• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time going since DVC, bought resale- Q

Bellex917

Mouseketeer
We have our first DVC trip coming up soon. We purchased resale. When you're at a store and they ask if you're a DVC member, do you just say no? I know at most stores/restaurants they ask "do you have an AP, DVC, or other discounts?" Seems silly to say "I have DVC but I'm not eligible" but I'm also sad to say "No, not DVC" when we are so excited to be member haha! What do other "ND" members say when asked? I do have a Disney Visa so I know where I get discounts for that, but just wondering what others say!

If they ask if you have any discounts, then the answer should be “I have my Disney Visa”.

Since they will ask to see your DVC card, which has ND, thst should alert them you are not eligible..what they do at that point is up to them.

I personally see no need to go into details since you know you do not qualify for them via DVC.

We have our first DVC trip coming up soon. We purchased resale. When you're at a store and they ask if you're a DVC member, do you just say no? I know at most stores/restaurants they ask "do you have an AP, DVC, or other discounts?" Seems silly to say "I have DVC but I'm not eligible" but I'm also sad to say "No, not DVC" when we are so excited to be member haha! What do other "ND" members say when asked? I do have a Disney Visa so I know where I get discounts for that, but just wondering what others say!

This is the worst!
We're also resale only and just went to WDW for the first time as a "DVC member" in April.

It was awkward, and I found it to be super frustrating at times. I was never asked if I "had any discounts", rather I was always asked "are you DVC?" When asked at the Polynesian gift shop, I said: "We're DVC but we're not discount DVC eligible." The cashier/CM gave us the discount anyway.

I found that stores in the park which participated in mobile checkout automatically gave us the discount via the app. To me, this just reinforced my theory that the DVC discount is really a promotional sale marketed to perspective DVC members as a benefit. I suspect Disney makes more money from increased sales than they lose from the discount.
Was it just a "bug" in the mobile app that doesn't distinguish between direct and resale?... I'm thinking unlikely. I suspect Disney doesn't actually care otherwise they would have coded the mobile app to not apply the discount in my case.

At Topolino's, the waitress asked if I was DVC. I said yes but I'm not the DVC that gets the discount. The waitress really insisted I give her our DVC membership number anyway. This was our first night there and I wasn't sure how to look up our number in the app - the waitress was like "let me show you"... and proceeded to show me how to find our DVC member number in the app, wrote the number down, and gave us the DVC discount.

Towards the end of the trip I waivered between just saying no when asked if we were DVC, to then getting upset that I should feel like I can't say I'm DVC (because technically, we are DVC) and just saying yes when asked. I don't recall anyone asking if I "had any discounts" - and I never asked for a DVC discount. It was actually a relief if they forgot to ask if I was DVC.

Honestly, it all left me a little upset. Disney decided to differentiate between direct and resale members but they didn't come up with a frictionless way to differentiate us when making payments (except for mobile purchases - where they apply the discount anyway!) I hated the uncomfortable feeling of being asked if I was DVC. Sure it was nice getting this discount when I wasn't expecting it but the money saved at a few places really wasn't worth the awkwardness of trying to explain to CM's that I'm DVC but not direct DVC (it seemed like many of the CM's didn't understand)... or the constant reminder that I was a "sub-class" DVC member. It was very un-magical.

My advice... don't feel guilty about getting a discount if it happens. Disney created this mess, it's on them.

Last edited:
When I added the member card to my phone wallet it gave me a card without any “Y” or “ND” indicator. Since the mobile app gives me discounts on mobile ordering and mobile checkout, when they ask if I’m DVC I always say “Yes, and I have the Disney Visa card too”. Then I show them my digital card and let them determine if I should get a discount or not. They almost always give me the discount.

If they would ask “are you a DVC full benefits member” or something similar, I would answer no. As kickstart said - this is really a mess, and mainly because Disney is trying to wring every bit of extra money they can. I’m definitely not going to worry about if they’re getting it right or not.

If the bar for qualification were still 50pts, I would’ve bought a direct 50pt contract for VDH, but at the current bar, there’s no incentive for me there.

It was awkward, and I found it to be super frustrating at times. I was never asked if I "had any discounts", rather I was always asked "are you DVC?" When asked at the Polynesian gift shop, I said: "We're DVC but we're not discount DVC eligible." The cashier/CM gave us the discount anyway.
Nice that the castmember provided you with the DVC discount.

Nice that the castmember provided you with the DVC discount.
100% - I was very appreciative of CM's who did this. I was never frustrated with any cast members (just frustrated at Disney for creating this situation) - really just uncomfortable at times when checking out.

Sometimes I would explain I'm DVC but not eligible for discounts (which half the time I did this I got a confusing look from the CM), and other times I'd just say yes so I didn't have to explain... which then also put a damper on the magic because I'd have seconds thoughts if I should have been more forthcoming. All said, there are bigger problems in the world, so "super frustrating" is super relative, in context of being lucky enough to be at the happiest place on earth :)

Personally I hope everybody is able to get the discount.

In the past some of us 'Y' people have not had it so easy with the discount.

I was at Kidani right after it opened and I went to their shop and purchased an item for $2.50 and was asked if I was DVC. Yes, yes I am. Up til that point a discount on a $2.50 item was not high on my priority list.

But, I didn't have my DVC card with me and they wanted to see it for me to save the 25 cents. It was the way I was denied that bugged me. It was as if I was lying to save 25 cents! So, even though the transaction was in progress, I said, just a minute or two, I'm going to get my card! And I made the long trek back to my room, got my card and came back and claimed my discount.

So, I'm actually happy each time someone gets the DVC discount without drama.

I'm trying to recall if I've ever been specifically asked if I'm DVC... We usually just get the "any discounts?" as opposed to specifically naming AP, DVC. Probably has happened, but the vast majority of the time for us it's just "any discounts" or they don't offer it up at all and we have to bring it up.

We were specifically asked if we were DVC members most mornings we had breakfast at Craftsman Grill at the Grand Californian. We were not DVC at the time but we are resale members now. I was wondering what we're supposed to do in this situation as well so I'm glad you asked.

I see people mentioning a DVC card with ND on it. Is this a physical card? If not, where do I see my card? Probably dumb but I have no idea.

Honestly, it all left me a little upset. Disney decided to differentiate between direct and resale members but they didn't come up with a frictionless way to differentiate us when making payments (except for mobile purchases - where they apply the discount anyway!)
It isn't your responsibility to train the employees of a 150+B company that has its technology strapped to your wrist.

If Disney cared about implementing this stupid distinction, they have a half dozen ways to do it correctly. If they ask if you are DVC, the answer is yes. It isn't your job to tell them which of the dozens of flavors of DVC they have created and can't manage.

I really appreciate that this thread was started because I am a new resale owner and have been wondering this very thing! Now that I've read all the responses, I agree that the way you are asked matters.

I think if I am asked "Are you DVC?" I will say "Yes" because it's true! And if they want to check my digital member card, they will see it says ND. If I am asked "Any discounts like DVC?" Then I will answer "No" or "No, I'm DVC resale, no discount benefit".

I agree it's not our job to explain Disney's cockamamie system to their own employees, especially if their mobile purchasing system doesn't even distinguish ND members!

We were specifically asked if we were DVC members most mornings we had breakfast at Craftsman Grill at the Grand Californian. We were not DVC at the time but we are resale members now. I was wondering what we're supposed to do in this situation as well so I'm glad you asked.

I see people mentioning a DVC card with ND on it. Is this a physical card? If not, where do I see my card? Probably dumb but I have no idea.
They only do virtual cards now. You can go to the disneyvacationclub site, and on the navigation menu click on “My DVC”, then click on “View My Membership Card”.

For a brief period (when the cards were introduced) it was just the blue card. Now there’s an “ND” added if you aren’t a “qualified” member, and some other designation if you are.

Glad I saved my card to my wallet before they added the designation.

I got no scruples. They ask if I’m dvc I say yes, up to them to verify correctly. If they ask to see something I pull up my mdp app and show the screen with dvc and d+ member info. Never asked to see the wallet card that shows nd so far. If they deny me I say ok and move on.

The mobile checkout giving the discount is nice though, hopefully that keeps working!

I feel the same way. When they ask are you a DVC member, I feel like I’m lying by saying no. If I say yes I feel as if I’m trying to get something I’m not eligible for. Make me sad it has to be that way.

I feel the same way. When they ask are you a DVC member, I feel like I’m lying by saying no. If I say yes I feel as if I’m trying to get something I’m not eligible for. Make me sad it has to be that way.
If you own DVC, you are a DVC member. Don’t feel bad about replying yes - it’s the truth. If they asked “are you a Qualified member l” or however they phrase it, I would answer no. But Disney, in their desire to find ways to sell more direct memberships (aka take more money from people at the expense of their ongoing customers) has created a difficult situation for themselves. No need to feel guilty about answering a question truthfully IMHO.

BTW - I used to just answer “resale DVC” to their question. But over time, I’ve gotten so irritated by the question, and by the fact that they’ve raised the qualifying requirement to 3x what it used to be, that I just answer yes and see what happens.

It's actually the Mobilemagic pass from the MDE (WDW app) that's saved in your phone's digital wallet. Its not built into the the Disneyland app yet so for now to enter places like the Starview Lounge you will pull up the pass on your phone. At Disneyland they actually scan the QR code to clear you but oddly not at WDW. We scan at Disneyland for our AP discount too so there's no question whether you qualify or not. At WDW the CMs just look at your pass and some will ask for ID and give you your discount.

The reality is resales save money to the buyer. Discounts save members a little bit of money. Those that buy resale choose the first and knew what came with it. There is no reason to be embarrassed. It is what it is. If resale members get a discount due to cast member confusion, I could care less.

As to any comments that blame Disney, resales are their competition. Just like a used car lot is competition to the dealer that sells new cars. They have to make it more attractive to buy new and pay more or they would go out of business. If DVC can't sell new contracts, it is bad for everyone, both direct and resale. Everyone has to remember that DVC makes no money off of resale members, they are not their customers.

Last edited:
We also got asked if we were DVC constantly on our last trip. It was our first DVC trip and we were resell purchasers. The first few times we explained we were DVC but we’re eligible for the discount and caused confusion with the CM. We finally gave up and just started saying yes and let them figure things out. Since that last trip are at all night us yet and we bought direct and annual passes. So we’re loaded up with all the discounts now and I am looking forward to not having to feel awkward each time I’m asked on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter