First Timer Going Over Spring Break -- Couple ?s and Annual Pass Upgrade

Lalalyn

Mouseketeer
We are making the jump from Disney to Universal. What did me in was the thought of getting up at 6:45 on my first vacation in two years to buy ILL$ and making Genie+ reservations during one of the most crowded times of year.

Tentative plan is to stay at Portofino Bay. Three kids ages 12, 9 and 9 and one DH.

Thinking we'd stay 5 nights at Portofino and then one night at airport Hyatt before an early morning flight. (Spring break flights stink and I feel like I'm late to the booking time already.)

Given we are going at such a busy time, how long would you expect us to wait in the lines that have Express Pass? More than 20 minutes?

If I get a three park pass, can I use that three park pass towards an annual pass that includes only two parks? The pricing is weird. I discounted 5 day three park pass on a third party site is the same amount as a two park preferred annual pass.

That may lead to a third question, is Volcano Bay worth it if we are first timers and kids will definitely want to spend time at Portofino Bay pool? Disney is so unrelaxing -- I'm wondering if with fewer parks we might get more time relaxing by the pool.

We haven't been to Spring Break in 4 years, but have been at busy times (Thanksgiving/President's Day). In the morning, EP lines tend to be quite short (5-15 minutes), even as the regular lines start hitting 60+ minute waits. Early afternoon is when the park gets really buys, and we've seen 45+ EP waits in some cases. We usually grab a late lunch and go back to the resort for a nap/swim. Then we head back in the evening and the lines are reasonable again.

If you go to VB, then you can only upgrade to a 3-park AP. As you noted, the APs for VB are quite expensive to avoid Blockouts. We've never gone to VB, as we prefer to spend time in the main 2 parks and have water parks back home.

is Volcano Bay worth it if we are first timers and kids will definitely want to spend time at Portofino Bay pool? Disney is so unrelaxing -- I'm wondering if with fewer parks we might get more time relaxing by the pool.

I have never been to Volcano Bay, but if you know your kids will definitely want to spend time at the hotel's pool and will be happy relaxing at the hotel pool, it might make sense to save your money and skip Volcano Bay this trip. With the amount of time you have, you can probably do all of the rides, shows, shopping and food you want and still have time to relax near the hotel's pool.

I have never been to Volcano Bay, but if you know your kids will definitely want to spend time at the hotel's pool and will be happy relaxing at the hotel pool, it might make sense to save your money and skip Volcano Bay this trip. With the amount of time you have, you can probably do all of the rides, shows, shopping and food you want and still have time to relax near the hotel's pool.

That’s where I’m leaning now. Skip VB. Take one piece out of equation and enjoy the pool hotel that seems to be pretty nice. Kids will love the slide. And I’m paying enough to be at the hotel — need to enjoy it!

We haven't been to Spring Break in 4 years, but have been at busy times (Thanksgiving/President's Day). In the morning, EP lines tend to be quite short (5-15 minutes), even as the regular lines start hitting 60+ minute waits. Early afternoon is when the park gets really buys, and we've seen 45+ EP waits in some cases. We usually grab a late lunch and go back to the resort for a nap/swim. Then we head back in the evening and the lines are reasonable again.

If you go to VB, then you can only upgrade to a 3-park AP. As you noted, the APs for VB are quite expensive to avoid Blockouts. We've never gone to VB, as we prefer to spend time in the main 2 parks and have water parks back home.
This is really good insight. Are there any posted wait times for the EP waits or do you just have to figure it out based on the line?

You just have to figure it out. And not always based on waits - you could pass a 90min wait and be on in 5min, or you could pass a 90min wait & be on in 40min (I'm looking at you, Hogwarts Express!). But either way, it's much better.

Also you can always add VB while you're there if you want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter