First Time Runners - No Proof of Time

I just realized i neglected to answer the original question. I did a half in the fall to get a proof of time. It will definitely help if the marathon is as hot as this past one. The sooner you start the race, the earlier you can finish, and the cooler the back half will be. Hope this helps.

Ah yes the original question! I believe I saw we had until November to email them the info. They would confirm it and then assign a corral. I also think I saw somewhere that you can use records from the year 2012 too. I am going to wait until the last minuet. I have a race in a few weeks and then quite a few more begining in Sept. I will pick out the best one of course.

I was assigned to coral H this year and that really stunk...litterally! I was the very last to cross the start line in the half and the only people behind me were the balloon ladies. My goal would be to move up a few corals and hopefully make it to E but would love D.

Bephus, we appreciate the time you put into your post and the info you shared with us. I'd like to take some time to answer a few of your questions.

Yes, we are aware of the time demands, and we realize the hours we will need every weekend. It's ironic, because we never would have even thought we would be able to do this if we hadn't seen the training program Disney posts on the website, and heard Jeff Galloway say in a video that with his program you can safely run a marathon after 6 months of training. Clearly not everyone agrees with that.

Yes we have worked out for more than 2 hours in a day. Yes we have worked out consistently for more than a year. And Christmas is not a concern - having had to work on Christmas Day the past two years can attest to that. As a hockey ref I've had to be on the ice for 14 hours straight, skating end to end. I can't imagine the physical toll of a marathon can be far off from that. Ever worn skates for that long?

I'm also not sure where I said we didn't have a training plan - are we naive to think the one provided by Disney would not be sufficient for the race that Disney is holding? Just to make things crystal clear, we currently run Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun, with a longer run Saturday and a timed Run-Walk on Sunday. If that isn't a sufficient plan, there's a reason we're here looking for advice. As for the trainer, I was specifically speaking to a physical trainer at a gym - I have no idea what a running coach costs but will definitely look into it.

We will not be bowing out as we will be completing the race. We appreciate all the information we've gotten from this thread, but definitely want to apologize to some of the long time runners as we definitely get the vibe that we've offended them. We like to dream big and wanted to go big - we love Disney (obviously) and couldn't be more excited to get as much Disney in as we could. If the fact that we weren't going to make any excuses to not participate in a full 4 days of magic offended anyone, we're sorry.

Haas4Concern & goofeygirl, really appreciate the tips and will put them to good use!

Yes, we are aware of the time demands, and we realize the hours we will need every weekend. It's ironic, because we never would have even thought we would be able to do this if we hadn't seen the training program Disney posts on the website, and heard Jeff Galloway say in a video that with his program you can safely run a marathon after 6 months of training. Clearly not everyone agrees with that.

The problem isn't training for a marathon in 6 months that we are discouraging you from. If you were simply doing the marathon I would be all on board to help with tips and such. However, you will be doing a Marathon, half marathon, 5K, and 10K all in one weekend. That is very different than simply running one marathon with only 6 months of training.

The biggest problem will be delay onset muscle soreness. It will be very important to stretch and cool down after each race.

You also should probably stay away from the parks until after the races. You don't want to walk all those miles right before you need to run a long distance.

As someone else pointed out even Galloway is caution about Goofy and no one knows what he thinks of the Dopey challenge.

Hey there, DW and I are all registered for the Dopey Challenge but as we have no official races under our belt we don't have a proof of time to submit. Now, we aren't too worried because we aren't going to be "racing" - we certainly don't want to come in last, but we also want to enjoy the run and have no desire to sprint to the finish.

The dilemma then (as it will be our first time at any runDisney or official event) is do we:
A) find a local race just to get a proof of time to submit so we aren't in the last corral
or
B) just follow our training program and don't worry about the proof of time?

We have no issues being in the back, just worry that if we do run the race in 5 hours we might really be held back by large crowds or be constantly trying to get around people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

To answer the last part of your question: I was in the back...I mean the back in both the half and full.
Mostly you will get around just fine however there are some areas that I cannot recall exactly where - where you will have minimal movement. There was an area where I bascially had to do the pace of the slowest person without me crossing beyond the barriers placed. Sometimes the roads narrow such as the exit or entrance ramps and you are in the middle of the crowd there with miminal movement.
I don't think it would have mattered what coral I started in - except the A coral - at some point you will be 'stuck' for a short while. No worries. Think of being in the middle of Manhattan at Christmas time during rush hour and trying to weave in and around the crowds of people...kind of like that....but you will be fine.
The worse thing I saw was right after I crossed the start line a fellow was apparently side swept by another over excited runner and he fell. He went over to the side of the road on the median where he was being tended to and I don't know what happened after that.

I think what has people concerned is the fact that the OP and DW will be running the Dopey.

What exactly does the OP mean by running?

My PR for a Full is 4:43:45 with the first half walking and the second half more walking than jogging. My PR for a Half is 2:11:12, again only with walking.

Does the OP feel they will be able to run all events in the 8:00mpm pace range or a 10:00mpm pace? The term running is subjective. I am still working towards the day I can run. For me, that would be completing a half and/or a full with a 8:30mpm pace. Anything greater is only a jog or a speed walk.

A lack of proper training for speed can result in injury. The injury can cause down time and that messes with the training plan.

My training is bicycling-first, walking/jogging second and swimming-third since I am now involved in triathalons. Back and forth on the ice for long periods of time is not easy.

I encourage the pair to train properly/wisely and I think things can go well as long as SPEED takes a back seat to fitness for the distances.

McFlurry John

The problem isn't training for a marathon in 6 months that we are discouraging you from. If you were simply doing the marathon I would be all on board to help with tips and such. However, you will be doing a Marathon, half marathon, 5K, and 10K all in one weekend. That is very different than simply running one marathon with only 6 months of training.

The biggest problem will be delay onset muscle soreness. It will be very important to stretch and cool down after each race.

You also should probably stay away from the parks until after the races. You don't want to walk all those miles right before you need to run a long distance.

As someone else pointed out even Galloway is caution about Goofy and no one knows what he thinks of the Dopey challenge.

This is it, exactly. A new runner can finish a marathon in 6 months, even if it will be ugly. I would be VERY surprised if OP makes it to marathon Sunday.

ETA: JohnVN, 2:11 and you WALKED the whole thing? VERY impressive. My half PR is 2:10 and it was running pretty damn fast for me!

I think what has people concerned is the fact that the OP and DW will be running the Dopey.

What exactly does the OP mean by running?

My PR for a Full is 4:43:45 with the first half walking and the second half more walking than jogging. My PR for a Half is 2:11:12, again only with walking.

Does the OP feel they will be able to run all events in the 8:00mpm pace range or a 10:00mpm pace? The term running is subjective. I am still working towards the day I can run. For me, that would be completing a half and/or a full with a 8:30mpm pace. Anything greater is only a jog or a speed walk.

A lack of proper training for speed can result in injury. The injury can cause down time and that messes with the training plan.

My training is bicycling-first, walking/jogging second and swimming-third since I am now involved in triathalons. Back and forth on the ice for long periods of time is not easy.

I encourage the pair to train properly/wisely and I think things can go well as long as SPEED takes a back seat to fitness for the distances.

McFlurry John

Good advice. We certainly aren't expecting to "run" the entire distance, or all 4 days. Maybe that's why everyone is so cautious. Like I said earlier, we're already practicing a run-walk style, alternating to not burn out or over exert.

roomthreeseventeen: we look forward to seeing you on that sunday morning!:)

I would be VERY surprised if OP makes it to marathon Sunday.

i agree with this. BUT, i think if i were the OP and reading all these posts i would make it my mission to prove us all wrong! i had quite a few people tell me i was nuts for doing the marathon and one gal in particular told me there was no way i'd be able to finish after my injury in november and it put me on a mission to get that medal.

i bet OP and his wife get the dopey. will it hurt like a mo'fo' though? you betcha.

i agree with this. BUT, i think if i were the OP and reading all these posts i would make it my mission to prove us all wrong! i had quite a few people tell me i was nuts for doing the marathon and one gal in particular told me there was no way i'd be able to finish after my injury in november and it put me on a mission to get that medal.

i bet OP and his wife get the dopey. will it hurt like a mo'fo' though? you betcha.

LOL! This exactly. Now we just need to make some shirts with a witty slogan for race day. Something like "What's more Dopey? This race, or us being here?"

The term running is subjective. I am still working towards the day I can run. For me, that would be completing a half and/or a full with a 8:30mpm pace. Anything greater is only a jog or a speed walk.

You are right when you say the term running is subjective. Personally, I would find it really insulting and dismissive if someone told me I was "only jogging" because my running is slower than an 8:30 pace. I will likely never be able to run that fast, and I don't think that makes me less of a runner.

I assumed when the OP said they were "running Dopey," they meant they were planning on participating in and completely the challenge, not that they were planning on running it at a certain pace.

To the OP, though I agree that this will be a big challenge for you and your wife, I think you have taken the advice and criticism offered to you here in an extremely positive, receptive, and polite manner. I look forward to seeing you report back here on January 12 and show us your medals. Good luck!

LOL! This exactly. Now we just need to make some shirts with a witty slogan for race day. Something like "What's more Dopey? This race, or us being here?"

:rotfl: I'm a new runner myself. I started in December as well - did the couch to the 5k and am now halfway through Galloway's 10k program. I'm not going to offer advice since I am not experienced enough, but I'm here to follow along and feed off of some of your dedication and enthusiasm!

So far my longest run has been 6.5 miles and I did two virtual races to get a feel for timing myself (one 5k and one 10k). I have my first real 5k on Sunday and okay, maybe I have one bit of advice..when I signed up for it as a motivator in January, I was super excited. And I have been super excited. And now a week out, I'm a little nervous...will I know the etiquette, will I know how to "pinch and grab" the water cup (I won't actually need it in a 5k, but I need the practice), will I be able to run/walk/run without upsetting other runners, will I be able to pace the way I do in practice, etc. This is just a little local 5k, but all these things I never thought of until now are creeping up. So basically, if for nothing else, I would suggest signing up for a few local races just to get the jist of it.

Looking forward to following your journey!

You are right when you say the term running is subjective. Personally, I would find it really insulting and dismissive if someone told me I was "only jogging" because my running is slower than an 8:30 pace. I will likely never be able to run that fast, and I don't think that makes me less of a runner.

I assumed when the OP said they were "running Dopey," they meant they were planning on participating in and completely the challenge, not that they were planning on running it at a certain pace.

To the OP, though I agree that this will be a big challenge for you and your wife, I think you have taken the advice and criticism offered to you here in an extremely positive, receptive, and polite manner. I look forward to seeing you report back here on January 12 and show us your medals. Good luck!

Thank you! We're really excited not only for the races, but for the journey we're embarking on over the next 9 months!

I think some of the comments on here will only motivate the op's to push for this big time.
You either go one of two ways...say to yourself...I can do this and I will prove to you all it can and will be done!
Or you can say ... gee, these people scared me away from doing this so I will just forget it.

I think the op will have their Dopey medal and have decent times.

The op and his ice hockey have reminded me to pull my quad roller skates out. Now thats a workout! I may look like someone from 1977 but its a great way to work the muscles.

McFlurry John

I find your statement here extremely insulting. You do realize only the top 20% of runners run 8:30s or less right? That there is a reason this is near boston qualification territory right? I can run a 5k at about an 8:00 to 8:15 pace right now. On flat I can run a half at about 8:45-9:00 pace and it took me a long time to get there. On hills I run about a 9:20-9:35 pace. I ran my last training run today for a flat half in 3 weeks. I ran a gentle 13.1 in 2:06 (9:36 pace) and it had 2000 feet of climb do you think I jogged that? Are you saying I'm walking or jogging? Who the hell are you kidding? I'm consistently in the top 30% of runners fort he last year! In triathlon my strongest leg is the running leg. In my half iron I had people I passed in the water finish their bike ride 30 minutes ahead of me for me to pass them on the run and complete 20-30 minutes ahead of them. That is how fast a 9:20 pace can be in the running world. I worked really damn hard starting with a 12:00 something pace when I first started running. I'm going to shell out a ton of money this year with a coach to try to 1 finish my first marathon this fall with rheumatoid arthritis, and then Qualify for Boston next year before my joints completely crap out on me. At my age bracket thats a sub 3:35 or roughly an 8:10 pace. That is insanely fast I will likely be in the top 15% of the field I finish in to qualify if I dont go out of my way to go to a race notorious for qualifiers. Furthermore that would put me in the elite category of runners in many races at that point. You do realize there is a reason most races have more corrals for runners over 10 minutes right? The average pace of a runner is about 10-11 minutes a mile. Many people run walk these days and keep a pace of 12-14 minutes a mile. Very few run a sub 9 let alone bellow an 8:30.

Wow some of the comments are crazy! I thought the WISH board was here to encourage each other! Instead some of the nasty elitist runner only attitudes are popping up. My husband and I are also doing dopey and we have only ran in 2 half marathons. I have no doubt we will finish( by walking, running or crawling) and OP I know you will do it too! Don't let all the negative voices that have been saying you'll never be able to do this, you have no business even attempting this and your insulting the sport of racing get in your head! Get a good training program and listen to what your body is saying and you will do great!!!

FWIW, I am not elitist, at all. I run a six hour marathon. I just don't like it when people don't respect the distance, get injured, don't bother to learn how to participate in races before their first marathon, etc.

Wow some of the comments are crazy! I thought the WISH board was here to encourage each other! Instead some of the nasty elitist runner only attitudes are popping up. My husband and I are also doing dopey and we have only ran in 2 half marathons. I have no doubt we will finish( by walking, running or crawling) and OP I know you will do it too! Don't let all the negative voices that have been saying you'll never be able to do this, you have no business even attempting this and your insulting the sport of racing get in your head! Get a good training program and listen to what your body is saying and you will do great!!!

Not an elitist by any stretch. I haven't even done a half marathon yet just 10 miles and less. I was on track to do my first half mile and then full this year but got injured pushing myself too hard and now have to take some time off to make sure I don't do more damage then I've already done.

I am not am elitist and I was not nasty to the OP, I was realistic. I am not going to blow sunshine up his rear just because he wants it. Running this race is going to be hard work and he needs to be aware of it.
OP, I am glad you think you are prepared. I will beg to differ. I was trying to give you help as a fellow runner who wanted you to succeed without injury or burnout. I am not a sugar-coater, I say things the way I see them and if that comes across as b*tchy, I apologize.
I truly hope you and your wife find a good running coach to help you develop a personalized plan for your journey and that you have a fun and successful Dopey. GL.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I find your statement here extremely insulting. You do realize only the top 20% of runners run 8:30s or less right? That there is a reason this is near boston qualification territory right? I can run a 5k at about an 8:00 to 8:15 pace right now. On flat I can run a half at about 8:45-9:00 pace and it took me a long time to get there. On hills I run about a 9:20-9:35 pace. I ran my last training run today for a flat half in 3 weeks. I ran a gentle 13.1 in 2:06 (9:36 pace) and it had 2000 feet of climb do you think I jogged that? Are you saying I'm walking or jogging? Who the hell are you kidding? I'm consistently in the top 30% of runners fort he last year! In triathlon my strongest leg is the running leg. In my half iron I had people I passed in the water finish their bike ride 30 minutes ahead of me for me to pass them on the run and complete 20-30 minutes ahead of them. That is how fast a 9:20 pace can be in the running world. I worked really damn hard starting with a 12:00 something pace when I first started running. I'm going to shell out a ton of money this year with a coach to try to 1 finish my first marathon this fall with rheumatoid arthritis, and then Qualify for Boston next year before my joints completely crap out on me. At my age bracket thats a sub 3:35 or roughly an 8:10 pace. That is insanely fast I will likely be in the top 15% of the field I finish in to qualify if I dont go out of my way to go to a race notorious for qualifiers. Furthermore that would put me in the elite category of runners in many races at that point. You do realize there is a reason most races have more corrals for runners over 10 minutes right? The average pace of a runner is about 10-11 minutes a mile. Many people run walk these days and keep a pace of 12-14 minutes a mile. Very few run a sub 9 let alone bellow an 8:30.

While I agree that no one should be disparaged because of their pace, I do have to point out that, for a male under the age of 40, an 8:30 pace is not terribly fast. It's speedy, but unless you are very young, very old, or the race is very small, it won't get you any age awards, and probably won't put you in the top 20%.

Looking over a couple of non-WDW marathons I have done (because WDW has one of the higher median finishing times), for men, a 3:40 finishing time doesn't break the top 20%, though it may break the top 30%.

I agree that it's a good idea to corral people according to speed. I wish Disney did it better, but it is one of the reasons I will probably never run the Tink or the Princess - because I do not want to be corralled with runners who are an hour or more slower than I am. It's dangerous and frustrating.

Anyway, to yank back onto topic - I think a lot of people are trying to want the OP that it will not be easy, and the race may very well not be fun, just because going from 2-3 miles to the Dopey in the course of a year, even with the Galloway method, is a tough challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter