First time Universal visitor need a restaurant please

We like Finnegan’s and Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. We also eat at Margaritaville and Cowfish, but prefer the first two.

I love all food, Italian is always my preference but NY born and raised so I’m very picky with my Italian food. Looking for a nicer experience I’m familiar with Disney so the equivalent of a “signature restaurant “ at Disney
I would take the boat from City Walk to Portofino Bay and eat there if you like Italian.

BigFire and Cowfish are both great options.
Do you need a reservation to eat at either of these? And what's the cancellation policy at UOR? BigFire has no times available for dinner on our dates, but Cowfish does. Just wondering if we can still get in without a reservation.

Do you need a reservation to eat at either of these? And what's the cancellation policy at UOR? BigFire has no times available for dinner on our dates, but Cowfish does. Just wondering if we can still get in without a reservation.
It’s always a good idea to make a reservation just in case, especially if you’d like to eat at a specific time or have a larger party. There are no penalties with canceling a reservation at UO.

Cowfish and Toothsome are typically more difficult to get a reservation last minute, or sometimes even several weeks out. If something is booked, and you have your heart set on it, keep checking as many find reservations last minute occasionally due to cancellations. If sitting at the bar of a restaurant is an option, that’s a great possibility for last minute as well.

Be sure to visit the Aventura Resort and take the elevator to the Rooftop Bar for the best view of everything everywhere !
I think it is called Bar 17 Bistro because it is on the 17th floor.

Thanks @wdwrule . I went ahead and reserved Cowfish, but I am also considering Bubba Gump since we've never been. Does it take very long to get our of the park and into City Walk?

Cowfish is close to the park end of CityWalk, maybe 3-4min walk from the park gates. 5-6min if you're walking slow at the end of the day.
Bubba Gump is a little further along.
The entirety of CityWalk is maybe an 8min walk from park gates to the moving sidewalks, or 12 if you're walking slow at the end of the day. Either way, not too bad. If you're starting way in the back of either park, that will add a decent walk.

I would definitely choose Cowfish over Bubba Gump …
We love to sit upper level outside patio especially to watch crowds and colorful lights at night ! It is the only restaurant our entire family always enjoys what we chose and they have incredible French fries!
Be sure to visit the the nearby Red Coconut Club Too !

Last edited:
Be sure to visit the Aventura Resort and take the elevator to the Rooftop Bar for the best view of everything everywhere !
I think it is called Bar 17 Bistro because it is on the 17th floor.
How is the food at Bar 17 Bistro? I'm checking into Aventura on friday and am considering going there. I've also heard that Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls is pretty good so I'm unsure whether to go to Bar 17 Bistro or walk over to Sapphire Falls. It'll just be my sister and I and neither of us are picky eaters. We enjoy all types of cuisine.

I’m just recommending Fun places to go .
Most people miss these places unless you go all the time!
I’ll be there this weekend
Love Universal Studios I just live closer to Disney … hopefully someday I will love Disney again.
My favorite place to eat at Universal would be the Today Cafe … very casual .

My favorite place to eat at Universal would be the Today Cafe … very casual .
How do you find the service here? We went once, in the morning - they were super godawful slow, for what should be pretty easy to-go cold breakfast dishes. Tasty, but we waited maybe 10-15min in line plus 25-30min for food. For that reason I haven't been inclined to try again. But maybe we hit an off day?

How is the food at Bar 17 Bistro? I'm checking into Aventura on friday and am considering going there. I've also heard that Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls is pretty good so I'm unsure whether to go to Bar 17 Bistro or walk over to Sapphire Falls. It'll just be my sister and I and neither of us are picky eaters. We enjoy all types of cuisine.
We much prefer Strong Water for quality but I recommend Bistro for a drink and to look at the amazing views. You can go up there to just check out the views. You can see UO park of course and some of the Disney parks as well. This is a big factor of why we stay at Aventura frequently… the views from the mid to high floor rooms are stunning!

Thanks @wdwrule . I went ahead and reserved Cowfish, but I am also considering Bubba Gump since we've never been. Does it take very long to get our of the park and into City Walk?
Bubba Gump’s does not take reservations but if you get a Landry’s card they’ll give you priority seating. We got one for around $25 and they give you a $25 gift card… I think that promotion is still going on.

We much prefer Strong Water for quality but I recommend Bistro for a drink and to look at the amazing views. You can go up there to just check out the views. You can see UO park of course and some of the Disney parks as well. This is a big factor of why we stay at Aventura frequently… the views from the mid to high floor rooms are stunning!
Thanks for the tip! We'll do exactly that to get the best of both worlds. The menu at Strong Water Tavern looked more appealing but I didn't know if anything at Bar 17 Bistro was a "must try".

I got a REALLY good AP rate for Aventura so that's why I picked it. Also to be able to get pretty easy access to Volcano Bay.

Thanks for the tip! We'll do exactly that to get the best of both worlds. The menu at Strong Water Tavern looked more appealing but I didn't know if anything at Bar 17 Bistro was a "must try".

I got a REALLY good AP rate for Aventura so that's why I picked it. Also to be able to get pretty easy access to Volcano Bay.
As far as a must try, I’m not sure. We’ve been up there several times but more often than not, just to check out the views. Twice we just got drinks. Awhile back, we did get some food but I don’t remember what we had… So I guess the food wasn’t too memorable. Yes, those AP rates at that hotel are awesome!

I think the small plates at Strong Water are very good. The bartenders are also very good. We did try some food at Bar 17, and drinks. We now only go to Strong Water. However, we have gone to Bar 17 to take pictures, as nice place in a very clear sky to see far.

How do you find the service here? We went once, in the morning - they were super godawful slow, for what should be pretty easy to-go cold breakfast dishes. Tasty, but we waited maybe 10-15min in line plus 25-30min for food. For that reason I haven't been inclined to try again. But maybe we hit an off day?
Had a similar experience there in mid-April for lunch. Plenty of staff, not crowded, took probably 1/2 hour for a fairly basic sandwich.

hey, I"ve only been twice, but both times were good service. Second time was too good. I used mobile order the second time, last June. I don't recall hitting the 'I'm here, prepare my food, ' but when I got to the cafe, my food had been ready for about 20 mins. The TM said they were just about to cancel the order! I might've accidently pocket-hit it, but idk. The previous time, I ordered in line, so I could change up a lot of stuff for my son. I did wait a bit that time ,but nothing extraordinary. I love their sandwiches. I think Bread Box is just as good, and a little cheaper, but Today Cafe has been a good enough option for us.
Also though, there isn't much indoor seating, so I wouldn't count on that.

Last edited:
Some of the best service Ive received at Universal has been the Today Cafe from the ladies at the register. That place is SLAMMED busy most mornings, but god they were so sweet and nice in the middle of everything they were doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter