First time solo trip! Eek!!!

cnico2012

17 visits to date...
I will be heading down to DW in October for a family trip, and then heading down again January 3rd - January 6th for a solo trip.

What is it like soloing DW? I am a big DAW fan and have never been there solo. Seems kind of odd to me since I have been to the parks about 3 times a year from New Jersey and have never even considered a solo trip. Who here has done this and what do you suggest? Does anyone here have meet ups? Thanks!

I have been on a number of solo trips and enjoy them almost as much (if not more) than trips with others. If you aren't used to travelling solo or eating solo, I would suggest you practice at home somewhere you are comfortable first. I've had one meet up with another Disboard member but otherwise I just go with the flow. I find going solo gives me more time to enjoy things I wouldn't otherwise enjoy because I might be worried about my travel partner getting bored. You eat when and where you want to eat, you ride or don't ride what you want. You can stop and sit on a bench and just look at the details for as long as you want, you can ride ToT over and over and over and over and over as many times as you want. I've been asked to be the designated adult on a ride that only allowed 2 per seat but the parents had 3 kids, no way to evenly divide two parents so they asked me. I've struck up conversations in lines with other people who were on the ride solo and ended up riding with them then both of us going about our day. I've had great conversations with wait staff in restaurants and have even had the chef come out to my table more times than I want to admit because they found out I was solo and wanted to make sure I was enjoying myself. Go, enjoy and don't forget to stop and relax some.

I'll admit, it is sometimes odd to ride by yourself or meet characters alone - especially as a guy. But the nice thing is you can ride single rider and if anyone ever asks, I just say I'm there with my wife, but she's off with the kids riding Nemo or something. Avoids the awkwardness. Or tell them you are a local - that works too. For meals, especially dinner, I tend to stick to places with bar service and eat there. Places with TVs where you can sit alone and watch a game or something. On the positive side, you don't have to answer to anyone. I tend to spend a lot of time at World Showcase shopping and talking to the cast members learning about their home countries.

Gone solo twice and ever trip with family, I always make time for just myself and those solo trips and "me time" have been some of the best times in WDW. I love being able to wake up as early as I want, get ready and head out for the morning at whichever park I feel like going to, riding as many rides as I want and just going at my own pace. I take an afternoon break and relax at the pool and just enjoy the resort, and then head back to a park at night until close. I find my solo trips are much more relaxing since I have no one else to worry about. I just got back a few weeks ago from an amazing trip with family.. I had a nice Southwest credit to use by Feb, so I booked myself a solo trip for 2/2-2/7 and booked my flights. So excited for my third solo trip!

I did it last year and had a blast. Last year I was down for a paintball tournament and none of the other folks wanted to go with me, so I went alone. This year, I didn't invite them :) . I think going alone makes using the Park Hopper pass easier. I know from past experiences, moving around from park to park with a group was almost impossible.

I've been twice solo and am going again solo in November and I love it! Actually, the time I convinced a friend to come was my least favourite; we just wanted to do opposite things and it meant me accommodating most of the trip. Take your time, work on your own schedule, and do everything that you want to do! I love the freedom of doing whatever I want. I never find eating by myself an issue at Disney either. The waiters are always extremely nice and helpful. I'm a planner so I like to make lists of things I want to do, but that's just me. Just remember that you have nobody but yourself to answer to!

I went on my first solo trip last December, and had a fantastic time -- I even went over to Universal one day, as I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I don't mind eating by myself, so meals were not a big deal, and I loved having the flexibility to do what I wanted to, when I wanted. My DH is not a huge Disney fan, so he'll grudgingly come with me once every few years, but I'm an early riser and he's not, and I love to close down the parks. I ended up going solo because I couldn't find anyone to go with me and I wanted to see the Osborne Lights one more time, and it turned out to be awesome!

I may do another solo trip next year.

It is my dream to do a solo trip, but I come from England so would need to come for an least a week (we usually do 15-17 days every December as a family). The flights are not cheap and I would want to stay in WDW, so add a hefty single supplement, which bumps the price up again. So the nearest I get to a 'solo' trip is staying in the park when everyone else leaves for the resort, or eating where 'I' want to, rather than going with the majority. I am not a rebel, or a loner, I just want to make the most of every minute in WDW :yay:

It is my dream to do a solo trip, but I come from England so would need to come for an least a week (we usually do 15-17 days every December as a family). The flights are not cheap and I would want to stay in WDW, so add a hefty single supplement, which bumps the price up again. So the nearest I get to a 'solo' trip is staying in the park when everyone else leaves for the resort, or eating where 'I' want to, rather than going with the majority. I am not a rebel, or a loner, I just want to make the most of every minute in WDW :yay:

There is no single supplement for rooms like in Europe. WDW resort rates are for the room, so you'd pay the same rate whether you had one person or two persons in the room.

I will be heading down to DW in October for a family trip, and then heading down again January 3rd - January 6th for a solo trip.

What is it like soloing DW? I am a big DAW fan and have never been there solo. Seems kind of odd to me since I have been to the parks about 3 times a year from New Jersey and have never even considered a solo trip. Who here has done this and what do you suggest? Does anyone here have meet ups? Thanks!

I've been solo 3 times and will be doing my 4th solo trip in March, and have done multiple trips with the family. I've never done a meet up, mainly because I've never been there at the same time as someone from this forum.

Personally, I prefer the solo trips as I have more flexibility, can move faster and easier through crowds, go where I want and when I want, stop and take a break when I want, eat when and where I want, etc. I like to arrive early, something I can't get the family to do, and get in most, if not all, of the rides I want within a couple of hours, then catch a few shows, browse the shops, and then head to another park. If I'm staying on property I will usually take a break mid-afternoon to return to the room and rest up a bit, before returning to the parks for round 2.

I like to get the park hopper option as this gives me more flexibility. I'll visit one park in the morning, and another in the evening. The next day I change it around. Sometimes I find I'd rather be at another park than the one I'm at, so I just hop on the Monorail or bus and make the change.

I usually make a couple of ADRs, mostly for restaurants the family doesn't like to do, but for the most part just grab a bite at a QS when hungry, or see if there is room at the bar. I don't mind dining alone. Gives me time to relax, plan the next phase of my day, or do a little reading (I always have a book with me when I travel alone).

No one is going to notice or care if you are solo. For all they know, you're just temporarily separated from your family.

Highly recommend taking one of the behind the scene tours. I did the Keys to the Kingdom at MK a few years ago and it was a definite highlight of my trip. These are for adults as they reveal how some of the "magic" is done.

I don't do the character meets, but if I encounter a character along the way, I'll usually wave and enthusiastically greet them. Have to let the inner child out occasionally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter