First time in 25 years I’ve regretted coming on the first day of Christmas

DizneyMommy

Every Day is Disneyland Day!
I don’t even have the words for what today has looked like at the park. Disheartened, disgusted, frustrated. The way that the blogger/vloggers and personals shoppers have affected the parks for families is just ugly. I have NEVER seen it this bad or to this extent. First day of Christmas and most of the holiday offerings were gone from the mobile order system in the first 30-60 minutes of park opening. Some locations held back some inventory for standby but the lines were excessive and no guarantee it would still be there by the time you got to the front.
Everywhere we looked were people sitting with a multitude of food dishes photographing them with phones on tripods, recording their vlog, taking up space and supply to make money off the parks at the expense of families there to enjoy their visit. The personal shoppers and eBay sellers carrying huge shopping bags full of popcorn buckets and sippers.
My kids look forward to sampling treats on the first day of Christmas and to not even be able to get anything for this reason is just super disappointing.
Aside from that, it’s like some bizarre dystopian world with all of the people walking around with phones or cameras on gimbals recording themselves talking. Seriously put the dang thing down while you walk! Some of us are really freaking tired of getting bumped into by you or having to watch a parade or fireworks through your camera screen.

While I place a hefty amount of the blame on people greedily reselling items or trying to make money off blogging about the parks, Disney could have mitigated some of the issues.

One item per admission. Period. Scan the ticket, no more for you.

Don’t put a large bulk of the popular treats in one location, spread it out already! Jolly Holiday was ridiculous. People used mobile order prior to the park even opening to order one of everything, thus completely wiping out the days inventory. Too easy for them to clean out the items if it’s all in one place.

Crack down on the dang selfie sticks, tripods, gimbals and extended microphones. It’s pretty obvious what they are doing.

I really hate to let these people alter the way I visit, but honesty this was not the enjoyable start of holiday tradition we’ve had for the past 25 years.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve written many letters and spoken to many Disney executives about this topic. It’s ridiculous.

Every time there is a seasonal opening, ride opening, new popcorn bucket, fill in the blank…the Parks are overrun with “influencers”. They ruin the show and ruin family vacations for kids. I’ve seen it first hand and as someone that worked for The Mouse House, it kills me.

Disney can absolutely find the right balance, but are they willing to?

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve written many letters and spoken to many Disney executives about this topic. It’s ridiculous.

Every time there is a seasonal opening, ride opening, new popcorn bucket, fill in the blank…the Parks are overrun with “influencers”. They ruin the show and ruin family vacations for kids. I’ve seen it first hand and as someone that worked for The Mouse House, it kills me.

Disney can absolutely find the right balance, but are they willing to?
It’s like a living episode of Black Mirror

I agree with you. I -hate- influencers. They are a waste of park space and I hate all the things the parks do for them just for the publicity. I agree with the comment above, it's like that one episode where the girl bites the cookie for the picture but then doesn't even eat it.

Blame Disney...they create this fake scarcity to build hype and artificial demand for their benefit at the expense of the park attendee. They could 100% have enough stock to supply everyone resulting in no value for the resellers but they are playing the game for pure marketing purposes.

Welcome to the new in park experience.

I agree with you. I -hate- influencers. They are a waste of park space and I hate all the things the parks do for them just for the publicity. I agree with the comment above, it's like that one episode where the girl bites the cookie for the picture but then doesn't even eat it.
You may hate it but it is 100% free advertising and publicity for the Mouse...

That is why they the refurbed the Castle a while back to be more "Instagram Friendly"...I'm not kidding....

You may hate it but it is 100% free advertising and publicity for the Mouse...

That is why they the refurbed the Castle a while back to be more "Instagram Friendly"...I'm not kidding....
I am unsure what your comment is supposed to lead to. Yes, duh it's free publicity, it's why they invite them and do special events for them only. Doesn't make me hate them any less.

Even if they have enough supply you would would still have the vloggers rushing in at the start so they can get that content created when there is anything new. Not sure how they solve that or if Disney would even want to.

Even if they have enough supply you would would still have the vloggers rushing in at the start so they can get that content created when there is anything new. Not sure how they solve that or if Disney would even want to.
It wouldn't. The only way for it to stop would be if normal ppl stop feeding the leeches. Like so many other Disney related problems, the public is encouraging it.

Yeah I think Disney purposefully keeps holiday food items scarce to make it seem like this huge deal. They could easily have plentiful but they choose not to so it makes it more omg i got to go and get everything. Unfortunately you have to plan ahead now, and as crappy as it sounds you should have probably mobile ordered way earlier to get something. It sucks, I hate influencers but Disney will never ban vlogging in the parks (I know Tokyo Disney has, but I think that it's run by a different company right?) because its free advertisement and the influencers are encouraged to do it because they get invited to special events. I put the blame on Disney.

We are here today too. We don’t normally come on the first day for anything because I can’t stand the grabbing but I wasn’t paying attention when we booked our reservation. It’s pretty bad. I saw one guy walking around with 10 popcorn buckets around his neck. We’re semi-local Keyholders and I’ve had an AP since I was old enough to hold a ticket. I lasted 2 hours this morning before I headed back to our hotel with the baby. It really sucked the life out of what is normally a really fun time of year.

This is exactly what Disney wants. They'll sell more food and merch this way.

Tokyo Disney scans tickets to enforce one per item. Tokyo and Hong Kong Disney do press events with the food so the big influencers can get all their photos from that and not need to compete with everyone to get the items. They also have dedicated media boxes for shows and stuff as well as a schedule for the press and media to meet characters, etc so that the big influencers are consolidated rather than getting in everyone else's way.

Yeah I think Disney purposefully keeps holiday food items scarce to make it seem like this huge deal. They could easily have plentiful but they choose not to so it makes it more omg i got to go and get everything. Unfortunately you have to plan ahead now, and as crappy as it sounds you should have probably mobile ordered way earlier to get something. It sucks, I hate influencers but Disney will never ban vlogging in the parks (I know Tokyo Disney has, but I think that it's run by a different company right?) because its free advertisement and the influencers are encouraged to do it because they get invited to special events. I put the blame on Disney.

As far as Tokyo Disney banning vlogging is concerned, this is a misunderstanding by English sources. Every single Disney park has banned commercial photography for years but never enforced this and Tokyo Disney is exactly the same way. A very minor edit to the wording on the Tokyo Disneyland page earlier this year led to many English sources claiming that Tokyo Disney has banned vlogging when nothing has actually changed. So either all the Disney parks ban vlogging or none of them do depending on how you interpret the rules vs the enforcement. But Japanese guests are much more polite compared to American guests so at Tokyo Disney, local vloggers will be far less apparent than the obnoxious American vloggers.

As I read this thread of yet another disappointed visit, I feel bad for those visiting the parks.
Disney has really OUT DONE THEMSELVES by allowing the current INFERIOR status of the parks.

At one time Disney was the Gold Standard for theme parks. Now it has turned in to a Black Hole.
We know what Disney can be and what people are experiencing during their time in the parks is so sad.

I was an AP holder for many years. I would take 3-5 day trips several times each year,.
However, after my last trip in Feb 2022, Disney has lost my business until I hear of improvements to park experiences.

Last edited:
Ugh. I wish vloggers and Influ-stupiders would be limited to media previews only. I am there tomorrow with my youngest and thankfully he is not aware of any of the Christmas-specific things (other than Mickey gingerbread, which didn’t make his top 3), so I’m gonna zig when they zag and put my blinders on.

I didn’t realize how negatively all the content regurgitators were affecting me until I took an Instagram break. Everything is a hustle it feels like. I have unfollowed or muted almost all of them.

I’m truly a Pollyanna but lately I really want to do something horribly embarrassing the next time someone is doing a play by play commentary in my face. Guess my villain mode is engaging. 🤣

This disney FOMO thing with bloggers/vloggers is seriously an issue and in fact i unfollowed many many of them after coming home from our trip. It was impacting MY mental health feeling like I was always missing something amazing and special... when it is just FOMO.

Casey from disneyland daily actually recommends folks don't come on the first day anymore.. its one reason I still follow and respect her platform.

I have noticed that Disney seems to have plenty of stock these days... I got grumpy today on facebook when a reseller had something posted for way more than it costs and its available on shop Disney RIGHT NOW for regular price and free shipping so I said something to them. Almost everything seems to make it online quickly these days and not sell out.. folks just can't seem to be patient.

We went today and it was a complete nightmare. Social media has absolutely ruined the park experience on these types of days. The lines for popcorn were unreal….. I’m talking 60 minutes to get a popcorn bucket. My six year old kept begging me for popcorn…. Not the bucket, just regular popcorn and I kept telling her no because the lines were crazy long. We rode 3 rides today. THREE. And we were literally standing at the rope by 7:35. I mobile ordered all of our food- lunch and snack- on the Toy Story bus at 7:15am…. And even at that time the return time for Jolly Holiday was 11:40!

The lines for food today were just ridiculous…. If you didn’t mobile order ahead of time, you were spending at minimum 30 minutes in line for food. People started lining up for the parade 2.5 hours in advance.

Now- we were completely expecting these crowds. I wasn’t expecting the popcorn bucket insanity…. I mean they aren’t even that cute, but we were expecting the other craziness, so we were prepared to not ride much, and i was prepared with mobile order. We tried to enjoy the decorations but honestly it was so crowded you couldn’t really even look at anything. 😂

We’ve never been on day 1 of Christmas and my kids didn’t have school, so now we’ve checked that box and we’ll never do it again. There were some positives…. We took some great magic shot photos with friends, and had some great character interactions, and the gingerbread cookies and rice crispy treats were great. But I cannot imagine being a tourist and coming today…. What a terrible park experience.

Last edited:
We went today and it was a complete nightmare. Social media has absolutely ruined the park experience on these types of days. The lines for popcorn were unreal….. I’m talking 60 minutes to get a popcorn bucket. My six year old kept begging me for popcorn…. Not the bucket, just regular popcorn and I kept telling her no because the lines were crazy long. We rode 3 rides today. THREE. And we were literally standing at the rope by 7:35. I mobile ordered all of our food- lunch and snack- on the Toy Story bus at 7:15am…. And even at that time the return time for Jolly Holiday was 11:40!

The lines for food today were just ridiculous…. If you didn’t mobile order ahead of time, you were spending at minimum 30 minutes in line for food. People started lining up for the parade 2.5 hours in advance.

Now- we were completely expecting these crowds. I wasn’t expecting the popcorn bucket insanity…. I mean they aren’t even that cute, but we were expecting the other craziness, so we were prepared to not ride much, and i was prepared with mobile order. We tried to enjoy the decorations but honestly it was so crowded you couldn’t really even look at anything. 😂

We’ve never been on day 1 of Christmas and my kids didn’t have school, so now we’ve checked that box and we’ll never do it again. There were some positives…. We took some great magic shot photos with friends, and had some great character interactions, and the gingerbread cookies and rice crispy treats were great. But I cannot imagine being a tourist and coming today…. What a terrible park experience.

I rode 2 rides - Matterhorn and It’s A Small World. My husband and daughter were able to do more but it was too overwhelming for the baby and I. My daughter wanted a regular popcorn too!! The lines for every single snack booth in DL were so insane. We bought the crappy pretzel and goldfish snack pages from a shop because I couldn’t deal with waiting that long for a snack. And I was there to eat all the things today!

On the plus side, DCA wasn’t too bad. This is the first time I’ve ever seen the festival booths not mobbed with people. It was surprising.

I can’t imagine being here as a tourist on vacation. Hopefully the madness doesn’t extend into the weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter