First timer-must do?

MarriedToAPrince

DIS Veteran
I am considering a trip to Aulani this December. Never been to Hawaii. What are the must do things at the resort and on the island? Thinking 8 nights total due to my husbands work schedule and we live on the East Coast.

We really enjoyed Kualoa Ranch. We did the utv tour and our whole family enjoyed it.

I’m not sure of the ages in your party or how active you like to be. We travel with kids so we weren’t really into harder hikes or anything.

Our first visit was last year and my must do list included hiking Diamond Head as soon as it opened to see the sunrise, Pearl Harbor, and Kualoa Ranch. My Dh and oldest daughter enjoyed ziplining at Climbworks.

We checked out the North Shore and the beaches on the east side, which were beautiful. We aren’t museum people but they have some that people enjoy.

We are also going again this Nov/Dec. and we are looking forward to Manoa Falls, the battleship at Pearl Harbor(missed it last trip), Jurassic tour at Kualoa Ranch. We also stay at Waikiki for 2 days before Aulani so you might consider just heading there for a day or whatever. We had a great lunch at Dukes Waikiki and looking out to the beach looked exactly like a postcard. Reminded me of the Hawaii I would see in Elvis movies.

We also like to have a few resort days to make use of the pool and beach at Aulani.

Have a great trip! Our Aulani trip is my favorite vacation we’ve been on.

Some great suggestions above. Since the OP is coming from the east coast I wanted to suggest a resort day or two at the start of the visit as it will take a couple of days to adjust to the 6 hour difference and recover from the flights.

Don't forget Hanauma Bay Snorkeling if you can fit it in addition to the Great Suggestions given already.

And I know you didn't ask, but me personally, 10 nights min. if I am flying across an ocean to visit anywhere. I know it's hard to realistically go that many days due to work/other constraints for many people, but 8 days isn't simply long enough for me in Paradise!!! I know you won't regret more time if you can possibly make it work.

Great3

Some great suggestions above. Since the OP is coming from the east coast I wanted to suggest a resort day or two at the start of the visit as it will take a couple of days to adjust to the 6 hour difference and recover from the flights.
I personally recommend the opposite approach and planning early morning activities on those first days BEFORE you adjust, like getting to Diamond Head early before it gets so hot. Then schedule at least TWO days at home before returning to work, because the adjustment back is brutal for us.

Must do's:
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Waimea Valley and Pupukea
  • Haleiwa
  • Hanauma Bay
  • Kawela Bay
  • Makepu'u Point
  • Ka'ena Point

And I absolutely love Polynesian Cultural Center - fully worth the price in my opinion and it gives a great overview of Polynesia by kids from the different islands. I just went to the Ranch for the first time in my many years of visiting the islands and did the Best of tour. Nice way to spend the day. After traveling to the islands for over 40 years I am going to try to get to Diamond Head this next time (Labor Day Weekend) but have to be sure to get my reservation. I try to go to Pearl Harbor every other time or so that I visit the area and I am moved each time I go. We have done all the tours there and would recommend any of them. And, if you like zoos the zoo is a pleasant distraction.

Get a MaiTai at Monkey Pod across the street from the resort. The foam is amazing.

And I absolutely love Polynesian Cultural Center - fully worth the price in my opinion and it gives a great overview of Polynesia by kids from the different islands. I just went to the Ranch for the first time in my many years of visiting the islands and did the Best of tour. Nice way to spend the day. After traveling to the islands for over 40 years I am going to try to get to Diamond Head this next time (Labor Day Weekend) but have to be sure to get my reservation. I try to go to Pearl Harbor every other time or so that I visit the area and I am moved each time I go. We have done all the tours there and would recommend any of them. And, if you like zoos the zoo is a pleasant distraction.
I second the culture center. We could have easily spent 2 days there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter