• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First timer needs help w/plan

NorthWoods2Sea

Earning My Ears
:smooth: We leave on April 2nd by car. Since we won't be arriving at CBR until 3:00pm, I have outlined the following plan (which isn't cast in stone, since the kids come first) and I need some input from everyone on whether it's viable or not... here goes -

Animal Kingdom 04-02 4 - 8, then late dinner at Chef Mickeys (the boys always eat late, so no problem there)

Epcot 04-03 with an afternoon break in between. Illuminations. Snacks all day long, no big dinner planned.

MK 04-04 with an afternoon break in between. Late parade and the fireworks (my wife must see tinkerbell, but I dunno...pretty crowded, right ?) California Grill ?

Blizzard Beach 04-05 all morning...

Then we have to leave. Rats, no more mouse ! Planning another escape in Fall 2003. This trip will be our first there ! Thanks in advance to all your replies !!

Well, you'll need time to check in to CBR, of course, then find your room and unpack. You MIGHT be able to make it to Animal Kingdom by 4:00, but they do close at 7:00 that night...consider parking, tram rides, and getting through the gates at the park...you may not have time to see much. (I've found that Animal Kingdom is best to visit in the morning.) CBR is a nice resort...maybe after the long car trip, it might be more fun & relaxing to just hang out at the resort (lie in a hammock on the beach, explore Parrot Cay, play in the pool, etc...Disney resorts are almost as cool as the parks!) until dinnertime.

It sounds like you have a very full trip planned...just remember to expect big crowds...you'll be there at a peak time of year. And it's starting to get HOT here in Florida...so be prepared to take some breaks. (One of the great perks of staying at a Disney resort is how easy it is to go back to your hotel during the heat of the day and cool off in the pools.)

I know since this is your family's first trip, you'll be dying to see & do everything, but you really can't, and you'll have more fun if you don't try to. And, since you're already planning a trip for next year, you can always say, "That looks like fun...we'll try it NEXT time!"

And my final advice...don't hurry from place to place so much that you miss the little bits of Disney magic that are lurking everywhere! Have fun & Happy Disneying! (I hope to read all about your trip when you get back.)

:bounce:

Thanks for the help Stephanie !! Geez, I didn't think AK closed that early. Your ideas sound much more pallatable, especially if its hot there. Today it's 18 degrees in WI. Thanks again

Another option to consider would be to arrive and check in, then head to EPCOT for Illuminations the first evening. You can see quite a bit of Future World and still see Illuminations in an evening. The the morning you have scheduled for EPCOT you could see Animal Kingdom. You would need Park Hopper passes, but we have found that splitting time and seeing more than one park in a day gave the impression the trip was longer than it actually was... Have a great visit!

You could also go straight to AK the first day and just check in after dinner. If the kids have their suits handy they could go for a quick before bed-time swim with one parent while the other one of you checks in and unloads the suitcases I think the AK parade starts at 4:00 so it might make sense to go to AK if you can get there by then. I think many people leave after the parade so it might not be too crowded. If you can't/don't want to do either of these I'd agree that you should go to Epcot the first night since it stays open latest. Remember to use those fast passes to maximize your time. Have fun!!

Sounds like you've got a preliminary plan of attack. I remember the first time I brought my son to wdw. It was right before his third birthday. I flew in from texas, just him and I.
My buddy who lives in tampa met us at the airport at 11pm. Those were the days when I had
about $5 extra per week to take my son to Mickey D's and buy him a happy meal, and I got the 2.99 special. I had timed it so I wouldn't have to buy him a ticket to get in. We used my buddy's car, and he had free rooms at the hyatt. We flew in right before spring break. I remember going into the mk, around 9am, then taking off in the afternoon for a hour break.
The grand floridian didn't fit into my budget. We had to drive off property, then drive back.
The mk was the only park we went to. I look back on it now, and not really sure what I would change. He didn't take his nap, would you on your first trip to wdw?
Getting in at 3pm? You have to check in(not sure of the wait there) find your room, drop off your luggage. Then drive over to ak, shooting for 4pm, right?
The highlights of ak for small children:
Dinoland play area
Pocohantas show
Character greeting at camp minnie-mickey
Bug's life under the big tree
Conservation station(train ride, petting area)
Tarzan rocks show
Triceratops spin
Hester & Chester's Dinosaur store(most every child would love a dinosaur souvenir, heck, my
son could spend 1/2 hour alone playing with all the stuff in here)
Not sure you could cram all this in in 3 hours. Why not go to epcot, like the other person says, which is open later? Check in after you're done at the park you choose.
It's more time consuming than you think. The parks are only open for so long.
Your kids are only going to be this age once in their life. I remember I did wdw when I was 27yo, just going with my buddy. Now I've taken my son four times, and not sure when he's going to outgrow it. Every year, it's a little bit different. And I'm not really sure if it was worth taking him when he was 2yo, just for one day, but hey, I did it.
I would therefore suggest taking the family to epcot on the afternoon you arrive, because it is open later than ak to see:
Honey I shrunk the audience
Living seas
Character greeting bus
Cranium command
Kitchen Cabaret
Innoventions
They don't have playgrounds or small children rides at epcot
Pick the best ones the kids would like, then the last hour tour the world showcase, just looking at stuff, then watch the fireworks(they do get loud and the flames are pretty intense)
Check in and hit the sack for the next day:mk or ak.
At mk, get there early! For hitting some of the big rides early:
Go straight to splash, then big thunder, then over to jungle cruise, and the pirate ride(if your children are not too scared it is a pretty dark ride)
They opened alladin's magic carpets which is right there in adventureland, the kids will love that. When you enter the park, be sure the get the info on character greetings.
Kids love the characters, getting pictures and autographs. I can't tell you how many times I wish I had gotten a certain character for my son.
If you want to appease the children right away:
Hit fantasyland right away. You can go directly there through the castle.
Peter pan, dumbo, and winnie the pooh are the ones you should hit right away.
Then take them over to autopia to ride the cars.
After that, use fastpass when you can.
Children do love the parades, try to be in frontierland when the afternoon parade rolls around.
The fireworks are great at night, stand near the castle to see those and tinkerbell.
There is too much info to give you regarding a plan of attack for specifically at each hour, just thought I'd give you something to start with.
Either way, with my advice, or someone else's take the good and leave the bad. The important thing to remember is to have a great time with your family. Pretty much anyone can take their family to wdw, but the info that you get here can help you to make is special for the ones you love.
By the way, you can get guest of honor badges and autograph books ahead of time through
Jane at: www.gifts of a lifetime.com
There is absolutely no way you can do everything at mk in one day. Believe me, I have tried!
Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter