First time ever staying at a DVC resort...what to expect? Differences?Similarities?

MelissaRV

Earning My Ears
We have been to Disney World twice before. We have stayed at POR and Wilderness Lodge on our previous trips. This year we were given an amazing opportunity to rent DVC points from a friend of ours. We have considered purchasing in the past and they thought this might be a great way to let us "SEE" what the DVC life is all about! :)

I know that there will be some differences and similarities from our previous stays, but I was wondering if someone could maybe shed a little light on what we should expect. I am willing to listen to anything you have to say. I'm interested in everything from housekeeping to transportation etc. In case it makes a difference we will be staying at the Boardwalk Villas in a Deluxe Studio. I appreciate all of your feedback. :)

We can provide you more personal/detail information/advice if you can answer these questions?
Dates of travel?
How many nights?
Details of who is/are travelling? (IE: DH, DW, Kids ages, etc)
What plans you have for which day at which park.
Reservations for dining?
DP, TiW, OOP for meals?

Major difference - you will not get daily housekeeping included, see below.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

Boardwalk has good transportation. Direct bus to MK & AK, boat to Epcot & DHS (or walk), bus to Disney Springs (shared).

Laundry and Housekeeping Services
Disney Vacation Club Resorts offer laundry and housekeeping services. Read More About Laundry and Housekeeping Services

Disney Vacation Club Resorts offer laundry and housekeeping services. Daily housekeeping service is not provided for Members.

A 24-hour self-service laundry room is available at each Disney Vacation Club Resort. There are also dry-cleaning and valet laundry services. Villas with one or more bedrooms feature an in-unit washer and dryer.

Trash & Towel Service
For stays of 7 nights or fewer, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 4, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel Service, Housekeeping will:

• Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins
  • Provide fresh bathroom linens
  • Replace bath amenities as needed
  • Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper
  • Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners
Full-Cleaning Service
For stays of 8 or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day 4 and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 8, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both. This cycle repeats for stays longer than 8 days.

With Full-Cleaning Service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

• Change the bed linens
  • Vacuum and dust the vacation villa
  • Clean the bathroom(s)
  • Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes
Rental Guests (non-Members or Disney Vacation Club Members not booking through Membership) receive Full Cleaning Services every day.

For all of the above, additional Housekeeping Services may be purchased.

Additional Housekeeping Service Daily Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $30 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $45 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $60 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $75 per day requested
Additional Trash & Towel Service Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $15 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $20 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $25 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $35 per day requested
Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities at no extra charge at the start of your stay and during each Housekeeping service. After that, you may purchase more amenities for the following fees (fees are subject to change):

• Toiletries Package: $5 - includes 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
  • Coffee Package: $3 - includes 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
  • Towel Package: $6 - includes 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
  • Laundry Detergent (only in 1-, 2- and 3-Bedroom Villas): $1 - includes 1 box for 1 load of laundry
NOTE: Rates are subject to change without notice.

I think there are only 2 major differences between hotel WDW stays and DVC stays: the housekeeping schedule and the rooms. You will not get housekeeping services every day. As far as the rooms go, if you are staying at a resort that has DVC rooms and regular hotel rooms, the DVC rooms will be a little further from the main lobby (kind of tucked out of the way). Also, the room set up is different. While in a regular hotel room you would have a king bed or 2 queens, in a studio you will have 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper sofa (and some resorts now have a pull down small twin). You will also have a small kitchenette.

There are of course differences on how you book, when you book, etc., but when you are on property, you are treated just like every other Disney guest.

My first stay in a DVC room was a BWV in a deluxe studio so I can tell you my first impressions at the time. I've since stayed in a studio at OKW, 2 more studio's at BWV and a 1 bedroom at AKV. As others have stated, you will not get daily mousekeeping, although you can pay for it if you wish. I believe they have updated the rooms since I stayed there, my last visit was May of last year. I felt the room was smaller than I was used to at BC/YC and it was certainly dated and not as well maintained. The "kitchenette" is actually almost like the little bump in area they used to have at BC/YC where the dresser sat (they have since gotten rid of those) so it's a little bump in with the same mini fridge you get in any room, a small bar sink, a microwave and cabinets. They stock paper plates, and utensils, mine had a roll of paper towels and one thing of coffee. The coffee pot is a regular Mr. Coffee as opposed to a single serve pot, which was a problem for me since I was solo so I ended up making a pot then re-heating it every day, since you don't get daily mousekeeping you don't get the coffee and other things replenished every day. I'm pretty sure I could have asked for more coffee but I didn't want to bother anyone with such a silly request. When I talked to my son the first thing I said was I felt sorry for DVC owners to pay that much money and get a room that (in my opinion) wasn't as big or as nice as a regular hotel guest would get. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad room and there wasn't pealing paint or anything like that, it was just a little worn and like I said, I think they've renovated those rooms since. I understand these are time shares so the owners don't want to pay more than they have to in dues so the rooms aren't updated as often as the hotel rooms. The BW area can't be beat for it's proximity to both Epcot and HS, a plus in my mind. They no longer share buses so you get your own dedicated bus, you share the boats with BC/YC and the Swan/Dolphin so that ride can be a bit long. I never took the boats while I was there, the walk to HS is nice and I would get there long before the boats and with no wait. I suppose if I were going to take a boat to HS, I might walk over to the Swan and catch it there since that is the last stop but really, if you were going to do that it's just as easy to walk to HS. I never take the boats to Epcot, it is just a hop skip and jump and an easy walk to the IG. The food options are limited to what is on the Boardwalk, there is a little continental type breakfast that can be had in the bar. The first time I stayed I had a view of the clown pool, I wouldn't recommend that, while I was there the lifeguards practiced every morning very early. While it was a hoot to watch them, it was loud. The second time I was at the very end that is toward HS, nice for the walk to HS and the bus stop wasn't that far but it was a little hike to the lobby. The third time (which was the same trip as the second time we just added a night and had to change rooms) again the view was of the pool but I think it was the quiet pool, I do know it was where they showed the movie. The second and third times I was not renting points but was staying as a hotel guest. My son and DIL thought it was great and liked it so much they bought DVC that trip.

BWV studios now sleep 5 with a pull-down adult cot. You might ask your friend to put in a request for the Village Green, croquet lawn or community pool for better views if you do not have Boardwalk view. I think you will love staying at BWV/

Last edited:
Not sure why Co-op needs all that info, you just want the facts of the difference. You never asked about the BW so the difference between DVC and reg room.
As all have mentioned the housekeeping. You do get a kitchenette with fridge,micro,toaster,coffeepot and mugs. So with that you can save both time and money with light breakfast in the room. As others have mentioned the beds, I do believe that BW does have the drop down 5 single now too. I have never had an issue with any of the pullouts in any resorts. You are farther from the main lobby, but not a bad thing. Most DVC have their own quiet pools. Almost all have a patio or balcony, can be handy and relaxing. Let the kids sleep and enjoy coffee in am, or drink in pm. Big difference is after initial purchase, to stay the cost is less if staying at a deluxe.

Another difference.

Checkout will be at 11 and there are no late checkouts. Checkin is whenever your room is ready - officially is "after 4" but if the room is ready when you arrive, we've gotten rooms at 11. On the other hand, some people haven't had a room ready for them until six or seven at night. DVC operates at a higher occupancy than hotels, so if there are a lot of rooms to clean, it can take a while before everyone is into their rooms.

DVC rooms are not as nice as the hotel rooms, although most of the BWV rooms have just been renovated so are looking pretty good. With DVC you get a queen and sofa bed rather than 2 queens. The kitchenette in the DVC is useful for having cereal or a sandwich. Transportation makes no difference. No daily housekeeping with DVC.

The biggest difference is that a DVC room will be at least half the cost or less of the equivalent hotel room.

At some resorts, there are also significant size differences. I am specifically thinking of the BLT Studio. If you have stayed in a Contemporary Standard Room, the difference is noticable -- CR is 394 square feet, a Studio is 314, and uses some of the space for a kitchenette.

I think there are only 2 major differences between hotel WDW stays and DVC stays: the housekeeping schedule and the rooms. You will not get housekeeping services every day. As far as the rooms go, if you are staying at a resort that has DVC rooms and regular hotel rooms, the DVC rooms will be a little further from the main lobby (kind of tucked out of the way). Also, the room set up is different. While in a regular hotel room you would have a king bed or 2 queens, in a studio you will have 1 queen bed and 1 queen sleeper sofa (and some resorts now have a pull down small twin). You will also have a small kitchenette.

There are of course differences on how you book, when you book, etc., but when you are on property, you are treated just like every other Disney guest.

In red above. Where did you get this idea? IMO DVC hallway is closer than BWI hallway from the center of the lobby.

The only major differences are the ones others mentioned. Housekeeping and the number of beds. The resort is divided into half regular Disney resort and half DVC with the lobby in the middle, so no the DVC rooms are not further from the lobby.

If you have requests your friend who is the member will have to add them. Also they will need to book Magical Express for you if you need it.

For me one of the big differences DVC makes is not so much in the accommodations, which is a huge difference especially once you get into the one and two bedrooms and no longer have to sleep with the kids, but in how I approach the vacation and enjoying the parks. Since you said you are considering buying DVC, this vacation pretend like you already own DVC. Try on a Disney vacation where you know you will be going back next year. See how this perspective changes everything you know about a Disney vacation. It's no longer hectic. You will no longer feel like you have to see everything because "this is the last trip for a while". Pool time or time spent over a leisurely meal no longer seems like a waste, but become completely enjoyable because you know you will be back. Don't feel like making rope drop this morning? No problem! You'll be back. That afternoon nap? Take it! Never actually been in all the caves on Tom Sawyers Island? Time to go explore!

The biggest difference for me is that Disney vacations are now truly relaxing and fun. So to truly get the DVC experience while you are there, plan and live your vacation as though you are 100% sure you will be back soon.

These responses were perfect! Thank you all so much. I am glad to see that there really aren't any "major" differences. I can deal with the mousekeeping and the pull out. I am truly hoping that we have a great experience this year, because I totally want to buy into DVC. Just have to convince the hubby and I think after reading your replies we are going to be well on our way. :)

One other thing to mention...laundry facilities. Guests who stay in 1/2 BR's have a washer and dryer in their unit. Those guests who are booked in DVC studios have access to a FREE laundry room. I have never stayed in a studio at BWV so I cannot help out with specific details, but I know that at AKL-Jambo, there is a laundry room for the hotel guests (not free) and a DVC laundry room that is "hidden" and has free machines. We have found that access to the laundry facilities is a great amenity and has really changed the way we plan and pack for vacation. We pack a lot less (mostly just carry-ons now) and find that it is very easy to do a few loads of laundry on vacation. It sure is nice to come home with bags full of clean clothes:goodvibes.

One other thing to mention...laundry facilities. Guests who stay in 1/2 BR's have a washer and dryer in their unit. Those guests who are booked in DVC studios have access to a FREE laundry room. I have never stayed in a studio at BWV so I cannot help out with specific details, but I know that at AKL-Jambo, there is a laundry room for the hotel guests (not free) and a DVC laundry room that is "hidden" and has free machines. We have found that access to the laundry facilities is a great amenity and has really changed the way we plan and pack for vacation. We pack a lot less (mostly just carry-ons now) and find that it is very easy to do a few loads of laundry on vacation. It sure is nice to come home with bags full of clean clothes:goodvibes.

We also discovered on our last trip that they have a laundry room website which tracks each washer and dryer and if they are in use and how long they have left. It was great to look at so you didn't have to lug all your laundry down there only to find all the machines busy. It also told you when your stuff was done so you could go switch it. Pretty spiffy!

We also discovered on our last trip that they have a laundry room website which tracks each washer and dryer and if they are in use and how long they have left. It was great to look at so you didn't have to lug all your laundry down there only to find all the machines busy. It also told you when your stuff was done so you could go switch it. Pretty spiffy!

That sounds awesome! Since we aren't actual DVC owners, just using a friends points, would we still have access to the laundry facilities?

That sounds awesome! Since we aren't actual DVC owners, just using a friends points, would we still have access to the laundry facilities?
Yes. The DVC laundry facilities are included for EVERYONE who stays in a DVC studio.

We have been DVC members for16 years, it is just me and my wife . We have stayed in a studio only once, usually get a one bedroom. Way more room than we need but we love it. Several times we have brought friends and will get a two bedroom and everyone has loved it. We own 200 points and are able to go for at least a week every year. My wife loves the fact there is a washer & dryer in the room, she will do laundry just before we head home so it is already done when we get back to reality. Some might say we are waisting points being just 2 of us and not staying in a studio but this works for us and makes it a great vacation.

For me one of the big differences DVC makes is not so much in the accommodations, which is a huge difference especially once you get into the one and two bedrooms and no longer have to sleep with the kids, but in how I approach the vacation and enjoying the parks. Since you said you are considering buying DVC, this vacation pretend like you already own DVC. Try on a Disney vacation where you know you will be going back next year. See how this perspective changes everything you know about a Disney vacation. It's no longer hectic. You will no longer feel like you have to see everything because "this is the last trip for a while". Pool time or time spent over a leisurely meal no longer seems like a waste, but become completely enjoyable because you know you will be back. Don't feel like making rope drop this morning? No problem! You'll be back. That afternoon nap? Take it! Never actually been in all the caves on Tom Sawyers Island? Time to go explore!

The biggest difference for me is that Disney vacations are now truly relaxing and fun. So to truly get the DVC experience while you are there, plan and live your vacation as though you are 100% sure you will be back soon.
Members since 1993. I could not have explained the magic of DVC better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter