First Timer- How Formal is "Formal"?

wisblue

DIS Veteran
Doing our first ever cruise (Alaska) in July.

How formal do men dress for the "formal" dinners? I'm already wondering how I'm going to pack for 10 days of widely varying temperatures without making space for something like a suit or sport jacket that I would only wear for one dinner.

Does anyone just go with slacks (not jeans) and a collared long sleeve shirt?

You can wear whatever you want, within the dress code. Some people will be in tuxes and gowns, some in polo shirts and dockers, some probably in shorts. It is not a requirement.

My DH rents a tux on the ship, but we think it's fun to dress up.

I work in a law office and just take work clothes with me for both formal and semi formal nights. That's all you guys are gonna get out of me. :D

I'm sick of dressing up at work, so I'd really rather be in capris or jeans. I would never wear jeans in the MDRs though. Except on the first night. :rolleyes1

I havent cruised to alaska yet, but the 3 disney cruises I was on, on "Formal night" I wore my everyday wear, cargo shorts, tshirt, and flip flops. The wifey wore some of her workout gear as well capri's and a shirt. No one said anything to either of us. So basically wear what ever you want, personally I just dont want to waste valuable luggage space with a suit, tie, shoes, etc.

First 3 Disney cruises I wore shorts, t-shirt, and topsiders & never once felt out of place. Then, the kids got a bit older and the DW decided that we would dress up. So, for the past two cruises I've donned a jacket, dress shirt, and slacks. I refuse to wear a tie on a cruise.

We're also sailing Alaska in July (which one are you on?). For Alaska I'm planning to go with my standard jacket, dress shirt, and slacks but the wife is pressing hard for me to break my "no tie on a cruise" rule. We'll see what happens.

On Formal night you will see people go all out, tuxedos & fancy dresses, down to shorts and t-shirts. Do not wear swimsuits to the main dining rooms and you should be okay.

You can wear whatever you want, within the dress code. Some people will be in tuxes and gowns, some in polo shirts and dockers, some probably in shorts. It is not a requirement.

My DH rents a tux on the ship, but we think it's fun to dress up.

What is the cost for renting a tux on the ship?

As others have said, you can wear whatever you want. On a cold weather cruise, my DH and DS will wear slacks and a collared polo or long sleeved shirt and I'll usually wear leggings or slacks and a nice sweater. On our Iceland cruise last year on the Magic, we saw teenagers in pajama bottoms on the MDR on formal night. Unless you really want to dress up, I would just pack something you are comfortable in and would normally wear to dinner.

We have been on 17 Disney cruises as well as others. The first time we did Disney my husband took his tux along and I had a long dress, thinking it would be like other cruises. We quickly realized that it is more casual than others on formal night although most ships seem to be moving away from formal dress which is too bad. It's nice to get dressed up! Now my husband brings a sport coat and I wear cocktail attire to formal nights. We also,get more dressed up for dinner at palo.

Basic Black tuxedo is $85 but they have a lot of options. We've rented from then 3 times and they've always been clean, well fitting and in our room when we check in.

The options seem to depend on the cruise. Looks like for our Mediterranean cruise this summer, the $85 Basic Black is the only option.

We have been on 17 Disney cruises as well as others. The first time we did Disney my husband took his tux along and I had a long dress, thinking it would be like other cruises. We quickly realized that it is more casual than others on formal night although most ships seem to be moving away from formal dress which is too bad. It's nice to get dressed up! Now my husband brings a sport coat and I wear cocktail attire to formal nights. We also,get more dressed up for dinner at palo.

I also enjoy getting dressed up. Just got off the Magic today (Norwegian Fjords) and i would say 90% of the guests dressed up. It was a great sight.

Just off the EBTA. A lot more people dressed up than what we had previously seen on Caribbean cruises. I personally am fine going to dinner in more casual clothing but DH did feel there was a standard being set that he wanted to live up to- so at a minimum he wore khakis and a button down dress shirt. That being said, there was very casual attire being worn, if that is what you want, in addition to all out sequins and tuxedos. You choose!
Enjoy your cruise!!!

I think we're going to do khaki's for my husband, with a nice shirt, and sun dresses for us girls.

I have found that the breakdown is sort of like this: 15% tux, 50 % suits and sport coats, 25% khaki's and polo, and the rest casual. ( give or take)

As formal as you'd like. :)
I just got off the Fantasy a few days ago, and during formal night, I was in a 'little black dress', DH was in a suit. (Jacket, shirt, tie, and black khakis, actually, but it looked like a suit since the colors matched.) My kids were dressed up as well. The families sitting next to us on both sides in Royal Court were in t-shirt and shorts. Being flanked by complete casual made me feel so out of place lol. I had to re-check the schedule on the app to make sure I didn't screw up on the attire theme because so few people were dressed up.

I could care less how others dress, to me, formal is at minimum, a cocktail dress. Dress pants, dress shirt, coat for men. My kids, are also dressed up. I am not bothered by those in Hawaiian shirts, yet applaud those who also stick to the traditional cruising definition of formal. It is so much fun, and adds something special to the evening and the pictures.

I also enjoy getting dressed up. Just got off the Magic today (Norwegian Fjords) and i would say 90% of the guests dressed up. It was a great sight.

We did back to back in February on the dream. We noticed that more people were dressed up in the dining rooms than we thought. As in we didnt see the tank tops and shorts everywhere. Dads usually had a polo shirt and jeans, women with nice tops.

We dined in Palo on the semi-formal night so we can't comment on the dress that time around. But people in general will usually have a button down, and of course the few detractors, as is their right.

We're jeans/teeshirts everyday. Formal or no we're there to have fun and be comfortable, plenty of others are in jeans too so it's no biggie. TBH people in full-on formal clothing stand out a lot more than us relaxed sailors.

Some don't dress up, however we find it fun especially since there are a lot of photo opportunities! The pictures always come out gorgeous when you dress up since they have many backgrounds. Lots of fun and you get tons of compliments the whole night

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter