• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time...what shouldn't we miss?

JennyG999

Earning My Ears
My DH & I are going to WDW in November, and I would like to surprise him with reservations to a nice dinner somewhere in / around the parks.

I have NO idea what any of the restaraunts are like, but would LOVE to know if there are any MUST sees?!?! I saw the thread about the Fantasmic deal, but any others???

Thanks in advance!

Check out wdwig.com for menus for all the restaurants at WDW. I've never had the opportunity to have a nice dinner so I can't be of any more hlp.

Hi Jenny,
Here are my suggestions:
CA Grill or Artist Point.

Both are amazing resturants. Please check out the menus to see if they are to you liking. Another great place is Le Celliers but because it is in the middle of EPCOT it can be busy and nosy sometimes.

~Amanda

Thanks for the recommendations & the link!

Is there any restaraunt not to miss because of the experience (rather than the food?) My example would be the Fantasmic dinner.

I am from So Cal & am a big time Disneyland fan & would love to have a special experience at WDW.

Thanks guys! I wish I could search the boards, but from the posts I have read, you all seem SOOO knowledgable!

California Grille is excellent, not only for the food, but for the view. It's on top of the Contemporary Resort and you can see ALL over Magic Kingdom and the surrounding resorts! It's quite a site to see!::yes::

Artist's Point is also great! It's at Wilderness Lodge, which has a cool atmosphere in itself, and the food is delicious! I recommend the cedar plank salmon! ::yes::

Also, these are more snacks, but there a MUST on our list EVERY trip: Dole Whips from Magic Kingdom, Crepes on a stick from the Boardwalk and the grapefruit cake from the Hollywood Brown Derby! They are all fantastic!!!!::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

I second the California Grill...get there about 1 1/2 hours before the fireworks!! SOOOO worth it!!!!

We usually get there about 5:45 ( Feb, the park closes at 7) by the time we are getting dessert and coffee, the lights dim and the music and firworks start!!!

Enjoy...I am trying to make this Feb plans now!

How about a nice dinner on the Boardwalk.. a great dinner at Flying Fish, then dancing at Atlantic Dance, or rowdy fun and dueling pianos at Jelly Rolls.

You mention the Fantasmic dinner experience - but you do know that you eat at a restaurant at MGM then get a voucher to go and see Fantasmic. You don't watch it while you dine. You probably know this but I didn't want you to be disappointed!

My picks for a great meal:

Kona Cafe in the Polynesian Resort - great food and you can walk down to the beach afterwards to see the MK fireworks!

Yachtsman's Steakhouse in the Yacht Club - walk over to the Boardwalk afterwards.

Originally posted by JennyG999

I am from So Cal & am a big time Disneyland fan & would love to have a special experience at WDW.

I believe you are going to be wowed just by experiencing WDW for the first time. There is just no true comparison of the two places except that Disneyland is like MK. We are from Arizona and visited Disneyland all the time. We prefer to fly across the country and spend more than we would in Southern California to go to WDW now!

Anyhoo, back to your question.......guess it depends what atmosphere you want. Do you want a romantic time, fun time, character time? Here are some places we like for the fun atmosphere and the food: Ohana's, Bomas, Prime Time 50's, Whispering Canyon, Garden Grille, and Tepanyaki. Personally, if I could only do one on my trip, I think I would do Bomas for a big reason, I love to go out while waiting for my table and look at the lovely grounds of the AKL. The animals are incredible. DH's first choice is Ohana's, the food and atmosphere are great.

Hope this helps. Stick around and you will get all you questions answered. We had our best trip because of the information I got from these boards.

I too would recommend the California Grill. Also, Jiko is very beautiful and you can get there early and look around the lodge which is awesome.

We like to try at least one new restaurant every time we go. Each one has something that makes it special. For food, ambience, and location we like California Grill. Make a PS about two hours before the fireworks. By the time you finish dessert and coffee, you'll be able to step on the observation deck and watch the fireworks. There is also a panoramic view of the resort area. We haven't found a better venue for watching the fireworks.

The bar there is also excellent. Best vodka martinis on the planet. I'm sure they do just as good a job on all the other less desirable drinks. While a fine dining establishment, most people still come casual, which makes it very relaxed.

If you want it quiet or romantic, this may not be the place for you. For that, Jiko is the ticket. The food there is excellent as well, and the hotel and restaurant are truly unique in their decor and ambience.

For a fun, very Disneyish meal, go to 50's Primetime Cafe. It's themed wonderfully and as far as I know, there are no other restaurants anywhere that are like it. Besides, the food is excellent too.:D

I don't know if your able to do this at Disneyland but dinner at the castle is pretty romantic and the menu is great for dinner. Just the thought of eating at the Cinderella's castle makes you feel like your eating with your Prince Charming. If that doesn't appeal I would recommend either Jiko (great wines fab food) or Boma. AKL is a breath taking resort. Very romantic. You feel like your transported to an exotic destination. Your own safari. OMMG:o Now you know some of my role playing fantasies. LOL Hey Life's too short not to have dreams.

As everyone has said Cal Grill is wonderful. Can be expensive but the view is incredible and the food delicious.

Here are some other suggestions:
Narcoosees-on the water with windows that give you a great view of the castle and all the boats passing by. Very good Seafood. You might even get a view of the electrical water pagent.

Yachtsmans St-IN the mood for beef this is the disney restaurant for you. Food always good and service impecable.

Dinner Show- Poly Luau, then mai tais on the beach as you watch the MK fireworks.

Beaches & Cream-an old fashions sundae shop, serving the best burgers & ic sundaes on property.

Parks: Mama Melrose, Le Cellier, Marrekesh (fun show), Matsunoma Lounge(Tempora/sushi and a beautiful view), lunch at Liberty Tree tavern.

Have you thought about a fireworks cruise. Have dinner then board a boat that anchors in a prime view location for you to watch the fireworks and toast the evening with champagne.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter