• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time Doing Keys To The Kingdom - What To Expect

BachataMan

Registered
This Saturday at 9 AM will be my first ever Keys To The Kingdom Tour. After visiting Magic Kingdom so many times now that I practically know the entire park like the back of my hand, this is definitely exciting and I'd like others to share their experiences and any tips that you have for the tour. I know they don't allow cameras/video and there's a huge confidentiality agreement, so share what you can under the legal limit.

Same here. We first went after going to DW countless times and we loved it. It is a lot of walking but it was so much fun. Everyone had headsets so you didn't have to be so near the tour guide to hear everything. We had a great tour guide that made the tour. We love learning about the behind the scenes part of Disney. Plus we learned so much just on Main Street alone.
We ate at Tomorrowland Terrace and the food was surprisingly good. Have fun!

I took the tour 2 weeks ago after 20+ trips to Disney and learned a ton. Our guide was great and her passion and love for Disney made me tear up a couple of times. We had lunch at Pecos Bill and it was SO GOOD. We had a private room for just our group with our own toppings bar.

I'll be the Negative Nellie - I didn't love this tour. I'm someone who is interested in how the parks operate and how the magic is created. Our Tour Guide only talked about the history of Walt Disney (the man), not the park itself. When we got to the Utilidors under the Magic Kingdom, we stood there for 20 minutes while he talked about photographs hanging on the wall.

I much preferred the longer tour which went to several parks (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head). The Magic Kingdom section of that tour was much more fun than the Keys to the Kingdom tour. That tour guide walked us through the utilidors, and told us what happened in different sections of it.

I'll be the Negative Nellie - I didn't love this tour. I'm someone who is interested in how the parks operate and how the magic is created. Our Tour Guide only talked about the history of Walt Disney (the man), not the park itself. When we got to the Utilidors under the Magic Kingdom, we stood there for 20 minutes while he talked about photographs hanging on the wall.

I much preferred the longer tour which went to several parks (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head). The Magic Kingdom section of that tour was much more fun than the Keys to the Kingdom tour. That tour guide walked us through the utilidors, and told us what happened in different sections of it.
This was our experience as well. A lot of discussion about Walt. I still liked it though. I don't find it to be too much walking. Just a regular day in the theme parks....

AMAZING experience, got to learn some things I didn’t even know. I also heard no tour is the same. We got to explore mostly the western sections of the park and ate at pecos bill and saw the area behind PotC and Splash Mountain where they keep the parade floats. Interesting to see that cast members sometimes play basketball back there. I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t get into the history/secrets of Tomorrowland since that’s the area I’m most interested in, but maybe for a future tour.

I saw my favorite character Rapunzel halfway dressed under the utilidoors talking about getting queso from pecos bill.

It was really amazing though seeing the utilidoors and how intricate they were and everything that’s down there as well as learning all the secrets of Main Street USA.

Now I really want to do Walking In Walt’s Footsteps at Disneyland.

Great tour. I've taken it twice, excellent both times. 15% discounts with AP, DVC and Disney Visa.

Make sure to ask any questions you might have.
I know they don't allow cameras/video
Cameras are allowed on stage, just not backstage.

much preferred the longer tour which went to several parks (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head).
BAckstage Magic.

This was our experience as well. A lot of discussion about Walt. I still liked it though. I don't find it to be too much walking. Just a regular day in the theme parks....

Yes, this was our experience as well - of all of the tours we have taken at WDW, this one by far was our least favorite. I feel like if you already know a fair amount about Walt and Roy Disney, a lot of what is covered on this tour will be duplicated. However on our tour we did get to see some cool backstage areas (the back of Splash Mountain, the building where they house and prep the parade floats, and a "secret" corridor in Haunted Mansion) in addition to the utilidors, of course.

How far in advance do you need to book the tour? I will be there mid October and was wondering if I need to book sooner than later.

How far in advance do you need to book the tour? I will be there mid October and was wondering if I need to book sooner than later.
I would book when you know you want to go. There are times that this tour fills up, it is popular.

We went the first week in May and I booked the 8 AM tour about a week before. I wasn't expecting there to be availability but luckily there was!

Does anyone know what they serve for lunch? I've heard Pecos and Tomorrowland terrace...we go in 2 Weeks so I was just wondering...

Is park admission additional for this tour? So my family couldn't do it while our Silver APs are in blockout for the summer?

Yes, this was our experience as well - of all of the tours we have taken at WDW, this one by far was our least favorite. I feel like if you already know a fair amount about Walt and Roy Disney, a lot of what is covered on this tour will be duplicated. However on our tour we did get to see some cool backstage areas (the back of Splash Mountain, the building where they house and prep the parade floats, and a "secret" corridor in Haunted Mansion) in addition to the utilidors, of course.

That was my concern as well... I considered doing this tour on my recent trip but hesitated over whether it would really be worth the cost as I had already done a lot of reading about Disney and Disney World. Would still be interesting to go to those places, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter