First-Time Trip Planning: A Couple Questions

SeattleRedBear

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>An old floorboard c
DHB and I do bigger vacations for birthdays ending in '5' or '0' and I have a '5' coming up next year (Sept. 23, 2014). So figured this is the year we do TDR. DHB is not enthusiastic about going to Japan but I've reassured him that it's primarily a "Disney" trip and they see enough foreigners that it shouldn't be too difficult. I had a year of Japanese as an undergraduate and have started working on it again...won't be fluent at all, but should be able to say enough of the right kind of words that we can get around OK.

Luckily, I've got miles saved up and there's a direct non-stop between Seattle and Haneda so the flight's taken care of (schedule's a bit wonky...we arrive at Haneda at 11:30 PM).

First question. I haven't seen anything explicitly stated, but I assume for a 4-day park hopper, the 4 days have to be done in a row? I know about the restrictions about hopping on first two days.

Second. We're looking at do this as comfortably budget as we can. I found Hotel MyStays Maihama. 10-minute walk to DisneySea and they offer a shuttle to Maihama station (and there are also buses that run regularly to the station). Early booking specials start at 8700Y/night (which strikes me as a *really* good rate). TripAdvisor reviews look good. Anyone know anything about this hotel? Are there other decent hotels comparably priced and as convenient?

Third. We'll probably be in Japan for a week. Unless we decide we must ride on a bullet train (just to say we've done it), we'll probably stay in the Tokyo area. Would it make sense to stay 4-5 nights in Maihama and then move to someplace more central for another night or two? I'm thinking it would be easier to not change hotels but the flip side is we're taking a 30-45 minute train ride to do any sightseeing. Thoughts?

Lastly. Looks like the end of September is still pretty reasonable weather (we're from Seattle, cool and rain doesn't bother us). Are there are special events or holidays typically around that time that we should know about?

TIA! Much appreciated.

PS. DHB and I are both big men (6'5" 260-270 lbs) so I know we will be stared at a lot. One of things DHB is not looking forward to (fitting into small seats, etc.)

I'm curious about why your DHB doesn't want to go to Japan.....

I was 'kind of' in the same situation, but I wound up loving it so much that we returned three years later.

In terms of budget, just be aware that many hotels in Tokyo have, in addition to regular-size double rooms (which are already small compared to the US), a super-small double room for less money. So what seems like a bargain can be a very tight squeeze.

I'm curious about why your DHB doesn't want to go to Japan.....

Part of it is the height thing...standing out...being the center of attention at times (and the awkwardness when chairs are too small, etc.). Part of it is not knowing the culture (he's always careful to do the 'right' thing to not offend). We've been to Europe about a dozen times over the last 18 years and he knows not to wear shorts in a church, always greet a French shopkeeper, always make a restaurant reservation in Paris, raise your glass when it's getting poured to get the host to stop pouring (in America we indicate with a hand signal), always look a german in the eye when toasting, etc. He knows none of that for Japan. And also the language is sooooo different. Between us we have one romance, germanic and slavic language covered so we can usually communicate in some form. He's a picky eater (which is a tough one when you can't communicate although the plastic food will help there). And finally, he's just not drawn to that area of the world to have invested any time in learning about it. I think he'll be fine when we get there...it's just getting him there will be some work.

In terms of budget, just be aware that many hotels in Tokyo have, in addition to regular-size double rooms (which are already small compared to the US), a super-small double room for less money. So what seems like a bargain can be a very tight squeeze.

Thanks for the heads up. The hotel website has pictures and descriptions of each room class so I think we're OK there. One of the TripAdvisor reviews commented that the bathrooms were small, but we've done that before with 1* hotels and B&Bs in Europe, so we're used to that.

So where did you go and what did you see?

I don't have anything to add as far as answering your questions because I'm in the middle of planning my first trip too, but I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning that hotel-- I hadn't run across it yet in my research, and it looks like a nice, very affordable option. You may have just cut my hotel costs in half. ;)

You're welcome. Looks like the early booking special isn't always 8700Y so we'll see what the rate is when we can book our dates. But it definitely looks like a good budget option.

the Japanese are extremely gracious and will not for a moment make you feel uncomfortable about protocol. You will quickly realize this is a non-issue, especially since you are not there to do business or establish long-term contacts.

The 'picky eating' problem is a downer. Easily solved in this day and age of internationalism - there are so many places to eat in Tokyo that will not be threatening to your DHB. Still, part of the idea of travel is to expose yourself to new things.

It depends on his attitude. I have two brothers that are picky eaters but one has a happier "i'll find something I can eat" attitude and the other causes problems if he doesn't easily recognize what's on a menu.

As far as language is concerned, get yourself a pocket translation book and look at it on the plane ride over. It's fun and easy to develop a few language skills, and the Japanese are definitely not sticklers for pronunciation. This should be an exciting, fun part of the trip: learning something new. But if you look at is like an obstacle, then that's what it will be. If you don't understand something, then laugh about it to yourselves and move on. Everything will be ok. It has to be.

In terms of 'other activities': I very much enjoyed Namjatown, which is a two-story indoor amusement park located in Sunshine City - this is a multi-skyscraper complex in Ikebukuro with an indoor zoo, aquarium, planetarium, a shopping mall, and a 60th floor observation deck. Most of the amusements in Namjatown will be only in Japanese, but you can buy the cheapest admission-only ticket, and just look around. It's a very foreign, colorful, strange, and wonderful place. Inside Namjatown, there are a couple of great places to eat including Gyoza Stadium which is a collection of about a dozen gyoza (dumpling) stands selected form throughout Japan for their excellent gyoza and other snack items. Cheap stuff, counter service, and if you don't like something you can always go on to the next one. Also there is Ice Cream City with another dozen or so ice cream places; it's fun to look around and try some of their concoctions. Will there be a language barrier? Probably. All of the signs will be in Japanese, but some places will have a card with English translation.

Would your DHB like ramen? It's such a cheap, filling, and amazingly delicious meal. Anyone who eats noodle soup and pork will probably love ramen. For the Japanese, it is an obsession, with ramen masters spending years developing their own secret stock and recipes.

For hotels, prices and offers change so much that it is hard to gauge what is the best deal for you. Just keep in mind the question of how will you get from the airport to your hotel and back again, given your travel schedule. This can be a costly decision.

We stayed at the Toyoko Inn- Tennozu Isle because of its proximity to Haneda Airport. A spacious room for 3 during the summer was 11,000 per night all taxes included. This included breakfast. Great room, a convenient location, but in a desolate shopping-mall neighborhood.

OUr first trip we stayed in the Park Lane Nishikasei, which has now changed names. It was a good deal at the time with a shuttle to TDR, a limo bus ride from the airport. and right near a subway stop to go to Tokyo.

Another Maihama hotel is the Fiftys Hotel. I have not stayed there.

http://fiftys.com/en/index.htm

It depends on his attitude. I have two brothers that are picky eaters but one has a happier "i'll find something I can eat" attitude and the other causes problems if he doesn't easily recognize what's on a menu.

With DHB, it's a mix. He has a capsaicin allergy so he has to be careful and he's also a supertaster (according to the Dr Oz test) so he has a high need to know the specifics of what's in a dish. Luckily Japanese food generally isn't spicy, so I think he'll be fine with ramen and grilled meats if western style food isn't available. I think the plastic models will be a huge help as well. Me, I'll be the first one to try an octopus ball!

...and the Japanese are definitely not sticklers for pronunciation.

Unlike the French ;-) I just loved the fact that few Parisians admit to speaking English until they hear my French...then they suddenly remember their schoolbook English (because they can't stand to hear their language butchered). DHB and I both share an interest in languages (this man actually spent hours learning Irish before a trip to Ireland) so I don't think the language will be that big an issue (esp. if I find some apps for him....the guy loves his gadgets).

I think his biggest concern is our height/size and personal space. The hotel bathrobe that is a miniskirt. The hotel slippers that don't fit. Getting poked in the eye by an umbrella. Rush-hour subway riders packed like sardines. The whole 'foreigness' of it. In a society where the nail that sticks out gets hammered down (出る釘は打たれる), there is some concern about being the nail (not literally obviously ;-)

For hotels, prices and offers change so much that it is hard to gauge what is the best deal for you. Just keep in mind the question of how will you get from the airport to your hotel and back again, given your travel schedule. This can be a costly decision.

Thanks for the ideas about hotel. Hadn't considered staying around Haneda and taking the train or bus to TDR. Yeah, we'll have to see how the hotels shake out as we get closer to the date, but it would be nice to be walking or short train/bus ride away from the parks. Since our flight times we will be wonky (11:30 PM arrival into Haneda, 1:30 AM departure from Haneda) I was thinking, we would likely catch a cab to/from the hotel but that might be a good reason to stay around Haneda. I saw the Fiftys hotel, but doesn't look like it's terribly convenient TDR.

The phrase you quoted may apply to Japanese people in Japan, but certainly not to you. You will be treated with utmost courtesy.

It is much easier (and cheaper) to get to Haneda, so you don't have as much a worry as with Narita.

Mostly it will be very easy for you to avoid spicy foods. Again, if you eat cheaply (like with ramen), then it is not much of a commitment if you don't like something. With your DHB, there are no guarantees he will like what he has, plastic models or no.

Hey, we are from Seattle too! Its still warm in September so bring shorts. Also, based on your height, don't sit in the front car at space mountain. My husband is 6'1 and it was a bit tricky for him to get in and out of the car. ;-)

Thanks for the warning. I have the same problem with SM in Anaheim. Never the front and I always have a little panic attack when getting in the vehicle. If I don't slide in a certain way (ankles crossed, knees up, butt forward), I can't get the lap bar down. DHB is longer in the torso so he doesn't have a problem with his legs.

The phrase you quoted may apply to Japanese people in Japan, but certainly not to you. You will be treated with utmost courtesy.

Understood, but it affects DHB's thinking. That's why I said "not literally" in previous message. For some gay people, "conforming" can be a very sensitive issue. I understand we will be treated with the utmost courtesy (unlike many areas of the world) but that doesn't make the issue any less sensitive for some people.

And I know we've gone off-topic here. Just attempting to be honest and open about DHB's concerns. Thanks for the reassurances.

I will agree with your DHB that the robes will be short, the slippers most likely won't fit and don't rely on hotel pajamas (my husband put on a set from the Disneyland Hotel, it was kind of comical). However it shouldn't deter him from coming. Tokyo and Japan are beautiful and the locals are very polite and accommodating, especially if you are polite in return and try your best to use a few Japanese phrases. Gambatte!

Nobody looks twice at my tall, pale husband in Japan, but don't be surprised if Japanese school kids try out their English phrases on you. They love Western culture and often wear shirts in English (I don't think they always know what they say - I have seen several shirts with American profanity on them) :)

If you want to go out and about in Tokyo, I think moving hotels, maybe closer to the Yamanote line might make the trip more fun. There is so much to do just off that line itself you could be here for years. Its also quick access to a lot of other lines as well, depending on where you want to go.

If you have time, check out Kamakura. Very beautiful shrines and because a lot of tourists go there, there is a fair amount of English. Depending on where you are coming from, its about an hour or so by train out of Tokyo.

As far as food, if your DHB likes pasta you will be set. When in doubt look for a Saizeriya! :)

Japan is great - you will have a fantastic trip!

The Yamonote line is a railway line as opposed to the subway. The problem I've had is that the trains don't always go all the way where you think they're going to go. Twice -on two different vacations- I've gotten on Yamonote trains going in the correct direction but stop en route at a midway station, pause for a long time, then reverse direction. The other people on the train seemed just as confused as I was. Many, many Japanese got on the train, waited for about 5-10 minutes, then got off without the train moving.

Subway only stations are very small, easy to navigate, and the platform is only steps away from the entrance/ticketing machine. You can't get lost or confused. Train stations are large, and you could walk for blocks from the entrance to get to the platform, meanwhile you will pass many different crowded corridors. A hotel near a train station could still take blocks of walking until you actually get on a train.

First question. I haven't seen anything explicitly stated, but I assume for a 4-day park hopper, the 4 days have to be done in a row?

That's correct.

Second. We're looking at do this as comfortably budget as we can. I found Hotel MyStays Maihama. 10-minute walk to DisneySea and they offer a shuttle to Maihama station (and there are also buses that run regularly to the station). Early booking specials start at 8700Y/night (which strikes me as a *really* good rate). TripAdvisor reviews look good. Anyone know anything about this hotel? Are there other decent hotels comparably priced and as convenient?

I have no personal experience with the hotel, but if you look it up on Google Maps/Earth, you'll see that it's located in an industrial/warehouse area. It is close to DisneySea - and in Japan, safety is rarely a concern - but it won't provide a particularly magical start/end to the day. Another option to consider for a budget stay near Tokyo Disney is the Dream Gate Maihama, which is located under the train station - the reviews are generally good (although mostly in Japanese), so it seems that it's well insulated.

The MyStays Hotel is only an 11 minute walk to Disney Sea and the same for Ikspiari, their version of Downtown Disney. It's an 8-minute walk to the Disney Ambassador Hotel, A 20 minute walk to TDL. I would consider staying there for visiting TDR, but I would change hotels in order to visit Tokyo.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. The reason I'm investigating so early is because one of our options was an RCI exchange into their one Tokyo location (Sun Members Tokyo Shinjuku) but I'd have to put in the request soon in order to be assured of getting in. So wanted to see what other budget options there were in terms of accommodations convenient to the park.

Given the fact that the hotel is an hour train ride away from the parks and we would need to stay there the entire week for the exchange, I'll either go with staying someplace close the parks or doing as several of you have suggested of splitting the trip. Might consider vacation apartment rentals in Tokyo proper (airbnb has quite a few "entire" home/apartment that are well-reviewed and reasonably priced). Thanks again.

Went to TDL yesterday and drove by the Hotel MyStays Maihaima on our way to a convenience store. It looked nice from the outside and it didn't say rest/stay on it, so that's a huge plus! :lmao:

The location is definitely for those who don't mind walking. If you walk along the main road away from the parks, there is a Lawsons not to far and if you go even further, a family mart. I highly recommend you buy water/beverages there - so much cheaper than in the park!

First question. I haven't seen anything explicitly stated, but I assume for a 4-day park hopper, the 4 days have to be done in a row? I know about the restrictions about hopping on first two days.

The 4 day park hopper's are only available for people who stay in one of the three official Disney hotels (Miracosta, Ambassador or Tokyo Disneyland Hotels). There is a 4 day pass you can buy, you have to choose which park you visit on the first two days and you can hop on the second two days, as yes (as far as I understand it), all tickets have to be used on consecutive days. I hope this is helpful - we are heading to TDR on 1 Nov - it's only 8.5 weeks now - getting so excited!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter