• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time in Key West - Need Everyone's Favorite Shops, Bars & Restaurants

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
Just looking for recommendations from everyone for first timers regarding Key West. Our plan is to do a couple tourist things like the Truman museum and southernmost point (and maybe the lighthouse). Otherwise we just want to walk around and soaking in the town. I know my wife wants to get a piece of Keylime pie somewhere as well. Any bars, restaurants, shops that are everyone's favorites that we should check out as well?

Thanks in advance for the help!

When we visited Key West while on a Disney Cruise we ate lunch at the Hogs Breath Saloon off Duval Street. Nothing fancy but
we all enjoyed it. The restaurant has a web page with a live camera. Check it out to see what it looks like. Wherever you decide, enjoy!

For those of you who are Parrot Heads, there is a Jimmy Buffett cheeseburger in paradise to be found on Duval Street, and he has a new resort hotel right next to Mallory Square. There is Captain Tony's bar, a half block off Duval, there are more stores full of tourist goods than you can shake a stick at. There are shops for Key Lime Pie, and anything else you would like to find. I like Key West! We get down there every few years for a long weekend of good food and drinking. Oh, speaking of good food. If you like Cuban, there is a great Cuban restaurant called El Siboney Restaurant on Catherine St that is NOT to be missed.

Try and pick up a piece of frozen key lime pie. It is a large piece of frozen pie covered in chocolate, on a stick. Kermit’s is a major source.

We walked to the end of Duval street to the southernmost point and butterfly house. Walking back we stopped at Margaritaville for lunch and over to Kermit's key lime pie for dessert. Then we walked to the aquarium and checked out the shops at Mallory Square.

The Butterfly Conservatory is great for kids of all ages. They have some unique items in their shop, too. And you walk out with a free butterfly sticker that looks great on a Christmas tree, or indoor plant.

Hemingway’s house with its 50+ cats is great. If you are lucky, your guide will share his or her passion for the writer with you, and he will come alive - flaws and all. Head’s up, no credit cards accepted.

If you are around for sunset on a clear day, Mallory Square, which is very close to where the cruise ships dock, is a great place to see the show. Just do not stand near the sword swallower. He has a nasty side to him. Cut him some slack though, because he is a Vet.

If you have the time, just walk along Duval St. - think of Bourbon St in New Orleans. And along the boardwalk, too.

Ride a trolley to get a flavor of the place and catch some local history.

Food
Though a couple of blocks from Duval St., Blue Heaven - on Thomas St, is a wonderful and reasonable place to eat. Great food and drinks, and artisan breads. And if you sit outside, the massive Spanish lime tree in the center of the eating area has really sweet fruit, if you find any. This is also the place where Hemingway refereed local boxing matches, back in his day. The usually have musicians playing during lunch and dinner.

Not too far away on Petronia St, check out Santiago’s Bodega. Excellent tapas, an inventive menu, and great wines.

I wish I could remember the name of our favorite place for Key lime pie - it is something like Casablanca, I believe. It is on Duval St., and you eat on the porch of a huge home now used as a hotel. I believe it is across the street from Willie’s? restaurant or bar.

Blue Heaven has the most amazing Key Lime Pie we have ever tasted.
The outside area is so nice, we were there in February and it was cool and crisp. The grandkids played ping pong with a couple other kids there.
There were 8 of us, we ordered and entire pie and had a blast.

I haven't been in Key West yet (I'll be there in April)... But Blue Heaven & Kermitt's Key Lime Pie are definitely on my schedule!

Hemingway’s house with its 50+ cats is great. If you are lucky, your guide will share his or her passion for the writer with you, and he will come alive - flaws and all. Head’s up, no credit cards accepted.

My question may sound stupid but... Can you see the Cats from the outside? We don't know much about Ernest Hemingway and don't know if we are going to have the time to do the museum but we are very curious about the cats!

Margaritaville for cheeseburgers is a must. It is the first one of many in the Buffett empire. If you are real, real lucky, Jimmy might be there. Sometimes he gives free concerts in the middle of Duval. Good luck!

Good day to stay on the ship. Unless you like buying t-shirts, mugs, key chains, etc and love bar hoping.

My question may sound stupid but... Can you see the Cats from the outside? We don't know much about Ernest Hemingway and don't know if we are going to have the time to do the museum but we are very curious about the cats!

I do not remember seeing any cats until I climbed the steps to the front porch. But the brick wall that surrounds most of the property would limit your ability to see any that would be outside.

Blue Heaven has the most amazing Key Lime Pie we have ever tasted.
The outside area is so nice, we were there in February and it was cool and crisp. The grandkids played ping pong with a couple other kids there.
There were 8 of us, we ordered and entire pie and had a blast.

Lol. Not once have I tried their Key lime pie. I am usually too full to get to dessert. I guess I need to start with dessert.

Oh if you go to Margaritaville for a burger, try a "Loaded Landshark"... Landshark Lager in the bottle, with a good sized shot of Lime Tequila poured in on top. I always put my thumb over the opening and then invert the bottle to make sure the Tequila is mixed with the beer. Trust me, a couple of those will even out your mood!!!

We are huge fans of Santiagos Bodega. Excellent tapas and drinks. It’s fun to head to the fort and visit the beach there too

My favorite "bar" is the Porch on the corner of Caroline and Duval. Nice craft beers, good wine selection and very comfortable. Not rowdy.

Favorite restaurant is next door - Caroline's - excellent southern gulf food.

Kermit's for pie, and buy a bottle of juice to take home with you!

Perhaps. We were in Key West on Sunday and saw 2 or 3 while walking by the house. They looked like cats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter