• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time to Disneyland! What would you do first?!?

WDWFANCBIIIME

DIS Veteran
Hi all, in less than 2 weeks I will be headed to Disneyland for the first time ever! I've been to WDW more times than I can count (I also did the DCP there) as well as 3 Disney Cruises so needless to say I am thrilled to have a brand new Disney Experience in the place where it all started!!!

We will hopefully arrive around lunchtime check into the Disneyland Hotel and then head to one of the parks -
So my question is; What would be your first; Attraction (in Disneyland and/or DCA) and Quick Service Restaurant???

These can be your favorite or ones that you think are the most "Disney"

Thanks in advance for your input! I can't wait to see what everyone has to say!

If you hadn't been to WDW, I would say Pirates is a great ride for first timers. But, since you have, I'd go with Indiana Jones! It is one of my favorites AND unique to DL! Also, don't miss the new Paint the Night parade and Disneyland Forever fireworks show. That being said, our Pirates, Space Mountain, and Fantasmic are all better than Disney World's - so don't miss these either! At DCA, of course RSR (and all of Cars Land), California Screamin', and World of Color.

For a WDW frequenter, it would have to be something you don't have there. At DL, it'd be Matterhorn or Indy. At DCA, it'd be RSR, which is by far the most immersive ride DLR has created in years.

If you decide on DCA then I would look to Flo's Diner in CarsLand. RSR will be hard to ride as the lines will be long and FPs probably gone by noon. They do have a single rider line so that may be an option for you. But I do not thin splitting your group on the first ride would be a good idea.

So, I would recommend seeing CarsLand but skipping RSR until another dday when you can get a FP. That leaves California Screamin as a good first ride as the line rarely gets that long and it also has FP where the return window is usually 40 minutes away. So you could get a CA Screamin FP then go have lunch.

But if I were you I could not resist heading to DL first. And I agree Indy would be at the top of the list for you - but again will likely have FP still available but the window will be evening by that time. The standby line may be tolerable (45-60 minutes) and I would be tempted to just do the standby for your first ride. POTC is another good option and the line rarely gets over 25 minutes at peak.

Other options for a first ride at DL would be Matterhorn - but lines will probably be 30-45 minutes by then. It is hard to pick something unique that will have reasonable line at noon.

For quick service at DL I would say Plaza Inn is a good choice.

:wizard:

Pirates! I hear it's better at Disneyland anyway! And then you can hit the French Market (or Plaza Inn if you don't care for the FM menu) for the first quick service.

We always do Pirates first as well. Perfect attraction to get you into the full Disney experience, plus it's so much better than the WDW version. I would definitely start at Disneyland. DCA is fun and all, but it certainly can't compete with the original park.

Either Pirates or Indy for the first ride at DL. Quick Service: Bengal BBQ by Indy or French Market by Pirates

At DCA, RSR (single rider) or Soarin. I haven't eaten at Flos. I love the lobster nachos at the Cove Bar.

This is kind of random but our first ride the last two trips has been the jungle cruise! That tradition will be changing my next trip though because we'll have EMH to take advantage of.

I agree with others that POTC or Indy are great first choices if the lines aren't too long!

If you do POTC first, make sure to go through Adventureland so you can grab fastpasses for Indy on the way.

That is hard because you'll be arriving during the peak of the day. I can't argue with any of the choices you've been given. With my friends, we usually start with Indy, then hit Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, and Big Thunder in that order and avoid the worst of the lines. But that's being there at park opening. You'll hit lines, but the idea of hitting Indy (or getting Fast Pass for it) and then Pirates is still good.

Pirates in DL is twice the ride it is in DW. Literally. You can time it. So be sure you hit it at some point during your visit.

How many days are you going to be there for?

We arrive on a Sunday around lunchtime so once we are sorted at the hotel and had lunch, our plan is to go into DL and ride the train. That's always my first fave thing to do. We will be incredibly jetlagged after consecutive flights totalling 23 hours though so we are happy to just take in the view and enjoy the atmosphere.

I'm an Orlando Local with an AP, and former CP and CM (just so you know where I'm coming from). I would DEFINITELY go to DL first...both parks are GREAT, but it's so magical to walk under the train station and feel so familiar, and yet so different. Then, as others have said, something uniquely DL.....Indy, if the wait isn't too bad, or the Matterhorn. Definitely ride Pirates (a couple times if you are a fan!!) as it is so much longer than 'ours'. As far as lunch? Adventureland is my favorite theme both at DL and MK, so Bengal BBQ is always a must do for me. Grilled meats and Veggies? Yes Please!
Have a GREAT trip!

Pirates and Village Haus. The DLR versions are, in my opinion, much better than WDW. They will set the tone for the rest of your trip.

Thanks everyone!! We will be there 3 nights or appx 2.5 days and are staying at the Disneyland Hotel so I definitely plan on taking advantage of the Extra Morning Hours - With only being there for a short time I really want to take advantage of everything I can!

Our first night we have reservations at Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic Dinner Package - Night two we have Napa Rose Chef's Table and Night 3 we have Carthay Circle World of Color!

Our first night we have reservations at Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic Dinner Package - Night two we have Napa Rose Chef's Table and Night 3 we have Carthay Circle World of Color!

Great set of reservations!

I'll echo a few others and say Matterhorn should absolutely be first, since there's no real comparison to another ride in WDW. The pirates is different and should definitely be done but I'd knock out Matterhorn first as it's line can get very long. As for first to eat at, one morning and one lunch you should definitely do at Flo's over in DCA, it's our favorite quick service across all WDW and DL. The corndog stand on main street I'd also highly recommend as there's none quick like them in WDW.

With only being there for a short time I really want to take advantage of everything I can!

Don't worry too much, we often spend a full week at WDW and feel like we've missed things. 3 days at DL and we feel like we've covered everything pretty well.

You've made great reservations! I definitely suggest waking up early for rope drop when you are able. It may be early, but it is totally worth it! The park is very empty early in the morning. Although, the last time I was at the park, Peter Pan had a 40 minute wait within 5 minutes of the park opening. So it may be difficult to see the new refurbishment for that ride. Once it gets crowded later in the day, it can be fun to do simpler rides that are classics. Like the original small world here or the train that Walt loved so much in Disneyland, or small rides in DCA (the specific rides are escaping my mind at the moment) are fun things to enjoy when the bigger rides have long lines. Of course single rider is always a great option. It has saved my family and I a lot of time.

That is hard because you'll be arriving during the peak of the day. I can't argue with any of the choices you've been given. With my friends, we usually start with Indy, then hit Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, and Big Thunder in that order and avoid the worst of the lines. But that's being there at park opening. You'll hit lines, but the idea of hitting Indy (or getting Fast Pass for it) and then Pirates is still good.

Pirates in DL is twice the ride it is in DW. Literally. You can time it. So be sure you hit it at some point during your visit.

I like this order!! If we are there at park opening next week, will there be a long line by the time we get to BTMRR?

I like this order!! If we are there at park opening next week, will there be a long line by the time we get to BTMRR?

Depending on how crowded it is its possible it maybe longer than when the park opened. However, Frontierland is usually pretty empty in the mornings. Though I believe that WDW's BTMRR is better, just because of the amount of space in Florida. But it is still an amazing ride here. If you are really afraid of a long line, you can always get a fast pass.

So if you arrive midday and are doing DCA, what order shd you do and can fastpasses be obtained at that time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter