First Timer to Universal Studios Orlando Resort - Resort Guest entrance?

kkbookmom

Lifelong Disney Fan
We have finally booked our first visit to the Universal Studios Orlando for December. It's just my DH and me. We started researching and it seems the more we read the more questions we have that we can't find answers to. Hoping some more experienced visitors might be able to help. :-)

Background info:
  • Booked at the Portofino Resort.
  • Know it includes EE to the parks. Will consult parks calendar closer to stay to see which ones/when.
  • There is a walking path/boat shuttle we can take to the parks/City Walk.

This is where questions start:
  • Portofino Resort. Is there a better section to request at Portofino to be nearer to the walkway?
  • Resort guest entrance. Where is it? The way I am reading things resort guests have a separate entrance but I can't seem to find it on a map anywhere.
  • Maps. Speaking of maps, is there another option out there other than on the USO website or app? I'd like better detail, for example - show all entrances (presuming there are more than the one at City Walk).

I'm certain we will have more questions in the future as we learn more we need to know. :-)

Thanks!

If you stay at Portofino, you can take the water taxi. You go through security at the boat dock. The boat lets you off in front of NBC Grill. It is slightly closer to the studios than IOA. You can also use a walking path that would bring you out on the path near the studios. You’d go through security there. There are no resort only lines at the turnstiles but we never found them to be too crowded. Can’t help with a room to request as I never stayed there. I hear it’s beautiful.

I am staying there soon and have been told to request the West Wing area to be closest to walkways/boat dock.

I think, from time to time, they have a separate on-site guest entrance - like when the parks are at capacity (rarely happens) on-site folks have priority to get in.

There is only one main entrance to each of the parks. USO used to have a little known side entrance, but I think they stopped doing that.

As PP indicated, there are three places one can go through security:
1 Water taxi dock - at the four resorts that have water taxis (Portofino being one)
2 The walking path - guests walking from Portofino and Hard Rock go through a security screen right before they get to the turnstile area for the Studios park.
3 The hub - used by everyone else. Guests who park at the parks (as opposed to the hotels), were dropped off, walked from an offsite, or took a bus from the on-site hotels.

One through any of those points, you can go to City Walk or either of the parks at will.

If you stay at Portofino, you can take the water taxi. You go through security at the boat dock. The boat lets you off in front of NBC Grill. It is slightly closer to the studios than IOA. You can also use a walking path that would bring you out on the path near the studios. You’d go through security there. There are no resort only lines at the turnstiles but we never found them to be too crowded. Can’t help with a room to request as I never stayed there. I hear it’s beautiful.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

I have this feeling that once we go & look at the same maps later it may all be obvious. Lol Until then I'm a bit lost.

I think, from time to time, they have a separate on-site guest entrance - like when the parks are at capacity (rarely happens) on-site folks have priority to get in.

There is only one main entrance to each of the parks. USO used to have a little known side entrance, but I think they stopped doing that.

As PP indicated, there are three places one can go through security:
1 Water taxi dock - at the four resorts that have water taxis (Portofino being one)
2 The walking path - guests walking from Portofino and Hard Rock go through a security screen right before they get to the turnstile area for the Studios park.
3 The hub - used by everyone else. Guests who park at the parks (as opposed to the hotels), were dropped off, walked from an offsite, or took a bus from the on-site hotels.

One through any of those points, you can go to City Walk or either of the parks at will.

Okay, great. This helps me visualize it better. Thats one of the problems I'm happing with the maps I'm finding. They don't really "show" it. General "somewhere around the giant arches" but not really the gates. I did find a couple youtube videos that walk near but not to the gates. I'll be sure to look for these areas you mention on the maps.

You’re not supposed to video the security checkpoints, so that’s probably why you aren’t seeing them online. Boats do come frequently, and the walk is also pretty easy. We were in the East Wing in May, and didn’t find it further enough away to worry about to the dock.

• I'd like better detail, for example - show all entrances (presuming there are more than the one at City Walk).
The only entrance for both parks is coming through City Walk. Whether you arrive by car, walking path or boat, it all dumps you into City Walk and the gates to both parks are off City Walk.

Resort guest entrance. Where is it? The way I am reading things resort guests have a separate entrance but I can't seem to find it on a map anywhere.
There isn't one at security. As PP mentioned, I think they run the resort guest entrance to the parks when they're at or near capacity since resort guests get priority entry. There is also a resort guest entrance for HHN - when you're facing the Universal arches, its to the far right side near the turnstiles coming from the walking path. I'd imagine that its in the same location whenever else they use it.

I would also add that guests walking from Royal Pacific/Cabana Bay/Sapphire Falls have a security checkpoint on their walking path as well - same exact thing, just the other side of the property.

They don't really "show" it. General "somewhere around the giant arches" but not really the gates. I did find a couple youtube videos that walk near but not to the gates
The security checkpoints are before you get to City Walk, so well before the arches. The gate to scan your tickets where you actually enter the park is just beyond the arches for Universal.

As PP noted, there's a security checkpoint at the main entrance to City Walk where people arriving by vehicle, rideshare, off-site transportation, and on-site bus service will come in. Its before the moving walkway, at the top of the escalator. If you are arriving by water taxi, you will pass through security prior to boarding the boat at your resort. If you are arriving by the walking path on either side, there is a security checkpoint right before you reach City Walk.

You’re not supposed to video the security checkpoints, so that’s probably why you aren’t seeing them online. Boats do come frequently, and the walk is also pretty easy. We were in the East Wing in May, and didn’t find it further enough away to worry about to the dock.
\You know I did wonder about that. But none of the vloggers actually called it out, so it was left as a "maybe....". This info is very helpful.

Sidenote: I saw "west wing" and you just wrote "east wing" and all I can think of is the Beast's Castle. I've been at Disney too long. 😁

The only entrance for both parks is coming through City Walk. Whether you arrive by car, walking path or boat, it all dumps you into City Walk and the gates to both parks are off City Walk.

There isn't one at security. As PP mentioned, I think they run the resort guest entrance to the parks when they're at or near capacity since resort guests get priority entry. There is also a resort guest entrance for HHN - when you're facing the Universal arches, its to the far right side near the turnstiles coming from the walking path. I'd imagine that its in the same location whenever else they use it.

I would also add that guests walking from Royal Pacific/Cabana Bay/Sapphire Falls have a security checkpoint on their walking path as well - same exact thing, just the other side of the property.

The security checkpoints are before you get to City Walk, so well before the arches. The gate to scan your tickets where you actually enter the park is just beyond the arches for Universal.

As PP noted, there's a security checkpoint at the main entrance to City Walk where people arriving by vehicle, rideshare, off-site transportation, and on-site bus service will come in. Its before the moving walkway, at the top of the escalator. If you are arriving by water taxi, you will pass through security prior to boarding the boat at your resort. If you are arriving by the walking path on either side, there is a security checkpoint right before you reach City Walk.

Thank you for all your information, and the additions to others' comments. It really is helpful. There is a point where I questioned "why can't i find this info?!?".

Thanks again!

Thanks for your help everyone! It was been very helpful. It was frustrating when I knew an answer must be somewhere. So I decided to reach out.

I mentioned earlier, but I'll repeat. I have a feeling once I have been there the maps may make so much more sense. 🤪

I have a feeling once I have been there the maps may make so much more sense. 🤪

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that I can vouch for this. I took my first Universal trip in 2019 and felt much like it sounds like you do...overwhelmed with the unknown. One day in, and all was well. Maps were supremely clear after having an actual visual point of reference from actually being there. Don't worry! :-)

My favorite way to 'show' things like this... Google maps. I've oriented the images and will try to describe each. You can always click on the little bar on the bottom right (below the zoom +/-) labeled as "Show Imagery" to see more and/or switch to the satellite view to orient yourself.

Security checks - you will go through one of these:
City Walk Dock
  • The boats all drop off here to go to the parks. The parks are on the far bank of the river, so you walk up into the main part of City Walk, then across a bridge on either side.
Park Entrances

My favorite way to 'show' things like this... Google maps. I've oriented the images and will try to describe each. You can always click on the little bar on the bottom right (below the zoom +/-) labeled as "Show Imagery" to see more and/or switch to the satellite view to orient yourself.

Security checks - you will go through one of these:
City Walk Dock
  • The boats all drop off here to go to the parks. The parks are on the far bank of the river, so you walk up into the main part of City Walk, then across a bridge on either side.
Park Entrances

Holy cow, this is awesome! :-) Thank you so much. My husband is already "walking" around trying to figure things out.

Be aware that early entry is a two stage process. Security opens an hour before early entry. Everyone is allowed through the turnstiles then. The early entry patrons (premier hotel quests and certain annual pass holders) are sorted out at a second checkpoint. What happens on busy days is if you wait until say 15-20 minutes before EE you may be faced with a line that stretches back into Citywalk. Also, presuming things stay the same in December, when doing EE at Islands of Adventure and you want to ride Velicoaster, go to the right through Suess land. If you go to the left and squeeze through the crowd, they will let you into Superhero land but stop you at Toon land. My last comment about EE is during my visit a couple of weeks ago the EE areas were opened to the general public 15 minutes before regular park opening; this may have been a busy weekend thing and not the norm. Keep reading posts to see which Virtual Queue system is working in December, the website version or the app version. EE is great for Hagrid’s and Velicocoaster, but otherwise you will get a lot of mileage out of the Express Passes. On a busy weekend in July our longest wait was 30 minutes (Gringott’s but that was because they merged the line at the ‘elevator’), the majority of rides were in the 15 to 20 minute range with some walk-ons.

Be aware that early entry is a two stage process. Security opens an hour before early entry. Everyone is allowed through the turnstiles then. The early entry patrons (premier hotel quests and certain annual pass holders) are sorted out at a second checkpoint. What happens on busy days is if you wait until say 15-20 minutes before EE you may be faced with a line that stretches back into Citywalk. Also, presuming things stay the same in December, when doing EE at Islands of Adventure and you want to ride Velicoaster, go to the right through Suess land. If you go to the left and squeeze through the crowd, they will let you into Superhero land but stop you at Toon land. My last comment about EE is during my visit a couple of weeks ago the EE areas were opened to the general public 15 minutes before regular park opening; this may have been a busy weekend thing and not the norm. Keep reading posts to see which Virtual Queue system is working in December, the website version or the app version. EE is great for Hagrid’s and Velicocoaster, but otherwise you will get a lot of mileage out of the Express Passes. On a busy weekend in July our longest wait was 30 minutes (Gringott’s but that was because they merged the line at the ‘elevator’), the majority of rides were in the 15 to 20 minute range with some walk-ons.
So if Studios has EE at 8am, normal hours opening at 9am, would I want to be at the entrance at 7 would you say? Or is that too early? Staying at Portofino late August. Since we will have Express Pass for later, not interested in using that time for rides, interested in Ollivanders and spells while crowds are lower. Does this sound good? Lol I am in charge of this trip and want to make the right decisions!
TIA! :flower:

Personally, I had been getting to security one hour before EE, that usually puts me anywhere from 1st to 5th in line at a turnstile. The line at Olivander’s is very short that early, I then start doing the rides. I was not interested in a wand, but I had not seen the little show they put on. Later in the morning the line does get longer but I have seen some comments saying it slackens in the evening. I now use EE only for Gringott’s, Hagrid’s, and Velocicoaster and on my last trip (mid-July changed my arrival to about 15 minutes after EE starts which shortens the security wait and a good portion of the gate line is gone. If you had not done Olivanders and it is going to be a while before another trip, you may want to bite the early wake up bullet and do as you described.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter