I was expecting to get the 1000MB but the 300MB went far for me if you are just checking email and sending email without attachments. The other key thing was I realized I was on vacation and just gave work a rest and only checked email at the end of the day.

Thanks for your input. It has helped. I would like to email family about once a day. But it’s mainly to check on family back home. We have two sick family members and an elderly parent. I know there’s nothing I could do if something wrong but I would like to keep in touch.

50mb is fine for me on a short cruise. Last week, I ended up using that up in a couple of days, and then purchased the 300mb. That lasted me all week, and then I had about 40mb left when I got off the ship! I uploaded at least 20 pictures each night to Facebook, checked my email, my security cameras at home, messaged through FB messenger. I always worry that I will lose my camera and all my pictures, so I upload a bunch daily! My nice camera has wifi built in, so it sends them to my phone without using the ship wifi, and then I upload them that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter