First Timer! Started planning late and need pointers.

Angelica Rozon

Earning My Ears
So we've never been and I started way too late. Were going in Nov and I am trying to book character dining with no luck. Anyone have some good pointers on how often to try to find spots open and what times usually ar best (late at night?)

THanks guys

People change their reservations all the time. Just keep frequently checking, multiple times a day. We went on a last minute Disney trip last year and I checked like 6+ times a day and was constantly on my phone but we got all the character meals we wanted. Don't give up :-)

Try Cape May breakfast and Tusker House lunch / dinner - still plenty of availability during my November trip!

When we went for the first time a few years ago we started planning under the 3 month mark. Had NO idea you were supposed to do this 6 months in advance. Everything worked out fantastic.

Honestly stalking the ADR site from 3-6 months always feels discouraging for me. Usually not much cancellations. Easily the best bet for you would be to stalk the Nov ADR cancellation thread here (http://disboards.com/threads/november-cancelled-adr-thread-read-1st-post.3510083/) so you can arrange to grab an ADR someone is cancelling.

When someone cancels an ADR they are usually immediately available for others to grab so there really is no best time to check. Just check for ADRs when you can and don't get discouraged. 30 days before your trip is a great time to really stalk the ADR site since people need to pay or cancel before this date. Also there are usually a few ADRs available the day before (or day of) if all else fails as people want to avoid the 24 hour cancellation fee.

You can also sign up for an ADR finder which messages you if a ADR you want becomes available (https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder).

Last edited:
Simplest way is keep checking. We changed an ADR this week for a few weeks from now. I just keep refreshing. Took about an hour.

I will ditto the touringplans reservation finder. It lets you have two active searches going on at one time. A few weeks ago I got a text at 2am that a dinner at Akershus ressie was available at the perfect time! I debated rolling over and checking in the morning if it would still be there, but I knew I would never go back to sleep until I had it booked! So I logged in and grabbed it. Last night- again at 2am!! - I got a text that H&V PPO was available, so I again grabbed it and then went happily back to sleep. On my own, before I tried the touringplans finder, I have had luck grabbing a PPO BOG, no clue how, but boy was I happy!

Many people on here find something the day of, once all last minute cancellations happen. Just depends on your goals and touring style.

I was looking for a Sci Fi 2 weeks out, and touring plans found several ...all at 2 am. I also finally got up and snagged one.

We started planning our September trip within 60 days out because I happened upon a great deal. I was really worried about ADR, but have found everything but Ohana just with checking now and again. Also, used the touring plans finder for a couple. I got everything we wanted except for Ohana on the DAY we want it. I was able to get one on a day that's not ideal. So keep trying and good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter