First time hiring car (alamo) please help :)

Adrii

Earning My Ears
Hi All
Travelling for a week in September and hiring a car for the first time.

As I have never hired a car before I have so many worries and questions! (I do apologise for the below, im such a worrier)
So.. we have found a good deal through virgin holidays with Alamo.
I think airport pick up should be pretty straight forward. It comes with GPS which is good, and comes with 1 free tank (I assume this means we can return it empty).

My worry is returning the car before our flight back.
We are leaving HNL at 8am and then going to Vegas with Hawaiian airlines.

Drop off opens at 5am, but I like to be at the airport super early, so will have to drop off ourside of the opening hours. How does this work? Is it pretty easy? Im worried that they will charge me loads of extras and I wont be there to dispute them!

Also, what time do the shuttles start? Will I be able to get a shuttle or will I be stuck there until they start running.

My other option, is to drop the car off a day earlier, then when I need to come back for my flight a few days later either get an uber/lyft or book a transfer. But worried here that there wont be ubers so early (or they will cost so much), or that the transfer wont pick us up!

HELP :)
If anyone got this far... Sorry and thank you :)

Adrianne

Your best bet is to ask the agent when you pick it up about after hours drop off. They should be able to give you specific instructions, let you know about any extra fees etc. Shuttles might be an issue though. Hopefully the agent can advise.

Dropping off a day early would waste valuable vacation time and money. I would eliminate that option.

If you’re worried about charges for damage etc take pictures inside and out when you pick it up and when you drop off. But it’s very unlikely they would try to claim damages that didn’t actually happen.

Also ask about gas, most companies ask you to bring it back with a full tank but you can purchase an option to bring it back empty (of course it will be cheaper to fill it up yourself.)

But honestly a 5am drop off should give you plenty of time for a 8am flight. Understood if you have special circumstances but try not to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Take a picture of the mileage on the dashboard which will also show where the gas level is as well.

Bring a copy of your car insurance coverage with you. Use a credit card that has rental car coverage. You can call your insurance company for more information.

Enjoy your trip!

No need for a shuttle at Honolulu airport the rental cars at in a garage attached to the airport you just walk over. 5am return would give you plenty of time to before your 8am flight. If you don’t fill up the tank before bringing it back you will get charged about $2-3 more than the going rate for gas and the cost for a whole tank. There’s a shell gas station under the overpass for the airport that’s east to get to to fill it up and go right to the rental car return.

Most airlines suggest arriving at HNL 90 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Drop your car off at 5a should give you more then enough time

Thank you Lewisc

Yes im from UK and it includes a full tank, so I can bring it back empty.

If you are worried about damage to the car, I have bought rental car insurance as a standalone rider from Allianz. This is also an option on Hotwire as part of the checkout. It's inexpensive and is supposed to be better than what the agencies offer. Never had to use it, but it is an option you can price out.

Alamo has a location which requires a shuttle.

I believe OP is from the UK a full tank of gas and waivers are generally included with the rental. Sometimes a third party, sometines part of rate code and occasionally priced a la carte.

Advice we use isn't applicable.

Edited to add a link to Alamo
https://www.alamo.com/en/car-rental-locations/us/hi/honolulu-international-airport-36l1.html
You do not need a shuttle to get to the Alamo desk. The rental garage is attached to the airport now.

I've had to return a rental car before the business opened on one of my vacations. I was told to drop off the keys in the drop off box. I did take a photo of my gas tank level and photos of the outside of the car for my records.
Everything worked out fine, so I wouldn't worry too much. Call the rental company to ask them where to drop off the key when you arrive.

The HNL customs line is always so long, so I tend to get there a few hours before the flight boarding time (I also have an incentive to get there early to hang out in the Plumeria lounge). Last month when I was there, there were two separate groups of families that had to cut in line to make it to their gate.

Alamo's own website says to get the rental car shuttle.
You take a shuttle from terminal 1
You walk from terminal 2 or 3.

OP should post in the UK section for further questions. Posters in this thread don't understand the differences affecting UK renters.

If you have a charger that fits in the cigar lighter socket bring it. The USB ports on cars don't always have enough amps to do a good job charging.

As a general rule all the extras offered by rental agencies are either not needed or can be better purchased elsewhere.

Will you have US cell data? A smartphone with Google maps will be as good, or better, then Alamos GPS.

Last edited:
A new rental car center opened a few years ago, making it easier to get to the rental cars at HNL. It's a 5-15 minute walk from terminal 1 to terminal 2. It was quicker for us to walk from terminal 1 to the rental counter than it was to wait for the shuttle.

You take a shuttle from terminal 1
You walk from terminal 2 or 3.
The way Alamo has it, terminal 1 requires a shuttle and so does the international arrivals part of terminal 2. They don't even mention terminal 3.

"From Terminal 1, baggage claims 1-11 (Hawaiian Airlines): Please exit baggage claim and proceed to the center median (follow blue Rental Car Center Shuttle signs). Board the Rental Car Center Shuttle. Once you arrive at the Rental Car Center, please proceed to the Alamo Rent-A-Car counter on the 2nd floor.

From Terminal 2, International Arrivals and baggage claims 16-20: Please exit baggage claim and cross over to the center median (follow blue Rental Car Center Shuttle signs). Shuttle stops are located in the center median of baggage claim 18 and 20. Upon arrival to the Rental Car Center, please proceed up to the 2nd floor where the Alamo Rent-A-Car counter is located.

From Terminal 2, baggage claims 21-31: Please exit the building. Once outside, please follow the blue Rental Car Facility signs and cross the street at Baggage Claim Crosswalk #'s 26 or 31 to the Rental Car Facility and proceed up to the 2nd Floor to the Alamo Rent-A-Car counter."

Alamo's own website says to get the rental car shuttle.
Yes, there is a shuttle from the terminal that Hawaiian Airlines is in. It is possible to walk it, but it is a bit of a hike. You might have to call them and ask about off hours returns and how to get to the terminal.

I should have been using my reading glasses.

A short without luggage could be a pain with luggage
Eh, terminal 3 is just for Mokulele anyway, right? I don't think that applies here!

On the HNL website, I found this:

"Shuttle bus service is provided during the daily operational hours of the facility, from 0400-Midnight."
http://airports.hawaii.gov/hnl/getting-to-from/ground-transportation/car-rentals/

So, @Adrii, if you drop your car off any time after 4am, then you should be able to get a shuttle to your terminal in the event that you don't want to walk with all of your luggage.

Last edited:
Airport pickup will be easy. Some companies are in the parking deck attached to the terminal, and others use a shuttle bus.

Check the fine print on the free tank of gas. Some car companies allow you to prepay and return the car on low fuel, which might be included in your package.

For after hours drop off, there is just a long row of spaces and a key drop box at the airport. Record the mileage and fuel level before you lock the car and drop the keys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter