• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FIRST TIME TO WDW! HELP

Which to visit twice on 1 trip with kids?

• Animal kingdom

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Magic kingdom

Votes: 41 89.1%

• Total voters

joseph brady

Earning My Ears
So let me start off by saying I am not new to the Disney parks game or strategies. We live in SoCal and have been passholders for years. We are finally taking our dream vacation to disneyworld next week. Looking for any advice that would be beneficial taking in to account that we are not total newbies except we are dealing with a way bigger park. We also have 5 day passes so we have to visit 1 of the parks twice. We will have 2 small kids so I decided early on to have our second visit be magic kingdom but I am now second guessing myself since it is similar to Disneyland and maybe I should have chosen animal kingdom...

Go with MK and then change it up if your kids fall in love with Animal Kingdom? However, if your kids are small, I'm guessing MK will be the right choice, unless they really enjoy animals. Just remember you are going to get a lot more tired at WDW than DL, so pace yourself in MK your first day and then go from there. You might also choose to check out the monorail hotels or something similar to give yourself a break during one of your MK days.

Most people can get everything in Animal Kingdom done in one day. I keep an excel sheet with the list of rides and shows offered in each park. Magic Kingdom has somewhere around 30 rides and shows, each of the other 3 parks has between 12-15. So it’s a lot harder to get it all in one day at Magic Kingdom. If your kids are small, there are more rides that are not thrill rides at which Kingdom as well.

It will really take 2 days to do Magic Kingdom anyways. That is why I am totally insane and do every trip 10-12 days long that why way my family does every park 2 days and at least one day of rest/shopping.

It will really take 2 days to do Magic Kingdom anyways. That is why I am totally insane and do every trip 10-12 days long that why way my family does every park 2 days and at least one day of rest/shopping.
Yeah we are doing 10 days and 5 are at the parks so we have a good amount of rest/pool/shopping days. Appreciate the advice

2 days at MK
1 Day Hs
1day AK
1 day Epcot is the best plan, and the one we always use.

You could spend 2 days at Epcot, but not because of rides. Exploring World Showcase fully is a 2 day affair, one day for rides and one day for country hopping. But if they kids are not into the history, culture and diversity yet, and want to just hit rides, then Epcot is one day.

Definitely MK! There are so many rides there for all ages - way more than any other park! Plus once you add in characters, the parade, shows, fireworks, there's no way to fit it all in one day! Also, if you're there for 10 days, think about adding extra days onto your ticket. It's usually a small increase in price, then you can go for partial days if you'd like and rest in the afternoons.

This is a tough one for me. We have done WDW 3 times now and just did DL for the very first time in June. Normally when we plan a lengthy family WDW Trip, we split MK into 2 days, cutting the park down the middle, doing one half each day. Our recent visit to DL had us fall in love. We felt that for most duplicate rides/experiences, DL had higher quality, smoother, more immersive experience than WDW. Doesn't mean WDW is bad in any way, but that with so much space and options at WDW, there is more of a quantity vs quality dynamic in addition to DL resources on congested SoCal being focused more on upkeep/maintenance than expansion.
So, you MAY find that duplicated rides/attractions may be a bit lesser of an experience than you are used to. That being said. Take full advantage of the quantity factor. There is so much more available to do. While in MK, try to do the things that are different than in DL. That might also mean preparing your feet for larger scale between lands.

We were last at WDW for a 12-day trip over Thanksgiving and our next family trip won't be until 2021. However, in the meantime, we have a quick 2-day visit before a DCL cruise and my wife is surprising my middle son with a just-the-two-of-them trip for about 4 days in October. With five of us ranging from 7 to 15 currently, we find that longer trips allow us to intersperse break times and go at slower pace and experience different things away from everyone else's bustle. It is significantly more expensive this way, but that's why we can only do that with a few years break in between.

Honestly, the more I think about it, really look at what your kids would love about the other parks to see where you may want to spend more time, especially DHS. The FP+ system can be great for some things and harsh for other things. Epcot and DHS are tiered while MK and AK are not. This means that the higher profile rides at the tiered parks, especially DHS, are limited in choice. Choosing DHS for 2 days instead of one MAY provide a better opportunity to experience Toy Story Land more completely. However, the same can be said about Epcot, too. That just depends on your kids interests: Toy Story, Frozen, Star Wars, etc. If princesses are their thing, then I still wouldn't rule out a second MK day, including maybe a meal at Be Our Guest or Cinderella's Royal Table.

Hope this helps give some thoughts or direction.

Just some thoughts comparing the size and available attractions at the parks. Also, the demographics of DL being significantly more locals allows those to come and go as they please, able to come back another day. At WDW, this percentage is significantly lower, with most people doing a trip like yours - once every few years, and trying to get as much in and as much right as they can. So while most Disney fans are nice and respectful, you may want to mentally prepare yourselves for some who feel entitled to get what they want because of how much time and money they put into planning the perfect trip. IOW, people can suck sometimes. So, you CAN set this up to overcome some of this if you spend your MK day leisurely experiencing the differences from DL, but especially the nighttime show. We have always found AK to be the most relaxing for us as a family. This is probably due to the lower number of thrill experiences and more streetmosphere than the other parks.

Take your time, soak it in, do what you can, and think of things to plan for your next visit. On your next visit *wink*, plan more non-park days, where you can also do lots of fun activities at different resorts (some free, some paid) or even just explore the various resort theming, amenities, restaurants, etc. Those are great ways to break up the rush-rush of busy park days.

Most of all, enjoy!👍

This is a tough one for me. We have done WDW 3 times now and just did DL for the very first time in June. Normally when we plan a lengthy family WDW Trip, we split MK into 2 days, cutting the park down the middle, doing one half each day. Our recent visit to DL had us fall in love. We felt that for most duplicate rides/experiences, DL had higher quality, smoother, more immersive experience than WDW. Doesn't mean WDW is bad in any way, but that with so much space and options at WDW, there is more of a quantity vs quality dynamic in addition to DL resources on congested SoCal being focused more on upkeep/maintenance than expansion.
So, you MAY find that duplicated rides/attractions may be a bit lesser of an experience than you are used to. That being said. Take full advantage of the quantity factor. There is so much more available to do. While in MK, try to do the things that are different than in DL. That might also mean preparing your feet for larger scale between lands.

We were last at WDW for a 12-day trip over Thanksgiving and our next family trip won't be until 2021. However, in the meantime, we have a quick 2-day visit before a DCL cruise and my wife is surprising my middle son with a just-the-two-of-them trip for about 4 days in October. With five of us ranging from 7 to 15 currently, we find that longer trips allow us to intersperse break times and go at slower pace and experience different things away from everyone else's bustle. It is significantly more expensive this way, but that's why we can only do that with a few years break in between.

Honestly, the more I think about it, really look at what your kids would love about the other parks to see where you may want to spend more time, especially DHS. The FP+ system can be great for some things and harsh for other things. Epcot and DHS are tiered while MK and AK are not. This means that the higher profile rides at the tiered parks, especially DHS, are limited in choice. Choosing DHS for 2 days instead of one MAY provide a better opportunity to experience Toy Story Land more completely. However, the same can be said about Epcot, too. That just depends on your kids interests: Toy Story, Frozen, Star Wars, etc. If princesses are their thing, then I still wouldn't rule out a second MK day, including maybe a meal at Be Our Guest or Cinderella's Royal Table.

Hope this helps give some thoughts or direction.

Just some thoughts comparing the size and available attractions at the parks. Also, the demographics of DL being significantly more locals allows those to come and go as they please, able to come back another day. At WDW, this percentage is significantly lower, with most people doing a trip like yours - once every few years, and trying to get as much in and as much right as they can. So while most Disney fans are nice and respectful, you may want to mentally prepare yourselves for some who feel entitled to get what they want because of how much time and money they put into planning the perfect trip. IOW, people can suck sometimes. So, you CAN set this up to overcome some of this if you spend your MK day leisurely experiencing the differences from DL, but especially the nighttime show. We have always found AK to be the most relaxing for us as a family. This is probably due to the lower number of thrill experiences and more streetmosphere than the other parks.

Take your time, soak it in, do what you can, and think of things to plan for your next visit. On your next visit *wink*, plan more non-park days, where you can also do lots of fun activities at different resorts (some free, some paid) or even just explore the various resort theming, amenities, restaurants, etc. Those are great ways to break up the rush-rush of busy park days.

Most of all, enjoy!👍
This is not quite correct. AK is also tiered for fastpasses - the Pandora rides are Tier 1 and the rest of the rides are Tier 2.

Yeah we are doing 10 days and 5 are at the parks so we have a good amount of rest/pool/shopping days. Appreciate the advice
Well, then, you can just eliminate an entire paragraph of mine. :) Ha! Actually, depending on how/where you got your tickets, you may find it cost efficient to add more ticket days. By doing so, you give yourself flexibility to go back to a park just for a fireworks show if your kids got tired early and you had to miss it. Or if you are visiting/exploring a resort near a park, you can duck in for a meal or just see something you may have missed, just for an hour or two. The price per ticket day goes down the more ticket days you have. When we get to 7-10 days or so, it's only 20-40 bucks sometimes to add a park day. Look into that. It provides flexibility and the opportunity to increase your FP+ chances, especially for tiered parks like Epcot and DHS. You don't have to spend all day there. Half-days more times can be helpfully relaxing too.

This is not quite correct. AK is also tiered for fastpasses - the Pandora rides are Tier 1 and the rest of the rides are Tier 2.
Yup, you're right. I suppose my brain just was thinking Pandora and then everything else. Sorry about that mishap. Still, mostly, AK is fairly wide open, since Navi River Journey standby line is not nearly as long as Flight of Passage.

So let me start off by saying I am not new to the Disney parks game or strategies. We live in SoCal and have been passholders for years. We are finally taking our dream vacation to disneyworld next week. Looking for any advice that would be beneficial taking in to account that we are not total newbies except we are dealing with a way bigger park. We also have 5 day passes so we have to visit 1 of the parks twice. We will have 2 small kids so I decided early on to have our second visit be magic kingdom but I am now second guessing myself since it is similar to Disneyland and maybe I should have chosen animal kingdom...

OP, have you installed My Disney Experience on your phone(s) so that you can access FastPass+ for your family? It sounds like you maybe haven't made any FPs at all for your trip? Especially if this is a once-in-a-lifetime dream trip to WDW, making good use of FP+ would definitely help to ensure that the trip is as magical as it can be!

OP, have you installed My Disney Experience on your phone(s) so that you can access FastPass+ for your family? It sounds like you maybe haven't made any FPs at all for your trip? Especially if this is a once-in-a-lifetime dream trip to WDW, making good use of FP+ would definitely help to ensure that the trip is as magical as it can be!
Came here to say this - if he hasn't decided on a park yet it makes me nervous for him!

Came here to say this - if he hasn't decided on a park yet it makes me nervous for him!
Goodness, I missed the whole "next week" mention in the original post. I hope he also is not expecting a Maxpass-type system at WDW like at DL. With THAT, you can get FP for virtually any FP-eligible ride once you tap in...which is not like the pre-booked FP+ of WDW. I feel bad in advance and just hope that expectations can be altered to account for it.

If you are there for 10 days, I would definitely do more than 5 park days. I guess it's a little late because you would be limited to what fastpasses you could get at this point, but you will miss quite a lot with only 5 park days. If this is your big park trip I'd add more days into the schedule and maybe do some early nights/mid-day breaks instead of that many rest days. Also, keep in mind the weather in Florida is all over the place this time of year. While the pools are heated, if its a high of 59 degrees next Tuesday, it won't be fun getting in and out of a pool.

If you are there for 10 days, I would definitely do more than 5 park days. I guess it's a little late because you would be limited to what fastpasses you could get at this point, but you will miss quite a lot with only 5 park days. If this is your big park trip I'd add more days into the schedule and maybe do some early nights/mid-day breaks instead of that many rest days. Also, keep in mind the weather in Florida is all over the place this time of year. While the pools are heated, if its a high of 59 degrees next Tuesday, it won't be fun getting in and out of a pool.
Agree with this too. We've done 9 days and buy tickets for each day because they get so cheap after a week. If you don't use them no biggie, but it's good to have.

Park was already chosen to be MK. Dining was all made 180 days out to include a night at Victoria and Alberts. Fast passes were all made for all parks as well. Just coming down to the last week made me re think my selection of MK twice since we don’t have an animal kingdom in Cali and i know Epcot and DHS are small ish and don’t have as many little kid options as the other 2. No Disney rookie here!

Agree with this too. We've done 9 days and buy tickets for each day because they get so cheap after a week. If you don't use them no biggie, but it's good to have.
We would do more park days but I’m also trying to fit in some golf and pool days

Goodness, I missed the whole "next week" mention in the original post. I hope he also is not expecting a Maxpass-type system at WDW like at DL. With THAT, you can get FP for virtually any FP-eligible ride once you tap in...which is not like the pre-booked FP+ of WDW. I feel bad in advance and just hope that expectations can be altered to account for it.
All plans were made well in advance. Was just debating if i made the wrong choice to doing MK twice opposed to animal kingdom since Disneyland is so similar to MK. But we already have fast passes that were made the second I was able to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter